Ready to improve performance

iJoMun

iJoMun

Took me a long while but I'm finally ready do the upgrade. Got me a 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe and the @cayars-approved TeamGroup Elite 16GB DDR RAM. It's been a while so I'm just checking in to make sure the guide here is still the "JWST Deep Field" standard for improving Emby performance. Thank you. 

19 hours ago, iJoMun said:

Took me a long while but I'm finally ready do the upgrade. Got me a 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe and the @cayars-approved TeamGroup Elite 16GB DDR RAM. It's been a while so I'm just checking in to make sure the guide here is still the "JWST Deep Field" standard for improving Emby performance. Thank you. 

You should be fine. I'm grad you didn't buy the newer Hynix P41 NVMe as it's the fastest NVMe you can purchase right now and would be a waste in the Synology since it wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. As a matter of fact if you have a 1TB NVMe in another computer you might want to test the speed of the Hynix vs what's in the other computer and trade them out. That would provider a 2 for 1 upgrade. :)  But the Hynix Gold will be fine in the Synology as well.  I typically use my slowest in the Synology as it tops out on throughput.

If you haven't done the upgrades yet, I'd update memory and verify that's working as it should be the easiest.  Go into Emby Server database menu and set Database cache size (MB) to 1024 as you'll have the memory for it now.  It will only use a fraction of that but you've raised the limit so if more memory can be used for faster database access it can now use it vs the standard 96 setting. Check the optimize on startup box as well so it will reorganize the database on next startup (will be a delayed start as it does this one-time).

Then install the the NVMe and follow the directions in the PDF in that thread.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or get stuck.

Carlo

Let us know what you think of the difference after getting things setup and running.

• Like 1

iJoMun

Thank you, @cayars. You're a godsend! I was a little hasty when I installed the RAM. It works fine--I have a total of 20GB now. But then I noticed your comment about checking 'optimizing on startup.' Is that a Synology option or an Emby feature? I'm looking but not finding. Haven't tackled the NVMe yet. I think tomorrow. Thank you.

Edited by iJoMun
  • Like 1

It's an Emby Setting in the latest release of Emby Server.  Should look like this:
image.pngthe las

You won't go wrong using the same settings as above.  Note the last option "vacuum" only does the optimization once and turns itself off.  It's useful to use after making mass changes to the database or maybe once a month just to keep the database in tip-top-shape.

• Like 1

iJoMun

Yeah, I found that earlier today. Didn't know if that was what you meant. I already had the cache at 1024 and the optimization at shutdown checked but not the vacuum. It it checked now but I haven't restarted the server. Weird thing is, "Indexing" is suddenly up and running. That happened once before out of the blue a few months back and it was going on for days and eating up a good chunk of my then measly 4GB RAM. I managed to shut it down then by removing the folders that were listed in the Indexing service; i.e. Music, Photos and Video. Should I just let it run now?

Yes let it run.  If you like change the schedule for the job in scheduled tasks.
You could for example have it run at 1am as a nightly process and only run for 6 hours.

That way it would run only at night getting all your files processed but not be doing it when you're likely using the system.
Just adjust it so it's runs when convenient.  You could even have it restart processing at 10am to 5pm if no one is using it while you're at work.

• Like 1