File naming, multi-episode file (title)

Ametz

Ok so i have a serie with 4 episodes each on 5 discs (files)
(Disc 1 corresponds to episode 5-8)

Disc 1 (One *.mkv file):
2                                : 00:01:04.880 Del 1 - Kristallmonstret
3                                : 00:22:41.840 Del 2 - Rymdapacherna
4                                : 00:44:19.560 Del 3 - Tantar
5                                : 01:05:53.200 Del 4 - Bang Bang molnet

So how should i name it? Something like this?

Starzinger - s01e05e06e07e08 - Kristallmonstret - Rymdapacherna - Tantar - Bang Bang molnet

Edited by Ametz

rbjtech

I suspect you will need to split the MKV into 5 independent files for them to be recognised.

The good news is, mkvtoolnix can do this automatically for you based on the chapters within the MKV -

use the highlighed options below and the single MKV file will be copied into 5 seperate mkv files.

You'll need to name them correctly (so <show name> s01e05 .. to <showname> s01e08 ) - look at the metadata provider (thetvdb etc) and test a few first.  There is no need to give it the episode name etc unless you want to - just the showname and series/episode id (s01e01 etc) is sufficient.

image.png.c5b1f663e044fe69caeb3fb6677c460e.png

Edited by rbjtech

Maybe this is correct?
Starzinger - s01e05 Kristallmonstret - s01e06 Rymdapacherna - s01e07 Tantar - s01e08 Bang Bang molnet

MBSki

No, just name it like this: Starzinger - s01e05-e08 - Titles

Emby will pick up the 4 episodes since they are 1 right after the other.

rbjtech

Interesting - never used it like this beyond 'related' episodes that are joined - ie part 1 and part 2 - 'end of season' type finale episodes.

How does emby know where one episode starts and finishes ?  Answer - it doesn't.

Do things like Introskip work on them as individual episodes ? Answer - no it doesn't.

If it's simply 'identifying' them as ep 5-8 merged - but it still plays from the start of ep5 (needing you to use the chapters to jump to the episode you want) this probably isn't what the OP wants (I know I wouldn't ...) - and it's only suitable for 'related' content where you would normally watch it one after the other anyway.

I believe it will literally list it as one item - but episodes 5-8.

I still believe splitting is the only option if the OP wants them listed as 5 episodes.

As an example below - ep 15 & 16 are one MKV - called <show> s03e15e16.mkv

But I have no way of playing Episode 16 on it's own - if I play it - it will start playing ep15

image.png.286546767be5d84061b81c2124886829.png

Edited by rbjtech

MBSki
14 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

If it's simply 'identifying' them as ep 5-8 merged - but it still plays from the start of ep5 (needing you to use the chapters to jump to the episode you want) this probably isn't what the OP wants (I know I wouldn't ...) - and it's only suitable for 'related' content where you would normally watch it one after the other anyway.

Yes, that's right.

15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I believe it will literally list it as one item - but episodes 5-8.

Yes, that's what it does. 

15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I still believe splitting is the only option if the OP wants them listed as 5 episodes.

If the OP wants to be able to play each episode individually, then yes. 

I just thought of something else though. Would it be at all possible to use strm with a link to a specific time within the video? If so, that could be an option, but I don't know how that could be done or even if it's possible.

rbjtech

It's a 30 second exercise to split them - as the chapter info has already been provided.

I think it will provide a far superior experience if the OP just splits them - they can then use functions on them - Introskip, tags, search etc etc.