Emby Server 4.7 - In Depth (Part One)

Luke

Emby Server 4.7 - In Depth (Part 1)

Emby Server 4.7 and it's point releases provide some very cool new functionality.

This is the first or introduction blog post in a new series we're doing to show you some of this new cool functionality.
We're going to try and publish 1 or 2 blog posts in this series each week but will depend on other releases.

Let's kick this off with a cool new feature from the recent 4.7.4 release.

• Add new table view option

The next blog post will cover the following bullet point that just doesn't do it justice:

• Add Episode Intro Detection and Skipping feature

NOTE: if you have a request for something you would like to see covered sooner than later make sure to comment below and let us know your preference.

The new Table View Option is available everywhere in the library views but we'll be showing this using a TV Library using the show names and a couple examples of episodes. You could use the table view for movies, music albums, songs or any other part of your library. Share with us your favorite use.

Let's start by showing how you change the view.

image.png.e50fbf565e660ded4b45ee96aefd7e6c.png

The first thing we want to do is click the 3 dot menu circled in yellow in the pic above which will open the following settings:

image.png.52b69d80155be406ec30ff2602fcde5d.png

Change the view from  (likely) Primary to Table and you'll have a set of fields you can choose to display.

image.png.9c69f7acee74be67e4e30667c0ee6e0e.png

For now click the top left back arrow and you'll see a new table view that looks similar to below.
image.thumb.png.db23cdbda92f90f4b9b150c77d177928.png
Now that we have an idea what it looks, like click back on the 3 dot menu and select other columns to display. Below I added a few more columns.
image.thumb.png.1872144f1325e5ebcb0e81988272c35b.png

You no longer need to use the 3 dot menu as the table has a built in way to add/remove columns quickly. Click the icon shown in the yellow square top left in the picture above.

Yep, much more convenient to use. :)
image.png.5ab4abfec833241671acd5f57048d952.png

Select a few more columns to display (or select them all) and let's see what we get. If the table scrolls off the screen you can use the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen, gestures or two finger trackpad slide to scroll the grid.

You can right click on any row and bring up the action menu which should look familiar.

image.png.afeaec7468e7904baf5b031c1baf3b2c.png

Most of the headers can be clicked to quickly sort by that column.  A second click on the header reverses the sort order.
The picture below shows the table is using the Community Ratings and it's sorted in a reversed order to find the highest ratings.
image.png.2267e6913af7a34e9a65f7893e9a4c27.png

Tip: Use the Keyboard to Jump to sections closer to your Media.
You can type up to 3 characters to jump media starting with those letters.

If you have a keyboard you can type up to 3 characters to jump to media starting with those same letters. This jump will ignore the commons words like "a", "the", etc
f I type BON it jumps to media starting with "bon" which is helpful if you want to watch "Bones".
image.png.1436dce1cb2999d762297a6f8b46ed3c.png

image.thumb.png.09fd75cbe7dec338b1fbfdb239d3e64c.png

If I wanted to quickly jump to the show "The Rookie" or "The Big Bang Theory" I would use ROO or BIG to get these results:
image.thumb.png.c67bc9f931304d51e69b097cf81a0d62.png

image.thumb.png.cb2c88571dec72c4d8a31a6e6b6bba98.png

You could use a single character like "S" to jump to media starting with "S". Typing "TR" would make it easy to access Training Day or Treadstone.

Just like the Primary view you can apply filters (tab up top).  This came in handy as I was trying to think of a show name my son and I watched together but couldn't think of the name.  I remembered it was a Science Fiction show so I tried this filter knowing the show had been played.
image.png.f63b43a74254ae5a6fd63642099bed19.png

This filter produced the following results which had the show name I couldn't remember "Terra Nova". Looking at the Genres I could have used a couple different Genres in my search.
image.thumb.png.c1491d2eadc2373d5d35dde738a7c87a.png

The table view expands the viewing flexibility of Emby a great deal and we think it's going to be an instant hit!  Try it in different situations, like remote use on a small screen when you want the most media showing with it's additional information while having fast loading screens since all the media graphics don't have to load.

Please share with us your favorite use of the new Table View and any tips or tricks you discover!

View the full article

• Like 16