Cant access emby after update

Bobby2682

Bobby2682

I just updated to 4.7.5.0 and now I cant access emby anymore. I upgraded the jail and updated the plugin through TrueNas. I'm not sure where to look to find out what the issue is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. All my other plugins still work and I can ping in and out of the jail, so I dont think its a network issue. When updating I get the message "/etc/rc.conf: emby-server_user=emby: not found" multiple times. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but figured I'd mention it. Could it possibly be a permissions issue?

TrueNas - 12.0-U8.1

Jail - 12.3-RELEASE-p5RELEASE-

electricwildflower

Same issue happened here I updated Emby to 4.7.5.0 and it no longer worked, my mates just updated his Emby and again it no longer works.

We both run Truenas 13.1 and have deleted and re recreated an iocage, removed and re installed Emby, removed and re installed Embyserver one after the other multiple times and every time it said unable to connect to Emby server when trying to access the dashboard on any web browser. 

Is there an issue with the latest Emby updates and installers on Truenas?

radioactivesqrl

I am also seeing the same issue. Was running 4.7 on Truenas 12.0-U8 and it just stopped working recently, not sure of any specific cause on my end. I had been getting exceptions in my logs about mono, but I hadn't traced that down to anything specific.

I've tried following the install instructions for 4.8 on a fresh jail and emby-server says it is running, but I don't see any port binding active. I tried looking in /var/db/emby-server/logs for any information about failures, but there is no logs directory.

update:

A little more digging in the forums and I found that I had not enabled mlock on the jail. Not sure if something had changed the jail or if this is a new requirement. Once I enabled that, emby-server was able to open sockets and I was able to connect over http at least. Still needs some work on https though.

Edited by radioactivesqrl

Bobby2682

Not sure if this will help anyone here but I was able to get up and running again by running pkg update/upgrade and then installing emby in new jail. I had to be logged in as root through ssh via putty (or whatever ssh software you choose) it would not work through shell in Truenas GUI. You dont need to create the jail, the below code does it all for you. 

git clone -b truenas12 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
cd iocage-amd64
iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch truenas12

https://emby.media/truenas-server.html

Truenas13's command is a little different see link. 

Edited by Bobby2682

radioactivesqrl
29 minutes ago, electricwildflower said:

How do you enable mlock? 

From the TrueNAS admin page: Go to jails>[emby jail]>edit>Jail Properties> check allow_mlock

electricwildflower

After a fresh Truenas 13 installed i installed Emby via the usual plugins and it failed to load, i jumped into the properties and checked the allow_mlock box and then restarted Emby no change, i then restarted the server and no change. I nuked Emby and used the guide above in the link to install via the Truenas shell and it installed Emby fine and i could access the Emby server and start the setup guide. 

It seems the two plugins on Truenas install fine but they refuse to let you access your Emby install after, even though i tried checking the allow_mlock, this all happened after the latest Emby update so something has broken or has changed in the update that's causing issues. This is on Truenas 13 mind, i haven't tried the allow_mlock on Truenas 12 though. 

Now the arduous task of re adding mounts, adding Emby premier key, adding the back up plug in, using a backup and waiting hours for Emby to re scan everything lol. 

Bobby2682
19 minutes ago, electricwildflower said:

It seems the two plugins on Truenas install fine but they refuse to let you access your Emby install after, even though i tried checking the allow_mlock, this all happened after the latest Emby update so something has broken or has changed in the update that's causing issues. This is on Truenas 13 mind, i haven't tried the allow_mlock on Truenas 12 though. 

I tried allow_mlock on Truenas 12 and experienced the same results as you. I noticed in the code to install emby from the link I posted earlier has allow_mlock="on" and that it wasn't turned on in the jail properties. I enabled it and still could not access. That's when I proceeded to fresh install in new jail as I stated in my earlier post. 

electricwildflower

Doing a fresh install of Emby via the shell using the guide in the link above for both 12/13 is the only way forward at the moment as it's def a fault with both the Emby and Emby Server plugin's on Truenas with mlock regardless of TrueNas version. No issues installing via shell though and we do get the latest Emby install unlike the Truenas plugins which are behind on versions so it's a better solution. 

10 hours ago, electricwildflower said:

Doing a fresh install of Emby via the shell using the guide in the link above for both 12/13 is the only way forward at the moment as it's def a fault with both the Emby and Emby Server plugin's on Truenas with mlock regardless of TrueNas version. No issues installing via shell though and we do get the latest Emby install unlike the Truenas plugins which are behind on versions so it's a better solution. 

The problem is the community package was built around the mono runtime but Emby Server 4.7 has changed to the .NET runtime, which is smaller, lighter, etc.

The community package makes changes from our base package and the best way forward would be for them to remove those. I've submitted this change to them already:

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-emby/pull/7

Now it's just a matter of if and when they'll merge in that change, so please feel free to go over and there and ask them if they've had a chance to look at it yet.

• 2 weeks later...
electricwildflower

Yes and no

It solved the issue and i got a fresh install but i have been having issues with Truenas which is an unrelated topic and a hard drive pool which Emby was on so Emby was wiped and i was ready to start fresh after solving my pool issue but i have ran into a new problem.

1 - I create a new jail and called it Emby-Server, start the jail and then drop into shell

2 - Install git so it can get Emby installed so pkg install git so it will let me continue as it fails on this step unless git is installed

3 - git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
4 - cd iocage-amd64
5 - iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch master

iocage: Command not found

It worked before but now it's throwing up this error when i go to install Emby?? 

electricwildflower

Never mind i solved it, i had created a jail and proceeded to try install it in the jails shell and it kept throwing errors. Once i followed the steps for 13 in the Truenas shell it created a jail, installed inside the jail etc fine. I looked back at the steps i took to get it solved for a friend and couldn't work out why it wasn't working till i realised lol. 

• Thanks 1

taugust
On 7/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, radioactivesqrl said:

From the TrueNAS admin page: Go to jails>[emby jail]>edit>Jail Properties> check allow_mlock

This fixed the issue - thanks for the tips. I guess the problem starts once I updated my Freenas to TrueNAS-13.0-U1 

electricwildflower

Installed TrueNas scale today in a virtual machine for testing and first thing i did was install Emby and it installed fine and dropped me onto the Emby set up wizard. Makes me wonder if the Truenas scale version is a later or different version? 

It is based on Debian and not BDS so that's one thing. 

On 7/29/2022 at 7:38 AM, electricwildflower said:

Installed TrueNas scale today in a virtual machine for testing and first thing i did was install Emby and it installed fine and dropped me onto the Emby set up wizard. Makes me wonder if the Truenas scale version is a later or different version? 

It is based on Debian and not BDS so that's one thing. 

Well the fact that it is based on Debian makes it a lot simpler for everyone involved.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:19 AM, electricwildflower said:

Yes and no

It solved the issue and i got a fresh install but i have been having issues with Truenas which is an unrelated topic and a hard drive pool which Emby was on so Emby was wiped and i was ready to start fresh after solving my pool issue but i have ran into a new problem.

1 - I create a new jail and called it Emby-Server, start the jail and then drop into shell

2 - Install git so it can get Emby installed so pkg install git so it will let me continue as it fails on this step unless git is installed

3 - git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git
4 - cd iocage-amd64
5 - iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch master

iocage: Command not found

It worked before but now it's throwing up this error when i go to install Emby?? 

Hi, regarding the command not found error, maybe try this?

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/iocage-fails-fetch.55036/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
hjason7812

Hello I just updated to the latest 4.7.6.0 and after I updated the server started to not boot automatically after tryenase restarts. It is selected to automatically start but it now doesn't have to manually restart emby. Don't know if this is a truenas issue or if it is an emby issue but it was never an issue until I updated to the new emby version. Thank you

Edited by hjason7812

hjason7812
2 hours ago, dhenzler said:

If your NAS has anything like this... see the bottom of the attachment

Screenshot from 2022-09-11 22-44-36.png

Yes it has always had auto start for plugins