Live TV progress

arrbee99

Guest CodeCat5
4 hours ago, softworkz said:

Once another problem that TVnext resolves..

It definitely sounds interesting, I'd love to try it out soon.

emveepee
1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

So does Emby want to lead or just play catch up...

Plex and Emby aren't technology leaders but they are businesses and they need to make money.  Unfortunately IMO Emby decided that focusing on pirate IPTV gave them the best bang for the buck, leaving users who want legal Live TV in the dust.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

arrbee99

I may well know bugger all about running a business, but am fairly sure it helps that it helps to offer something better than the opposition. Well, here it is. Or it would be if we could get near it.

Not all IPTV is pirate of course, I use it here, its just a (free) stream of local TV with, for me, higher resolution. And the usual ads.

emveepee

Sorry I agree not all streaming URLs are pirate.  I don't think you are complaining about mjh URLs tuning speed anyway , but as these URLs are scrapped they probably are not entirely legit either.  

Martin

arrbee99

I guess so, but no-ones charging for them or anything and URL tuning is pretty good. OTA is slow and its got worse. It used to be quite good in Theater, though that was a few years ago. Of course direct play helps in general.

But, you know, all that other great stuff that softworkz did...

Maybe some devs should blow $5 and try out NextPVR directly on a Shield or Apple TV.

emveepee

NextPVR has a direct play Android client uidroid using ExoPlayer that is probably faster then the Android Play store app and it can be sideloaded so no $5.  I actually wrote that one, but the devs would need tuning devices installed in NextPVR.

Martin

arrbee99

I downloaded Uidroid last night and had a 5 minute play (and the store app as well). Thats what started me off on this thread again yesterday. Shows what we could, but obviously don't, have.

The NextPVR server thingy is free and I imagine the odd dev would have a tuner or two already...

Probably shouldn't be encouraging Emby to be as good as NextPVR, but what can you do...

• Haha 2

As I plan to integrate the whole LiveTV stuff into my Emby server I'm looking forward to all those improvements.

Emby will then be my daily driver for basically everything on the TV's.

Great work softworkz, it must be a pain having this being hold back for so long now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neik said:

Great work softworkz, it must be a pain having this being hold back for so long now. 

It's technically superior to the current implementation in every single detail. it fulfills almost all user requests in the area of Live TV that have been queued up over the years. It outperforms all competitors, it obsoletes 3rd party products and provides features that nobody has even been daring to ask for. 
So - yes. I'm living a dream!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

arrbee99

All we can do, I guess, is ask, and ask, and ask, and moan, and hint, and cajole, moan a bit more, moan again, ask @Luke to actually progress this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

Stop teasing us, if it's not going to be released yet.

Released - no! A public beta (separate from regular Emby beta) is the next expected step.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Not aiming anything at you and your brill TV / transcoding etc work, but this year or this decade ?

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, softworkz said:

Released - no! A public beta (separate from regular Emby beta) is the next expected step.

Just in case you're looking for another tester I would be down to test it... 😉 

arrbee99

True, but I don't have it anymore so can't. Don't know if anybody else does...

Though it depends of course on the hardware you have and whatever...

Edit - and the above shows whats possible.

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

emveepee

Even with my obvious bias towards NextPVR, I don't think comparing a direct play client with a browser client is fair I would do this example in Home Theatre or between two Android clients with direct play in Emby.  Emby web is going to be superior to NextPVR web in most transcoding scenarios too. 

Personally I'd be interested in seeing the test with Emby/TVnext hosted on an RPi4 and other Arm SBC's to a client on the same SBC.

Martin

16 minutes ago, emveepee said:

Even with my obvious bias towards NextPVR, I don't think comparing a direct play client with a browser client is fair

No, it's in fact not fair...

But well...even in a browser and even with transcoding, TVnext is still a tiny bit faster...

arrbee99

I was using Emby Theater, which as far as I know (normally) direct plays, though looking at the server while its playing it shows its transcoding. I'm not if if my copy of Theater is very well at the moment.

I guess I didn't illustrate things very well, but I've also tried it on the Shield and still think NextPVR is significantly faster when direct playing.

• Like 1

emveepee

IPTV to tuner comparison testing is equally not fair.  Technically It is not much different than streaming a previously transcoded recording except the bandwidth is typically low. 

Martin