Ramifications of changing Emby port to 80

donaldblair

donaldblair

Hi Emby Community:

I've been using Emby now for just under a year and I'm so happy I moved from Plex. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm wondering about what potential issues or the ramifications of changing the Emby port from 8096 to 80? I run Emby on a Hyper-V VM, which also includes other services like *Arr, Jackett and other relevant services. None of them run on port 80, and I don't have IIS installed on that server. It's fairly secured, and my ASA has ports opened to Emby as required for external access... but, I want to avoid friends and other users I invite from typing the port in the address bar, instead of installing IIS and headers and HTTP redirects and all that nonsense.

Are there issues with changing the port number? Will this break anything known? Is it safer to keep the port at 8096?

Happy for all opinions on this. 

Thanks,

Donald

Hi, Emby doesn't care what the port number is. It's more a question of whether your server environment will allow it or not. If it does, then yes i can see how you'd prefer to do it this way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find info on how I would go about changing the port? I've done it in Network settings, shut down and restarted Emby but no dice.

donaldblair
19 minutes ago, alanemm said:

I am trying to find info on how I would go about changing the port? I've done it in Network settings, shut down and restarted Emby but no dice.

There's not a lot of info here to go on... but, have you checked your server's firewall to ensure the new port is allowed?

16 hours ago, alanemm said:

What option exactly did you change? And what exactly does "no dice" mean? What did you try to do?