Stuttering through Emby Web/Mobile

ryderjj89

ryderjj89

Updated quality for a couple titles and went to test them out and they are stuttering so bad, it's unwatchable through Emby on web and even using Emby on my phone. Happening with all 3. They were all labeled as being x265, if that makes any difference.

The Emby on web is a hardwired device, the phone is obviously wireless.

When I test the video file itself in a media player, it's perfectly fine. No issues. I'm not sure what would be causing this or how to fix it. I am on the latest stable version, 4.7.5.0.

Hi.  Exactly what did you play at what time in that log and exactly what problems were seen?

Also, if you lower the quality setting in the app, does that solve the problem?

ryderjj89

Here's the timestamp for when playback started: 2022-07-28 08:30:28.687

The problem seen was intense stuttering. See the attached video. This was on "Auto - Direct Play" for quality. I lowered quality to "720 - 3 Mbps" and the problem persisted.

That looks like it could actually be a frame-rate issue since the audio is unaffected.  What is the media info shown at the bottom of that page for this item?

This issue is only with these new videos you added?  Where did they come from?

ryderjj89

Video/audio info is attached. And yes, this only persists with these new copies. Where did I get them from? Where do most people get their media from? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just not blatantly stating where content comes from on a public forum.

You are correct that the audio is fine and the file will play fine when not using Emby to play it.

info.png

Hi. You said you "upped" the quality of these items but that is only 2mb/s.  What was the previous quality?

Odd to see a movie in hevc at only 2mb.

ryderjj89

When I mean I upped the quality, the previous copies I had were like SD quality, not even 720. Barely over 480 really.

First thing I would try is a different source for a truly higher quality version.  2mb is very low for a 1080 item.

ryderjj89

Yeah I figured I could get a different copy that would probably play better. But I wanted to report this issue for the sole reason that it plays perfectly fine outside of Emby and other content plays fine in Emby. This led me to believe that there is some issue with Emby causing the playback issue.

ryderjj89

I can confirm that a better copy that's 1080 @ 8 mbps bitrate is playing just fine in Emby. So I'll just go with that. Hopefully the team can at least do something with the info I've provided to improve Emby.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Was it direct playing?

Yes.  And only 2mb so would have to lower quality all the way to 1 to get it to transcode.  I didn't even have him try that.

So either the nitrate is too high for the network connection or the browser video player is just having trouble with that file , which we've seen examples of before.

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

So either the nitrate is too high for the network connection or the browser video player is just having trouble with that file , which we've seen examples of before.

If you watch his example video, I think it shows this is not a bandwidth issue because it isn't stopping and starting (and audio is consistent throughout).  It looks like a problem with the encode/framerate that the player just doesn't like.

Also, we're talking a 2Mb file here.  Hard to believe that would be any problem on any network - plus the 8Mb one plays fine so that kind of rules that out too.

ryderjj89

Yeah Luke. Direct Play on web and the Emby app on my phone, same issue. Wasn't just the browser on my desktop. Audio was good, wasn't buffering, just the stutter.

Ok if that's true then there's not much we can't do other than possibly detect it and switch to transcoding.

25 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

Yeah and there's no way to force it to transcode, correct?

Not currently other then the quality setting.