Classic Installation Fail or I am total NOOB

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to jump out of that and quick mucking up someone else's thread.

My setup is HD Homerun prime, Win7 machine in office it's the machine running WMC, Win 8.1 Dell EPS laptop in great room.  I tried MB Theater and like the GUI but since it's an early release it has no guide and seems to be to early to roll with just yet.  So, someone suggest I try WBC and I downloaded it and tried to install it.

Does WB Classic have to be installed in the machine with Windows Media Center?

I don't have a huge collection of ripped movies (maybe 10).  I am looking to get rid of the $20 per month for the HD DVR in the great room.  What I am wanting to do is use the NAS with 6TB as a big a$$ DVR and watch live tv.  I'd like to be able to watch anything I DVR on other tv's...which I can put an XBOX 360 and a ROKU on.  Both of which stream live tv..which is good, but only the 360 streams live tv with a guide.  I know it uses WMC and that's not supported any longer, so I am looking to see if I can find a solution that doesn't use WMC as the backend.

But, the more I dig into this, it looks like WMC and 360's would be the only solution that would let me watch premium channels live, like HBO and Starz.

I'm a fairly techy guy....been messing with computers for over 30 years and I have worked on large format printers for over 20, but it appears to me on the surface that Media Center came out about 5 years too soon.  No one had enough experience with streaming or a readily available cheap high speed internet to make it really feasible.  Now that these things are available MS pulled the plug because not enough users...just when more people are looking at this.

So is there a solution to use a cable card to watch live tv and use the DVR function for premium channels?  I'm not worried about streaming ripped movies, music, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, etc...I have all that covered already.