Download music as Opus

Cwavs

I've looked around, and can't find much an indication of this being discussed which surprised me, so forgive me if this has already been requested, and I missed it. I have a fairly large music library, and sometimes I end up downloading quite a bit of it to my phone. It would be nice if there was an option to download it as opus instead of mp3. Opus being a more efficient codec, could save a fair bit of space on my device over 320kbs mp3. From what I've seen the closest discussion is this request for opus transcoding on the fly, in which being unable to stream an incomplete opus file was cited, however for downloads this shouldn't pose much of a problem, right? It doesn't have to be too complex or anything just a drop down to swap to opus would be nice, however I think it might be an idea to consider adding a text box for the user to choose a container and codec, like in the DLNA settings, just for the sake of future proofing.

OK we actually tried to use opus as the download format in the past but found that some devices had problems with it, even those that technically supported opus. But I think enough has changed since then that we could probably try it again.

• Like 1

Thanks, that would be great, I think regardless its probably worth the option for those who can use it without issues, as opus is a much much more efficient codec than mp3.

• Thanks 1