Apple TV app does not see server on internal LAN

bmcbuff
Go to solution Solved by bmcbuff,

bmcbuff

I have been using a 4th generation Apple TV wired to my homes internal LAN (wired Ethernet) through a managed Aruba 24 port switch with no firewall configured for the LAN. This is connected to an ISP provided router that connects to the internet through a firewall. I have an Emby premiere account and use connect to use on other devices on the LAN as well as connecting externally to other devices on the WAN (outside my home). It has been working for a long time but the most recent Apple TV update has now broken the connection. My server runs on an Unraid server running in a docker container that has the port connection moved to 9256 and this also works fine. The server dashboard gives an internal IP of 172.17.0.3:8096 and is running the docker in bridged mode with the port mapped from 192.168.0.20:9256 to TCP 172.17.0.3:8096. When I reinstalled the Emby app on the Apple TV it provides a PIN and i enter this on the media Emby.media/pin.html page with my premiere credentials and it indicates pin is good. When I go back to the Emby TV app it asks to select a server but none are available. If I manually put in the 172.17.0.3 with no port it goes away for about 30 seconds and comes back with a "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure server is running and try again." If I logout of connect and try the server again still the same result. I have tried a number of combinations of IP:port logged into connect or from the IP directly and the response is immediate with the same message. I can Ping the apple TV from my server or another device on the LAN and the Apple TV connects to the internet with no problems, A also have an older PLEX server installed and it works with the Apple TV just fine connecting to the server. HELP!

If I manually put in the 172.17.0.3 with no port

Hi, can you try this again but explicitly specify the port? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

bmcbuff

I have tried with the port explicitly given (172.17.0.3:8096) which is what the dashboard for the server indicates to use. The Apple TV App stops for about 20 seconds when you push the connect button then comes back with the same error. Another odd item is the server does not see the Apple TV device when looking on the server dashboard devices tab. It does see every other device that has recently connected, either internally or externally. I have tried with and without registering the PIN from the Apple TV App with my Emby connect account. If I use another IP (like my LAN server IP, with or without port identified) the Emby App comes back immediately with the unable to connect message. I have Factory reset the Apple TV and loaded my App's back on and they all work except Emby. I have tried locating logs on the server associated with the Emby Docker I am using but see no errors in the logs I can find (might not be looking in the right place for these logs though). Attached are the most recent log files I found after restarting the Emby server, one entry I found puzzling was the found 128 devices in the Hardware detection log, but the device list for the Emby server only gives 10 devices recently seen. I may not be understanding the message in the log file though.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63793561940.txt

• Solution
bmcbuff

I just had another round of trying to get Emby working on the Apple TV app and changed the docker container I was starting the Emby server on to Host mode instead of Bridged mode and everything started working again. The Apple TV immediately recognizes the server and connects and the server also has the Apple TV device visible as well. The container maps the port to the same network as the whole home LAN Domain and not mapping it to another private network Domain.