Streaming quality

Luke

Ever since we added the media streams stuff we have not gone back and tested folder rips, so we will probably have to do that.

Tikuf, can you look into his avi crash?

Also, Tikuf, we have the 30-second delay before killing ffmpeg when you stop an hls stream. So his system could have just been overloaded. Can you test that code and see if we can lower the delay? Obviously it has to be at least 10 because that's the segment length. But can you test out 15 and 20? We need to make sure we don't have a false positive, where we kill fffmpeg while the user is still viewing.

It took me at least 30 seconds to go find the new id, paste it in and then start the playback so I don't think that was it - but that certainly sounds like it could produce an issue.

Eric looking at your logs there are a few different errors causing this

1) bd rip

Looks like two instances of ffmpeg started within 8 seconds of each other

the first exited with

10:20:26.143, Error, Access to the path 'C:\Users\Eric\Documents\MB 3.0\mediabrowserserver\ProgramData-Server\cache\hls\66f11917-e335-3af2-4d5c-944e1c183191.m3u8' is denied.

the second looked like it was sailing along fine then exited

2)I can see no reason why the dvd was choppy (in the logs anyhow) it was converting at 250 frames per sec which is more than enough. I will give you a c/l to get a few mins of the video so i can play with it try to find the issue

3)This is a problem with no framerate listed in the file (returned in the json as NaN) this should be fixed have you re scanned your lib. lately?

4) Seek wil sort of work but only in segments that have been created and q'ed on the device vlc doesnt like seek at all (the full duration will come up when the file has finished processing)

I think I know how Plex handles seeking and displaying the duration. All the Plex apps use their own custom ui's, and the players all have their own transport controls. In other words, not the generic android transport UI. Then they use this to show the duration using a value from metadata, not a dynamic value coming from the player.

Then when you seek, they probably just start a new stream at that time offset.

Does this sound right Tikuf? This is all possible for us but it remains to be seen if any of our ui developers will go to that length.

Redshirt

I've been using the metadata runtime rather than what's reported (or not reported) from the stream when it comes to displaying video length in my playback window. You've actually just described an idea that's been rolling around in my head for a couple of weeks now. It's the only way I can think off to seek.

Ya there is no way for us (via hls) to know the length before its finished transcoding unless we premake all the playlists. Plex is doing it by using the duration according to MI rather than the playlist.

@red ya the only real way to seek would be to stop the stream and restart a new stream it at the given time which would be a good way to do it. That being said it may not work very well with hls but on all the streams that use stdout it would be perfect.