Choppy playback with apply TV and 4K HVEC video in direct play

katbyte

katbyte

I am having choppy playback with 4k content on the latest version of the apple tv app & apple TV 4k (2nd gen) - this occurs in multiple different files. apple TV is wired on 1g lan

image.thumb.png.8d86cbf504a4b8e353549ad2292eeaa1.png

plays fine in infuse, chrome web player, ios app. thou casting gives me sound with a still frame. server version 4.8.0.7 docker on debian linux.

worth noting that on my macbook with wifi max quality 4k 120m it plays fine but is not doing direct play:

image.thumb.png.655afb7a3738f6de2b18bddfb5360c02.png

and infuse for good measure

image.thumb.png.1cdec501baa02f9a1e174207c808278c.png

Edited by katbyte

cwills75

I'm having the same problem.  Even with .mkv files with AC3 audio and relatively low bitrate, anything HDR or DV profile 8.1 on latest Apple TV 4K stutters like crazy.

katbyte

that seems consistent  with what i am seeing. Usually i just use infuse TV when emby has issues but digging into it for my parents i found if i lower the app settings to 1080p 10mbit etc to force transcoding it plays back just fine. but that is less then ideal.

Nomar1245

I've had the same problem for about 2 weeks now. Same file plays fine through Plex and Infuse on Apple TV, and through Emby at 4K and 1080p on Roku, and Google Chromecast with Android TV.

HI, we found the reason for the playback stutter in the recent app update and we'll get getting an update out to the store to resolve this as quickly as we can. Thanks.

TroyKing
On 8/18/2022 at 6:00 PM, Luke said:

HI, we found the reason for the playback stutter in the recent app update and we'll get getting an update out to the store to resolve this as quickly as we can. Thanks.

Hey Luke, I used the latest version of Emby and the issue it’s still there, maybe I’m doing something wrong? Other family members also having the same issue

cwills75
On 8/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, Luke said:

Hi, please try Emby for Apple TV 1.6.3, which is currently rolling out. Thanks.

Where can we find updated release notes for ATV version?  It's not in here:

• 3 weeks later...

I have the latest Apple TV 4K and I have 2 Fire TV's on the same network and the older Apple TV 4K and the even older Apple TV 

The newest Apple TV cannot play a video.   It stutters and buffers and is unwatchable.  The APP Infuse on the same Apple TV is fine.   Infuse plays movies without dropouts and stutters.The oldest Apple TV and the Fire TVs are  fine with Emby.  

the Apple TV APP is 1.6.3

Edited by Canavese