Selective conversion

andrewds

andrewds

Hello! I have several libraries with content to which I've been applying conversions to hevc/aac. The libraries are a mix of H264 content and hevc/H265 content. Up to now I've been manually evaluating each entry in the library before creating a new conversion task. However, it's pretty tedious. Does anyone know if it's possible to create a conversion task that will only convert content that is not already hevc/aac encoded? The options I am selecting are replace original, custom, mkv, hevc, aac, original quality. However, if the content is already hevc/aac encoded it looks like the task is still copying the data to a new container. The objective is to standardize the content format in my libraries to hevc/aac. Once the conversions are all complete I'll create a standing conversion task for each library to automatically convert new content.

I appreciate any thoughts. Maybe I'm just doing something silly.

As a side question, not super important, but I'm curious: one instance so far the original data was H264 encoded at 1 Mbps and the conversion to H265 increased the bitrate to 2 Mbps (same options selected as above), resulting in an overall increase in file size. I was able to correct it by modifying and performing the conversion job again. Can anyone point me to documentation that explains how the selection process for "original quality" works? I work with APIs day in and out at my day job so I've been toying with maybe writing some logic to automate submitting conversion tasks if nothing else.

Hello andrewds,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

andrewds

Follow-up question: If I create a conversion job and it is interrupted by an Emby server restart (e.g. for an update), will it retry the interrupted item (if converting an entire TV series for example) when the server starts again?

26 minutes ago, andrewds said:

Follow-up question: If I create a conversion job and it is interrupted by an Emby server restart (e.g. for an update), will it retry the interrupted item (if converting an entire TV series for example) when the server starts again?

HI, yes it will.

• Like 1

andrewds

Hey @Luke,  thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on the initial questions up top? I feel like I must be overthinking it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a conversion task that will only convert content that is not already hevc/aac encoded?

Hi, when you create a conversion job on a parent folder, this is exactly what happens. It will skip files that already match the target criteria.

As a side question, not super important, but I'm curious: one instance so far the original data was H264 encoded at 1 Mbps and the conversion to H265 increased the bitrate to 2 Mbps (same options selected as above), resulting in an overall increase in file size. I was able to correct it by modifying and performing the conversion job again. Can anyone point me to documentation that explains how the selection process for "original quality" works?

Can we please look at a specific example? Thanks.