Android App not supported on an android tv box??

halphpint

No, I doubt they will have a similar look.  The "Android TV" interface is a particular style designed by Google and we use framework elements they provide to implement it.  Those framework elements won't exist on other platforms.

The true Android TV interface will be simpler and consistent with other apps on the device.  The "TV mode" of the standard app will probably be more customized and not necessarily consistent with anything else (because there is no other defined Android standard).

As for Live TV, we'll have to wait and see.  I expect that the Android TV platform itself is going to provide some live TV options so that it may not be necessary to have this in our app - but we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

viziofire

I much prefer the approach and layout of Android TV although to be honest the interface of Fire TV isn't that much different.   Aside from personal preferences, there is a large installed based of Fire TV devices on the market and whereas the market share of Android TV remains to be seen.    Even if those 2015 TVs with Android TV built in do well, does that customer profile align well with those who would be inclined to setup a MB server?    Sure there is the Nexus Player and the soon to be released Razer Forge, but the market isn't exactly flooded with Android TV devices.   I'm not trying to second guess your development plans but why not release an app with a similar look at feel for both platforms?

Edited by viziofire

huh? we have two android apps, one specifically for android tv, and another for general android devices (e.g. mobile, tablets, fire tv, etc). 

viziofire

I'm referring to the "10 foot" type interface as previewed.   Why not do that same layout for Fire TV devices instead of just generic Android?

10 foot UI isn't only applicable to Android TV

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/design-and-user-experience-guidelines

Note:  I am not employed by or have any personal relationship with Amazon other than being an occasional customer

Edited by viziofire

Ebr already said the android tv app specifically takes advantage of features that are specific to ATV. Considering you haven't seen the end result of the other app yet, I don't know what there really is to question at this point. Rest assured there are smart people working on it who want the same things everyone else wants.

viziofire

Pleas don't take my feedback as complaints, that is definitely not how it was intended.    I look forward to seeing whatever you guys decide to release.

Yeah the current layout was created by the previous developer and I think he was following design principles from MBC which are not necessarily appropriate.  When we get around to working on the other platform, we will take the design trends of whatever device is the major player into account.

The Android TV platform is forward-looking but I believe it has a huge potential and I wanted to be out ahead of the curve for once.  I also had no access to the other Android app source up until a few weeks ago.

• Like 1