Access rights and recommended container formats for streaming

embytestit

embytestit
8 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Actually, I didn't suggest that.  I suggested grouping those thousand directories into folders containing movies which will require the same access, and adding those folders to the library.

Hi Paul,

What requires the same access from today's perspective may have changed tomorrow.

Therefore, in my opinion, a flexible solution that takes this fact into account is preferable to a rigid, restrictive solution.

Kind regards
embytestit

GrimReaper

Or you can avoid folder-based access altogether and go with tag-based rules, which would be more convenient as you can batch-tag with @VicMoore's awesome tool:

GrimReaper
20 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I suggested grouping those thousand directories into folders containing movies which will require the same access, and adding those folders to the library.

I'm of an opposite view and don't think grouping would be particualrly beneficial as OP is asking for a way more granular control. Furthermore, if acces rights are to be changed at any point, it would require filesystem modification as opposed to few checkmarks/clicks within UI. But anyway, for 1000 subfolders that is ilusory anyway. 

In any case, for an excessive number of items like that, I reckon tags are way to go, not folders, as stated above.