Option to allow bypassing the record popup in the Android TV client

Rickerdo

Rickerdo

Admin, please stop closing this request. I am asking for a feature request, not a work around. If the Emby devs are refusing to implement this request, that's one thing, just say so. But closing the request with, "Double-tap the volume slider if this is the old style Shield remote.  That will immediately play the selected channel.", and not allowing further discussion is not a solution to the request. I am resubmitting my initial request verbatim in the hopes that we can move into a more productive conversation about using the single-click of the select button on the Android TV remotes...

The only thing keeping me from paying for Emby and ditching Jellyfin is the inability to immediately play live TV programs when viewing the guide without getting the popup asking to record.

I understand a lot of folks are reluctant to UI changes, so I am asking for an option in the settings to disable the record popup when selecting a programs from the live TV guide. The option could default to the existing behavior, but allow end user's to disable it if they so choose.

My request is specifically for the Android TV client. I have a few Nvidia Shields which have very few buttons on the remotes - directional and a select button in the center.

Every live TV app I've used so far: Jellyfin, Channels, Android Live TV, Kodi, and Sparkle all play the selected program from the live TV guide immediately (without prompting to record) when the select button is pressed. Emby is the only app that forces a prompt to record before being able to select play.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi.  Your post was a duplicate and a link to the original same request was included. Please lend your support to the original request.

This would also be a duplicate so I will delete it as soon as you've seen and acknowledged the above.

Thanks.

Rickerdo

I read that request and would argue that while it is similar, it is not the same request. I also know my request is a duplicate of my previous request. You closed my previous request without allowing any further discussion, so I had no choice but to open a duplicate request to continue the conversation that we are now having. I am simply asking for an option in the settings to allow for direct playing of a live TV show when selected from the live TV guide.

To reiterate, my request is for an additional option within the settings of the Android TV client (maybe other clients as well, but I don't have any other clients to test). Not a work around, not a "just change your habits", not an alternative solution, or whatever else...

18 minutes ago, Rickerdo said:

To reiterate, my request is for an additional option within the settings of the Android TV client

Hi.  And that is exactly what the topic I linked to in your original post is asking for. 

From that topic:

Ideally, I'd like an option with the Android TV app so that when I click on an something which is currently playing, that it starts playing immediately rather than going to the "Tune To Channel" pop up.

Any further discussion can take place in that original topic.  Keeping the same requests in one topic is what allows us to truly see how many people support it.

Thanks.

Rickerdo

Ideally, I'd like an option with the Android TV app so that when I click on an something which is currently playing, that it starts playing immediately rather than going to the "Tune To Channel" pop up.

is not the same as

I am simply asking for an option in the settings to allow for direct playing of a live TV show when selected from the live TV guide.

What's with the arguing instead of trying to understand? Look, I could jump ship and just make due with another app, but I like Emby and would like to become a long term paying customer, but this one annoyance is preventing that from happening. Let me say this another way... I am trying to help you make more money for your company in spite of your best efforts to prevent that from happening.

I apologize but I really do not see what is different.  The net of it is, the two requests are functionally identical so you can just add your thoughts to the original request to make whatever distinction you wish to make.  Please continue any further discussion in that original request.

And, it appears, you recently posted another topic with this same request as well and were directed to that original topic at that time.

There is a much better chance of your request being implemented if the discussion is in a single place instead of spread out between multiple topics.

Thanks.

Rickerdo

It's apparent you would rather debate semantics or make some sort of point rather than to work with a customer making a request in the "Feature Request" forum (go figure).

Like I said, every other app works as requested without having to submit several requests and debating semantics, so I've canceled my Premier account and will deal with the shortcomings of one of the other apps I mentioned in my first post above.

I was really hoping to choose Emby as I feel it has a much better looking UI than the others, but functionality matters more than anything.

HI @Rickerdo, I apologize for the frustration. I think he was just trying to avoid having the same conversation in multiple places.

This request has come up before and is certainly possible for future updates.

Rickerdo
46 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI @Rickerdo, I apologize for the frustration. I think he was just trying to avoid having the same conversation in multiple places.

I can appreciate the simplicity of keeping the discussion in a single thread, but all of my previous requests were closed by the admin with a useless response and locking of the request from further comments. So as far as I could see, there was no willingness to continue the discussion and I would just have to forget about using Emby moving forward.

If you are saying that Emby could have such a change made I would be happy to re-open my Premier account and be willing to provide testing and feedback if it helps. Like I said, it is this one little annoyance that keeps us from using Emby. We can deal with the other little nuances.

27 minutes ago, Rickerdo said:

I can appreciate the simplicity of keeping the discussion in a single thread, but all of my previous requests were closed by the admin with a useless response and locking of the request from further comments.

6 hours ago, ebr said:

The net of it is, the two requests are functionally identical so you can just add your thoughts to the original request to make whatever distinction you wish to make.  Please continue any further discussion in that original request.

I pointed you to the original request and asked you to add your thoughts to that thread.

I apologize if you saw that as "no willingness to continue the discussion" as that was definitely not what I said nor intended.

Rickerdo
53 minutes ago, ebr said:

I pointed you to the original request and asked you to add your thoughts to that thread.

I apologize if you saw that as "no willingness to continue the discussion" as that was definitely not what I said nor intended.

@ebr Can you please drop from this thread? You are adding no value to the conversation and your constant arguing in an attempt to be right about something has already caused your company to lose a subscription. Please stop.

crusher11
On 6/22/2022 at 5:58 AM, Rickerdo said:

@ebr Can you please drop from this thread? You are adding no value to the conversation and your constant arguing in an attempt to be right about something has already caused your company to lose a subscription. Please stop.

LOL

• Haha 2

sabrina2001

Hello everybody,

I'm an Android TV user too, and I think this "bypassing the recording popup" is already implemented...

It is correct, that when pressing the "OK" or "Select" button on a remote (usually in the middle of the arrow keys for most remotes/devices) it shows a record popup. I too got somewhat annoyed by that popup some months ago, but I noticed that when the "play" button is pressed instead (usually indicated as a triangle on most remotes) then live TV channels start immediately without that popup.

Regards

Sabrina

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, sabrina2001 said:

I noticed that when the "play" button is pressed instead (usually indicated as a triangle on most remotes) then live TV channels start immediately without that popup.

That is correct; but note that not all devices have remote with Play button. 

On 5/31/2022 at 3:44 PM, ebr said:

Also, if you have a remote with a "play" button, that will immediately tune the channel.

• Agree 1

Rickerdo

My request is specifically for the Android TV client. I have a few Nvidia Shields which have very few buttons on the remotes - directional and a select button in the center.

dRuEFFECT

I have to agree. I have 4 shields and use harmony remotes on all, I don't use the shield remotes and don't have the volume slider.

I thinks it makes the most sense for simply pressing the select button to automatically tune to the channel, but also that pressing and holding select then brings up the record option as we see it. Would that be a good compromise?

arrbee99

As you say, an option is fine, but not a replacement. Don't want to click on a program to see info about whether its worth watching or recording and instead it plays, especially if, like me, you find it takes 5 seconds to start playing and you don't know whether to press back instantly or wait to see that its started ok and then press back just in case pressing back while its trying to start buggers something up.

7 hours ago, dRuEFFECT said:

and use harmony remotes on all,

Hi.  Then you do have a "play" button.  That will immediately tune to the channel.

The double click on the volume slider was just Nvidia's solution to not including a play button on those old original remotes.

Rickerdo

Let's not stray from my original request which is to have an option in the settings that allow the end user to decide the functionality of the ok/select button on the live TV guide. The request is to allow a single click of the ok/select button to immediately play the selected program in the guide instead of presenting the user with a dialog that asks to record or play.

We all agree that there are workarounds that address the reasoning behind this request, but those workarounds do not address the request itself.

• Agree 1

dRuEFFECT
18 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Then you do have a "play" button.  That will immediately tune to the channel.

Yes I have a play button, but it's an unnecessary step. My thumb is already on the d pad navigating the guide so the instinct is to just press select.

Pressing select on a future program in the guide that hasn't started airing yet, yes it makes sense to bring up the record options and not tune to the channel which is airing something else at the moment. But if you're browsing the guide and press select on something that's currently airing, it should just start playing right away, with a press and hold of select to bring up the record options, just like the context menu for media items when you want more options.

When something is already airing, more often than not you don't want a partial recording and intend on watching it live, the feature is called Live TV after all. This is how every cable or satellite DVR has worked from my experience. 

On 6/29/2022 at 12:23 AM, arrbee99 said:

Don't want to click on a program to see info about whether its worth watching or recording and instead it plays, especially if, like me, you find it takes 5 seconds to start playing and you don't know whether to press back instantly or wait to see that its started ok and then press back just in case pressing back while its trying to start buggers something up.

The channel guide displays the program info above it as you're browsing, the record options pop up just displays the same info. If you're talking about the On Now section of the home screen then yea an interstitial screen makes sense, but this is specifically about guide behavior.

I'm just trying to advocate for this being a bit more seamless and intuitive, and selecting something in the guide that's already airing bringing up a recording options popup just feels wrong. 

• Agree 1

Dan_Austin
19 hours ago, dRuEFFECT said:

I'm just trying to advocate for this being a bit more seamless and intuitive, and selecting something in the guide that's already airing bringing up a recording options popup just feels wrong. 

The worst part is this was largely implemented in ONE beta release, but a few very vocal community members complained loudly and it was removed instead of tuned/made optional.  Until a server change made that client unusable it was the best version of the app.  The logic used to justify it never made sense to me, since after 4+ years I have never once wanted to record a program in the current time slot.  I truly hate this 'feature' and it annoys me on every single channel change.  Luckily it is the only thing in Emby I hate and once a channel is tuned I get over it.  Maybe you'll be more vocal that the group that got it removed and I won't have anything left to hate in Emby.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Rickerdo said:

Has this request been implemented? If not, any idea when we might see it?

Hi, it's possible for future updates. Thanks.

• 1 year later...