Android App not supported on an android tv box??

halphpint

halphpint

I recently just purchased an M8 Android tv box soley to run media browser android client. The box is running android 4.4.2. I may have made a mistake, as I bought the client app through the app store on my phone, thinking it would just save time. When I went into the goole play store on my M8 box after I hooked it up to my TV it said this version wasn't compatible. I searched the app store for the media browser theater app through the M8 and it doesnt even show up. This was the sole reason for me buying this box so I hope it can work somehow. Am I missing something? 

we don't yet officially support android tv, but we are working on it.

in the meantime you should be able to use Xbmb3c on it.

DrWatson

It works perfectly on the m8 

I have 3 of these 

542c8ca3ed964_31fVGqWpPuL_SY300_.jpg

Install finless 1.8 rom

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?15529-NEW-Finless-1-8-for-EM8-Square-Box&highlight=m8+finless+rom

and then the droid app.

edit: Just to clarify there is a bug in the original firmware on these boxes that Bob has fixed in his build - the bug is you cannot instal paid apps from google play. He also spoofs a nexus 10 in the build prop as it has the widest compatibility with apks - after updating to his rom there is nothing i have that doesnt work and the droid app is blisteringly fast on it. I also have some custom edits in the build prop to increase the vm heap to 384 meg (still tweaking this and mucking around).

Edited by DrWatson
  • Like 1

halphpint

I figured out the problem I think, maybe you can help me Dr. Watson. When I go to advanced settings and then to location is says shanghai! When I try to change it all the other "Provinces" are in Chinese! I just got this today, and in NO video review or anywhere else was there a "Location" tab under advanced settings. I tried a factory restore but still nothing. Im sure this is preventing me from seeing certain things on the google play store as Pandora doesnt even show up. Where can I get just a stock version of this ROM or firmware..not sure which its called?

DrWatson

The best rom is the Finless rom it has many bug fixes over the original rom (it still operates exactly the same - without the bugs). The newest rom for the device from the manufacturer has a few new bugs you can grab the stock rom from geekbuying - but i would go with Bob's rom.

Edited by DrWatson
  • Like 1

halphpint

Awesome, thanks so much for your help. Im downloading finless as we speak...can I just drop this on a USB stick and update that way? I dont have to root this or anything like my phone do I?

DrWatson

You can just drop it onto an sd card (i haven't done it with a usb stick but it should work exactly the same) and use the update feature from within the settings menu. All Bob's roms are rooted roms and from memory the stock firmware is also rooted.

Read the first post in that thread and the readme.txt in the rom zip and you should be good to go (-:.

• Like 1

halphpint

Awesome..one quick thing...I put the zip file on a usb drive (formatted fat32) and tried to update..getting a failed to mount /udisk and it aborts....do I have to create any proper folders on the thumb drive?

DrWatson

Not sure, as i said I didn't use a usb stick.

I just put factory_update_param.aml, em8_finless18.zip, onto an sd card and followed option 2 in the readme file

DrWatson

I haven't seen that with this rom. But try a power cycle (as in pull the power plug and restart).

You could also use the reset button method (option 1 in the readme). Reset button is inside the av plug hole in the back (turn it all off and use a tooth pick to confirm  you will feel it click).

Edited by DrWatson

halphpint

I tried that...no joy. Not sure if my firmware is too new for that rom or not but I think it's bricked. When I tried to re-install the rom I got a failed to verify whole-file signature...signature verification failed. That didnt happen the first time...not sure if its the SD card being finicky....

DrWatson

Its not bricked if you can still install (just need firmware) - post in the thread over at freaktabs. Sorry for your troubles.

This isn't actually an "Android TV" box is it?  I mean, it is a box running Android that connects to your TV but it isn't running the new Android TV flavor of Android (L) right...?

• 3 months later...
Macburp

@@DrWatson, sorry to use an old thread. Having checked online, there are several manufacturers offering m8 boxes, who made the ones you have?

Interested in using one of these boxes, but very nervous about lack of after sales support. What's your experience after a few months of use?

How has your box coped with other apps? Id like to use a box with MB, iplayer, tvcatchup, and a few others.

Thoughts appreciated.

DrWatson

I really like them. the lack of after sales service is a bit of a pita but the guys over at freaktab have fixed most of the small bugs in the rom ( http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?189-ENY-Acemax-EM8-(square)-EM6Q-etc-Devices )

you want the em8 or m8 square) from either lifeforce of finless.

I am using justme's rom atm and it works well with the Android app (not sure if that matters since it now looks to be a bit dead) it also plays everything I have (dts, ac3 passthru).

Mine is branded "ott tv box" not to much details on who actually makes it.

Edited by DrWatson
  • Like 1

Macburp

Thanks. Are you running anything else on the box? Any issues with that? The Freaktab site is very good, but this market is so fragmented its hard to know what you're going to get.

I'm interested in this box - 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-OCTA-CORE-Multimedia-Download-Bluetooth/dp/B00L53Y7IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422999056&sr=8-1&keywords=keedox+m8

specs are -

GPU: Octa-Core Mail-450
Memory: 2GB-DDR3 8GB-FLASH (other capacity available)
Storage cards: SD/SDHC/MMC card; Voltage:2.7-3.3V
USB interface: Two way 2.0 high speed

Is that similar to the spec of your boxes? The Keedox runs Kitkat.

Thanks again.

DrWatson

the spec look exactly the same to me (quick look)

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?17639-Developer-Review-OTT-M8-AMLogic-TV-Box  are the boxes I have - the link you posted looks like the same box with different branding

If you use one of the custom firmwares it will report the box as a nexus which is  a simple change to the build.prop (done so you can download everything from the play store) 

I haven't run into anything that I cannot install as yet - be aware these will not run the new android client that ebr is writing (i don't think)

viziofire

M8 box may be calling my name.    Is anyone working toward installing 5.0 or to make it more like a real Android TV box so you don't need an air mouse?    May I also ask why thse won't run the new android client that ebr is writing?

Edited by viziofire

Macburp

be aware these will not run the new android client that ebr is writing (i don't think)

I'm really not sure what @@ebr has planned for android - is the new app stand-alone? Will it be for Android TV only or for all android builds? Will it incorporate the 10ft TV mode that is coming soon?

I tried out the TV mode on my android tablet yesterday, it looks unfinished (I appreciate that trying it on a tablet is not the best way to test :) ). Will this be improved as part of the new release? Its a bit unclear.

Am I right in thinking that these M8 boxes would not be upgradable to Lollipop? 

Vidman

The 10 TV mode that was coming soon is the one you tried out... Ebr is doing an android TV app that will only work on android 5 lollipop.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

If it only works on Android 5 does that mean there is no updated app for Fire TV?

There will be two separate apps - this one which will work on just about any Android device, and the new one (currently in alpha testing) that will only work on true "Android TV" devices.

The Fire TV will probably never be a true Android TV device so the "TV" mode of the mobile app would be the one to use on it.

viziofire

May I ask if the "TV" mode of the Android app will have a similar 10 ft look as the Android TV client?     Will the both the Android app and Android TV app gain an EPG?