Subtitles interface not consistent

snader
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

snader

since I have been using Emby server on my Raspberry Pi and the Android TV client on the nVidea Shield, I don't want anything else. The only negative I can think of is the use of the subtitle interface. As can be seen in the screenshots, I cannot select subtitles when I come from the TVshows overview, but I can when I target an episode. It would be nice if I can always select the subtitels for the upcoming episode... or when pausing an episode, to turn on the subtitles there instead of going back to the main screen first.

PXL_20220622_064020534.jpg

PXL_20220622_064015060.MP.jpg

PXL_20220622_063956056.MP.jpg

PXL_20220622_063949341.jpg

• Solution
GrimReaper
15 minutes ago, snader said:

I cannot select subtitles when I come from the TVshows overview, but I can when I target an episode.

Of course you cannot (in any client app) as subs can differ per episode - and some episodes don't even have to have it - how would you preselect that on Series level? 

It would be nice if I can always select the subtitels for the upcoming episode...

There are various subtitle modes (Forced, Default, Smart, Always show) for each user in settings for exactly that purpose, so desired subs can be automatically pre-selected. 

when pausing an episode, to turn on the subtitles there instead of going back to the main screen first.

Sure you can do that, bring up OSD while paused or playback (press Down on remote), select "CC" icon. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sparker

You can also set a preference in the player settings to behave the same for most files where subtitles are present.

So if your subtitle language preference is Dutch and you set subtitles to Smart, it should automatically load Dutch subtitles with English audio tracks.

I'm a bit hard of hearing so I always have subtitles showing, and I moved to Emby because it handles subtitles far better than Plex can with some 1080p and 4K media.