Playback issues on Google TV - Stuttering and black screen

Eposia

Eposia

Been using Emby for years on my LG TV with WebOS and it worked perfectly. I just upgraded my TV to a TCL with Google TV. Having major issues with playback on many files.

Most files with 6 channel audio stutter, both video and audio is stuttering really bad. Some 1080p files with 6 ch audio won't play at all, just get a black screen. Tried some 1080p files with 2 ch audio and they played ok.

I haven't made any changes to the server setting, they're exactly the same as when I was using my LG TV. Log attached if anyone can help.

embyserver.txt

Eposia

Yes, thought of that already. Updated the server and tried to play the same files. Still the exact same issue.

Eposia
22 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  First thing to try is updating to the latest version of Emby Server.  Should be 4.7.5.

Then, if the problem still persists, please play an item with this issue for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app.

Thanks.

I have sent the log via the app Eastern USA time 07:04 (I think, I'm not in USA) 6 minutes ago from the time on this post. Emby user logged in is under the name Jay. I've included a server log from the same time attached.

embyserver.txt

Eposia
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you disable the subtitles, does the stuttering stop?

My subtitle settings are set to forced only. The files I tried to play to test don't have any subtitles anyway.

Hi.  The log you sent had subtitles enabled:

07-22 19:04:23.293 17118 17118 D EventLogger:   LibassRenderer [
07-22 19:04:23.293 17118 17118 D EventLogger:     Group:0, adaptive_supported=N/A [
07-22 19:04:23.293 17118 17118 D EventLogger:       [X] Track:0, id=3, mimeType=text/x-ssa, language=en, label=English [SDH], supported=YES
07-22 19:04:23.293 17118 17118 D EventLogger:     ]

But you are saying on or off doesn't make a difference?

Eposia

I just turned off subtitles on the server setting and tries play one of the same files, made no difference. Still stutters really bad.

I also just tries enabling playing on external media player, played the same video through emby but using VLC to play. No stutter, plays perfectly. Turned off external player and played directly in emby, stutters again bad.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Eposia said:

I just turned off subtitles on the server setting

Hi.  Can you please confirm that the subtitles were disabled during playback (by checking the subtitle menu)?

Also,  can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

Eposia
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please confirm that the subtitles were disabled during playback (by checking the subtitle menu)?

Also,  can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

Yes the subtitles are turned off. Set to "No subtitles" on the server and also no subtitles selected (none available on the these files anyway) on the app.

Not sure how to install the standard Emby for Android on the Google TV. Not available in the play store on the TV, and trying to install to devices through my browsers says not available for that device, only lists my phone not the TV. So that doesn't help.

Edited by Eposia

Eposia
On 7/23/2022 at 11:43 PM, ebr said:

I have played around with it some more, confirmed subtitles are off on both the server and the individual titles, these are the results:

Emby for Android TV installed on TV: Built in player in Emby - Issues as originally noted, black screen on some files, bad stuttering on some files (both video and audio)

Changed settings to play in external player (in the Emby app): VLC - plays all files perfectly. Built in TV media player - plays all files perfectly

Installed standard Emby app on TV: Built in player in the app - Issues as originally noted, black screen on some files, bad stuttering on some files (both video and audio). Exactly the same problems as the TV app.

Installed standard Emby on my phone and cast to the TV: Built in player in the app - Plays all files perfectly

If I play via the built in Emby player (both for TV and the standard app) it has issues. No issues if I play the files all other ways. Looks like the problem is with the player in the Emby app.

3 minutes ago, Eposia said:

The arm7 version in the link you posted

Hi.  Yes, but what version number was the app?

24 minutes ago, Eposia said:

I understand but the app was updated late yesterday and I'm trying to determine if you tested with that update (I suspect you didn't).  Can you please tell me what version number the app says it is?  Or just re-install from that link and try again?

Thanks.

Eposia

I only downloaded and installed it an hour ago. It is the updated version. The version in that link. I can't tell you what the version number is because I uninstalled it and deleted it as it was useless and didn't solve the issues.

44 minutes ago, Eposia said:

I only downloaded and installed it an hour ago. It is the updated version. The version in that link. I can't tell you what the version number is because I uninstalled it and deleted it as it was useless and didn't solve the issues.

Hi there, why did you think it was useless?

Eposia
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, why did you think it was useless?

Well it didn't solve the problem, hence it was useless. Do you have any other solutions to solve the problem of videos not playing on the Android TV app?

Eposia

So, no other suggestions to fix this issue?

Suggested making sure subtitles were turned off, did that, made no difference. Suggested I try the standard app, did that, made no difference.

Do you guys have any other suggestions I can try? The problem has not been resolved.

Eposia
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly what device is this?

TCL 65C735 running Google TV/Android version 11 build AR2101