Emby stops playing after ~ 2 minutes through subdomain on iPhone

frostywite

frostywite

I am thinking this may be an IOS bug since it only seems to happen on iphones/ipad. Currently running Emby on Windows 10 VM in ESXi, fresh install, nothing else but Emby and Nginx. Nginx handling reverse proxy with SSL. Have 3060ti passthrough for transcode. Emby connects to mounted network folder. When playing a movie from my subdomain either in ios safari, chrome, edge, the movie starts to play for about 2 minutes then drops and the screen returns back to the movie page. Sometimes the movie plays fine. I have not had any issues playing in browser and a buddy with an android phone has not had any issues playing. Happens on different phones, ipad, wifi on or off, does not matter. Happens if transcoding or not transcoding does not matter. Movies are playing fine in Emby app on myy phone. I have also tried this setup Linux, same thing happens. 

Hello frostywite,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

frostywite

@Luke Hey Luke. I've been trying to catch it in more detail. No way I've been able to pin down a reason to why it crashes but it is most consistent when first starting to play a video. Was able to play a movie for an hour before it just dropped back to the movie page last night. Here is a log. Only info is Emby stopped reported by app @ 15:23:20. Attached is a YouTube link to video demonstrating behavior.

embyserver (1).txt hardware_detection-63796346674.txt

• 2 weeks later...

@frostywite so this is on a remote connection? You may want to try lowering the in-app quality setting. It could just be that the bitrate is too high for the network connection. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

K22R8CT

I've had the same problem for about a month (maybe 2) with safari on Mac, iPhone and iPad, on both beta and stable.

I'm connected directly to the emby sever/port on my local network, so proxy and cell are red herrings.

Posted about it here:

Edited by Anon28109

frostywite

@Anon28109 I did not try Firefox but mine would drop in Edge Browser. I’m running a reverse proxy to my server and hosting under a sub domain. This is the only way I can get around playing videos on my work phone or iPad since I cannot install apps. My personal iPone would do the same thing and drop playing under safari private tab, and chrome. Most consistent thing I observed was it seemed if I waited some time and went to start a movie, it was going to drop between 60 to 120 seconds of playing. Using Emby app never had any playback issues. Since I switched to Jellyfin, I have had zero playback issues on any iOS device with my proxy. 

K22R8CT
16 hours ago, frostywite said:

I did not try Firefox but mine would drop in Edge Browser

What's worked for me (without any random stops) is:

Firefox on Mac.

Emby app on iPhone and iPad.

• 3 weeks later...

Me or the OP? Because I think our problem's the same.

I am as of beta 4.8.0.8

I'll test 4.8.0.9 when the docker build is available (not yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue for me on Safari (Mac and iOS) web app through a proxy. Nothing in the logs expect that the transcoding or direct play was stopped by the application. Currently using Chrome or Emby apps to avoid the issue but that's annoying...

EDIT: found out that activating proxy_buffering in nginx may have solved the issue.

Edited by nSGecko
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 3:21 AM, nSGecko said:

EDIT: found out that activating proxy_buffering in nginx may have solved the issue.

Has this held up?

27 minutes ago, Luke said:

Has this held up?

Unfortunately no. I have random stops here and there… happy to help in any way to solve this.

• 2 weeks later...

@Luke Did you change something that may have helped this topic on v4.7.9 ?

Running iOS 16.1 and emby 4.7.9 seems promising so far… i’ll keep you posted

6 hours ago, nSGecko said:

@Luke Did you change something that may have helped this topic on v4.7.9 ?

Running iOS 16.1 and emby 4.7.9 seems promising so far… i’ll keep you posted

I don't think the changes from 4.7.8 to 4.7.9 will impact this but I'm glad to hear it. Thanks.

3 hours ago, K22R8CT said:

Out of curiosity (because I also have this problem) are there changes in 4.7.9 that haven't been ported to 4.8.0.16-beta?

No, there aren't.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
BillyBane

Hi all,

I had this issue with Emby on Windows for a some time and then I switched to another platform and the issue reappeared. 

After scanning the Windows logs I eventually found that it was the 'unattended sleep' power plan settings in the OS. This is relevant both to Windows 10 and 11. 

Increase the time of the above setting by following the steps here:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/windows_10_goes_to_sleep_early.html#:~:text=1%3A%20Check%20Sleep%20Settings,to%20whatever%20suits%20your%20needs

I'm not saying this is necessarily the answer for all of you, but its certainly helped me.

All the best.