Next up inconsitency

quickmic
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

quickmic

Hello

I'm reviewing the pattern how next up indices the episodes. I assume there is a issue otherwise I cannot explain what is listed:

Let's compare "Strange new worlds" and "Doctor Who".

SNW, next up lists Episode 10. As you can see there is a watched-gap on Episode 8. btw. E1-7 was also tagged as watched (not in the screenshot).

Based on this pattern, next up seems to select the episode after the last watched.

SNW has only 1 season, I assumed next up would "browse" all episodes following the pattern. -> episode after last watched is the one.

Compared with DW this is not the case. Next up select S07E11 even there are watched episodes on S08, S09 etc.

Ok, so maybe next up follows the patter, but interrupts after a positive match and the season changed.

Would explain the view, but also makes no sense when it comes to order. Next up sorts the episodes by playdate. In this case S07E11 is wrongly ordered unless next up uses the the last played date from all episodes from a show. I would assume it uses the last play date from S07E10 (the one watched before E11).

However, this makes not too much sense to me.

Please let me know, if this is by design (I hope not) but if. What's the pattern?

Thanks.

nu0.png

nu1.png

nu2.png

nu4.png

Edited by quickmic

37 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Based on this pattern, next up seems to select the episode after the last watched.

That's correct but "last watched" is exactly that - the last one YOU watched, not the highest number episode that is marked watched...

• Like 1

quickmic
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

That's correct but "last watched" is exactly that - the last one YOU watched, not the highest number episode that is marked watched...

So it's not related to episode orders or seasons? Next up queries the last play date and the next (unwatched) episode in a show is the selected one?

That would mean, DW S07E10 probably has the highest timestamp but not necessarily.

e.g.

S07E01-E010 are all watched.

Let's assume S07E05 has "highest" timestamp. Next up would use S07E05 as entrypoint and start query episodes asc by episode number.

From SQL/coding point of view means: Select all episodes, order by lastplayed -> loop all episodes from lastplayed and select first unwatched found.

Correct?

Edited by quickmic

• Solution

Correct.  So the logic is to show you the next one in the sequence in which you are actually watching.   When you don't watch series in order - or you re-watch them without marking them unwatched, the logic is not always going to be exactly what you want but it is the best guess we can make.

• Thanks 1