Playback issues on Google TV - Stuttering and black screen

Eposia

In the TV app, on the OSD "cog" menu, there is an option called "Playback Correction...".  If you select that, does it make any difference?  You can select it multiple times until the playback eventually gives up.

Eposia
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

In the TV app, on the OSD "cog" menu, there is an option called "Playback Correction...".  If you select that, does it make any difference?  You can select it multiple times until the playback eventually gives up.

Just tried your suggestion, the sample file that was originally stuttering (video and audio) played perfectly but only for about 5 seconds, then went back to stuttering again. Selected the playback correction again, played good for another 5 second then started stuttering again. No good.

With the sample file that was just a black screen, hit the playback correction and it did nothing, didn't start playing, still a black screen, then crashed the app.

Nothing is working.

Eposia

Just playing around with the playback correction some more. The stuttering file started to come good after selecting playback correction about 4 times, but after a minute or so the audio started stuttering a bit again. Clicked playback correction again and it comes good. But it only lasts a few minutes again until the audio starts stuttering, then a few minutes after that the video starts to stutter again. Have to keep hitting the playback correction all the time. This is not great solution. I can't keep hitting the playback correction every few minutes while trying to watch a movie, really frustrating.

The file that was a black screen, tried it again and it actually worked, didn't crash the app this time. Watched the video for about 5 minutes and it seamed ok.

But the stuttering issues is happening on more videos and the black screen issue. Is there anything to do with transcoding settings or other server setting you could suggest?

Can you define exactly what you mean by "stuttering"?  is it just video or also audio?

Eposia

It's both video and audio. If you can imagine, it's like pausing and unpausing really fast, about 100 times a second.

Eposia

15 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you define exactly what you mean by "stuttering"?  is it just video or also audio?

My description of the problem is probably not great, so I made a short video so you can see exactly what I mean by stuttering. Uploaded to my Google drive, link below.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12CZB3b7TvLs8EruuWoT0MB8oiyQ0ohta/view?usp=sharing

I don't believe it's a frame rate issue. All the files I have tested are 24fps. Some play perfectly, others have the jitter issue. As I mentioned in my original post, I never had any issues with the WebOS Emby app, only started having issues with the Emby for Android TV app. Also, turning on "play on external player" in the Emby app and using VLC, all files play perfectly. They only have issues when using the built in media player in the Emby app.

3 minutes ago, Eposia said:

All the files I have tested are 24fps

They are all exactly 24fps?  What video mode is the display in?

Different players on different platforms will have different levels of tolerance for media outside certain bounds so this definitely could be related to frame rate (or some other attribute from the media).  How were the media items created?

Some are 24.000fps some are 23.976fps. But some 24.000fps will play perfectly, some won't. Some 23.976fps will play perfectly, some won't. It's not consistently play some frame rates perfectly and not with others.
I have no idea what "video mode" my TV is. Don't know what you mean by that. But I do know the TV has variable frame rate up to 144fps

I just did a quick test on 2 of files. 1 played perfectly, the other didn't play at all, just a black screen. I have found that most file that are in 2 channel stereo audio have issues, ones in 5.1 are fine. Maybe it's something to do with the audio encoding. It's very hit and miss. Here's the full file info of both.

This one played fine:

General
Complete name               : F:\Movies\Dune (2021).mp4
Format                      : MPEG-4
Format profile              : Base Media
Codec ID                    : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                   : 2.75 GiB
Duration                    : 2 h 28 min
Overall bit rate            : 2 639 kb/s
Writing application         : Lavf58.67.100

Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : AVC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile              : High@L4.1
Format settings             : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
Format settings, Reference  : 4 frames
Codec ID                    : avc1
Codec ID/Info               : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                    : 2 250 kb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 31.3 Mb/s
Width                       : 1 920 pixels
Height                      : 768 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 2.500
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 25.000 FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.061
Stream size                 : 2.34 GiB (85%)
Writing library             : x264 core 161
Encoding settings           : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2250 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=31250 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.709
Transfer characteristics    : BT.709
Matrix coefficients         : BT.709
Codec configuration box     : avcC

Audio
ID                          : 2
Format                      : AAC LC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                    : mp4a-40-2
Source duration             : 2 h 28 min
Bit rate mode               : Constant
Bit rate                    : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 6 channels
Channel layout              : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate               : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                  : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode            : Lossy
Stream size                 : 409 MiB (15%)
Source stream size          : 409 MiB (15%)
Default                     : Yes
Alternate group             : 1
mdhd_Duration               : 8936128

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one wouldn't play:

General
Complete name               : F:\Movies\Dune (1984).mp4
Format                      : MPEG-4
Format profile              : Base Media
Codec ID                    : isom (isom/avc1)
File size                   : 1.80 GiB
Duration                    : 2 h 16 min
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 1 891 kb/s
Encoded date                : UTC 2012-10-08 23:01:43
Tagged date                 : UTC 2012-10-08 23:01:43

Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : AVC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile              : High@L4
Format settings             : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
Format settings, Reference  : 5 frames
Codec ID                    : avc1
Codec ID/Info               : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                    : 1 792 kb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 12.6 Mb/s
Width                       : 1 920 pixels
Height                      : 816 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 24.000 FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.048
Stream size                 : 1.71 GiB (95%)
Writing library             : x264 core 125 r2200 999b753
Encoding settings           : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1792 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date                : UTC 2012-10-08 23:01:43
Tagged date                 : UTC 2012-10-08 23:03:18
Codec configuration box     : avcC

Audio
ID                          : 2
Format                      : AAC LC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                    : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 96.0 kb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 149 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Channel layout              : L R
Sampling rate               : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                  : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode            : Lossy
Stream size                 : 93.6 MiB (5%)
Language                    : English
Encoded date                : UTC 2012-10-08 23:03:10
Tagged date                 : UTC 2012-10-08 23:03:18

Hi. The one that played is 25fps.  Are you in Europe?

Have you tried turning on the option in the app to match the frame rate and resolution of the media?

Not in Europe.
Like I said, different frames don't seam to matter. Some 24 will pay fine, some 23.976 will play fine, some 25 will play fine. It's not constantly playing one frame rate and not another.
I have tried frame rate switching and match video resolution, neither make any difference.

Forget about it. We're not getting anywhere here. I'm done with Emby. Just installed Jellyfin and it works flawlessly. Plays every file that Emby was having issues with. Jellyfin for the win!!!

Are you kidding? This is the third time you have suggested that. Seriously? Is this what you call "support"?  Suggesting that same thing again and again. Sideloading your app never made any difference last week or the week before when you suggested it. You guys are useless. Worst support I've ever experienced. I've switched to Jellyfin and it's perfect. Flawless playback. Ill never use emby ever again. 

You may as well close this "support" thread. If you can call it that. 

Hi, I believe it might make a difference. The only reason I'm asking you to do this is because the standard app is a little bit ahead of the TV app with updates, so if this works out, then that is a good sign that it will ultimately be resolved in the TV app as well.