Understanding dolby atmos (true hd) with ac3 core

CAPRICORNX10X

4 hours ago, roaku said:

Do any Rokus truly support HD audio formats? I've only seen some of them support extracting the DTS core from DTS-HD, but that's it.

No actual support for DTS-HD output and nothing for TrueHD.

I have a bunch of Rokus but switch to a Shield when I'm going to watch something with DTS-HD or TrueHD.

As far as Uncompressed Audio the Roku does not support it. The Roku supports 7 channel E-AC3 (Dolby Digital+) which will render at ATMOS. Requires both an ATMOS capable Roku device and TV/AVR.

The higher end Roku TV models may support Uncompressed Audio as far as TrueHD and DTS-HD. They will raise the channel count on the Dolby/DTS polling we do and you will get it with Emby. They have different circuitry than normal and can gain better ability than normal. Since their is no HDMI cable required with Roku TV it can do things normal Roku cannot. It is entirely possible these have capabilities that are not disclosed. It would be rather expensive to have all those TV models to test with too.

Know that we allow any Roku that has support for 4K VP9 to pass-through HEVC in any flavor. We are not polling for color space support yet on the Roku and making the Emby server aware of that in the profile. Since all of this is very new we have work to do in that area. But that missing work doesn't mean that you cannot play things correctly. It just means we might attempt to direct play some first and fallback to transcoding when we really should attempt to transcode first. A small thing that will get fixed soon.

For DolbyVision support the cable is most important. If you want 4K with anything over 60FPS it has to be HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.3. For everything 4K with 60FPS and under you want at least HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. The newer Roku Ultra supports DolbyVision pass-through. It also supports HDR10+. If you need support for DolbyVision and HDR10+ you want to look at the box on the Roku you purchase. Since Roku wants the user to know this is supported they mention it on the box. ATMOS is also mentioned on the box of the Roku if it is supported. But supported doesn't mean works. To work your TV or AVR must also support DolbyVision and ATMOS. It can get expensive and annoying. But it is what it is.

Edited by speechles

CAPRICORNX10X

Honestly, I do not have too much to say.
Too bad there are so many compatibility issues from both the manufacturer and the developers

CAPRICORNX10X

Well, I did a little check ...

And from what I've seen and I'm almost convinced I'm right
The emby theater in windows supports h265 and hd audio

6 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

I really thought emby was the perfect platform...and now my oled lg not Not suitable for emby

Hi. As mentioned previously, this is not an emby limitation. It is the platform you are using. 

VirulentPip
12 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

This whole complication really sucks, to have a perfect viewing experience.

I really thought emby was the perfect platform...and now my oled lg not Not suitable for emby

what about samsung tv?

I wouldn't change TV at all.. Just buy a Shield TV or similar with the capabilities (as mentioned) to playback the raw files. I have an LGC1 with Shield TV and have no issues with what I throw at it. Dolby Vision, Atmos etc you name it, all gets fed to my TV/sound system. 

CAPRICORNX10X

Yes this is what I will probably do, I will purchase nvidia shield

A friend referred me to a ziddo company that has a product called UHD3000 HIFI 4K UHD Media Play it costs a lot of money 1500$

Regardless of the price .. what do you say about this product?

zidoo,mediaplayer,UHD3000,芝杜,媒体播放器,4K播放器,硬盘播放器,蓝光播放器