Can't start Emby server

Victor240
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Victor240

Hello,

Everything was working great with Emby except the fact that when I was connecting through OpenVPN it was always transcoding which is not performing well in a weak NAS like DS218. In my attempt to fix that I went on the server settings and edited the LAN networks to make the VPN an internal network and avoid transcoding. 

Unfortunately, I made a mistake and entered the wrong IP ranges so I couldn't access the server anymore.

image.thumb.png.ff421386fe2321bb33bbb1fa17c0dcf4.png

Then digging an even bigger hole for myslef, I stopped Emby server, connected with WinSCP to the NAS and edited the system.xml file by deleting the IP ranges I had added. The file looks like this now:

image.png.3526f7968fb5c11ddae73fa69430c14a.png

I saved the file, restarted the NAS but Emby server is still not starting. I either get the error message "Failed to run the package service" or it starts and immediatly stops again. Last but not least, the first time I clicked run, DSM prompted to add Firewall settings that I didn't have before and despite the fact that I added them, they didn't make any difference.

In the logs I found the error below:

Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.7.0
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_armv8.spk
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build4) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42661 SMP Fri May 27 17:13:39 CST 2022
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.21
	OS/Process: arm64/arm64
	Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
	Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
	System.Exception: System.Exception: Error starting ffmpeg
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.StartFfMpeg(StreamState state, String outputPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean acquireResources)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Hls.DynamicHlsService.GetDynamicSegment(StreamRequest request, String playlistId, String segmentId, Int32 subtitleStreamIndex)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Any ideas how I can get it back working?

Edited by Victor240
added error log

Hi, did you try rebooting the NAS? Can you please attach the complete emby server log file? Thanks.

Victor240

Yes, I restarted the NAS but no luck.

Which exact file do you want, from which location?

In /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/logs there are quite a few files.

7 hours ago, Victor240 said:

Yes, I restarted the NAS but no luck.

Which exact file do you want, from which location?

In /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/logs there are quite a few files.

Hi, please supply the one(s) from the timeframe in which the problem was experienced. Thanks.

Victor240
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please supply the one(s) from the timeframe in which the problem was experienced. Thanks.

I've sent the logs with PM.

Hi, can you try deleting all .dll files from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins

Then see if you can start the server. Thanks.

Victor240
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you try deleting all .dll files from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins

Then see if you can start the server. Thanks.

Unfortunately, same behaviour. First time it starts for a couple of seconds and then stops again and if I try again, "Failed to run the package service".

I've also tried uninstalling and installing the latest beta but nothing.

Can you try installing 4.7.5 over the top and see how that compares? Thanks.

Victor240

Thank you for your help @Luke, I tried 4.7.2, 4.7.5, 4.8.0.3 but nothing, always the same error log

2022-07-11 20:07:01.877 Info Main: Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll
2022-07-11 20:07:02.607 Info Main: Shutdown complete

Can I make a backup somehow and completly wipe everything and do a fresh install?

When I tried to uninstall and reinstall it seems that everything is still there.

• Solution

Maybe you could try removing the whole LocalNetworkSubnets section from the server config file and then start up the server. You could also try renaming the server config file and then starting up the server. It will act like it's a new install with the setup wizard, but once you step through that your libraries should be intact.

Victor240

Yes, renaming the system.xml finally works!

Should I go through the wizard or exit somehow to keep as many things as possible? Because it asks to create a new user/pass.

Either or. You can just fill in the user info you already have, or you can try and repair the server config file little by little.

Victor240

Everything seems to be there expect Trakt but I can probably set it up again.

Thanks again Luke!

• Thanks 1