Emby Theatre on Ubuntu Linux (20.04.4) won't play any media

MartinCheetham

MartinCheetham

My issue seems similar to topic 102329 but not exactly the same.  I have Emby server running on a QNAP NAS with local and remote clients on iPhone, Windows, , Web interface, Amazon Firestick and apps installed on Sony TVs.  This all works perfectly.  I am now trying to get Emby Theatre running on a Ubuntu Linux box.  Everything appears to be installed correctly and I can see the Emby home screen but I can play any media; Movies, TV-Shows, display pictures etc.

One strange observation is that if I go into a feature such as turning the log files on or off I get multiple screens displayed on top of each other. 

I have a log file which I am attaching it doesn't see to have the messages in at referred to by 102329 related to the video driver but I suspect that need to give you more information to go on.  PLease tell me what I need to provide to resolve this.  Thanks.

embyserver.txt

alucryd

Please try installing libatomic1 if it's not installed. If that still doesn't work, we will have a new deb available for testing shortly.

MartinCheetham

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was on vacation.  Unfortunately libatomic1 was already installed and the latest version so this has not helped.  I'll try the new deb whanit is available.  One additional comment is that when I try to play a movie the fanart background is displayed but then nothing further (spinning wheel).

• 2 weeks later...
alucryd

Sorry about the wait, for the longest time I thought I made no progress but it's just that the packages don't play well inside a VM. The flatpak works on my main arch linux machine, since all packages are made from the same binaries it's fair to assume it should translate to the others. Here's a new deb for you to try, for this one it would actually be better to uninstall libatomic1 as I found it would cause issue in my Ubuntu 22.04 VM (might not be the case on an actual system though).

https://files.alucryd.xyz/emby-theater-deb_3.0.15_amd64.deb

MartinCheetham

Thank you for the follow up.  Unfortunately the new deb has not solved the problem.  I am still not able to play any media on emby-theater running under Ubuntu (other configurations run perfectly).  My Ubuntu configuration is emby server 4.7.5.0 running on a QNAP NAS firmware 5.0.1.2034 with Emby-theater 3.0.15 running on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS.  I have tried with and without libatomic1 installed.

This is probably irrelevant but I have not yet joined Emby premiere so whenever I try to play any media I have to select the "Play One Minute" option.  I have defined NFS paths for all the libraries which I suppose could cause the issue so I will try removing the path definition and update my post with the result.

StefanArt

I have the same prblem. 
Server V4.6.4.0 and Theater 3.0.15 on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS. FireTV and Web runs fine. 
I have payed premiere for testing because i would love to play emby on my Homecinema (i hate Kodi 🤢)

But when i start a Movie the cyrcle runs and runs...
(libatomic1  is installed)

StefanArt
2 hours ago, StefanArt said:

I have the same prblem. 
Server V4.6.4.0 and Theater 3.0.15 on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS. FireTV and Web runs fine. 
I have payed premiere for testing because i would love to play emby on my Homecinema (i hate Kodi 🤢)

But when i start a Movie the cyrcle runs and runs...
(libatomic1  is installed)

Installed 3.0.14 and it works 👍

MartinCheetham

That's great.  Where did you download it from?  I have tried to find downloads for older releases but not managed to find them anywhere aside from GITHUB which are not debs.

StefanArt

I also have updated the Server to 4.7.5.0. I don´t think that solve the problem but you can try. 

MartinCheetham

Sadly you are right.  I updated the server after my original post so I am already on 4.7.5.0.

• Sad 1

MartinCheetham

I have an update.  I have removed the (Optional) shared network folder from the library definition on the server; works!  I then went back to 3.0.15 and that works too.  I assume that there was a problem with my definitions which I am trying to figure out now but odd that all the other clients were OK aside from Ubuntu.  I understood that Emby Theater would only use the path if it was available (i.e. works).

• Like 1

I also encountered the same bug.
Currently looking for a solution.

Server V4.8.0.0 and Theater 3.0.15 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, Metis said:

I also encountered the same bug.
Currently looking for a solution.

Server V4.8.0.0 and Theater 3.0.15 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. 

Hi, can you please try starting Theater from the terminal, then trying to play, and then supplying the complete terminal output ? Thanks.

Hi, I also have the same problem with Emby Theater on Ubuntu 22.04 lts.  Trying to play any music (or video) has been met with a spinning wheel.  This behavior occurs on the two systems that I have been playing around with using Emby for the last 7 months, an x86-64 machine (Intel I7-6700) and a raspberry pi4b arm64 machine. Emby Theater (3.0.15) worked fine on both machines when using Ubuntu 21.10 (arm64 machine) and Ubuntu 20.04 its (x86-64 machine). Attached are 2 files with the terminal output (1 file for each machine, each file has output for v. 3.0.15 and 3.0.16).  The two files also contain some system information. Version 3.0.16 does not change the program’s behavior.

Since I know enough to be dangerous, don’t go too far down this rabbit hole if you have other ideas.  It appears to be some type of GL problem (permissions related?) if I were to hazard a guess. Note the last line in some of the terminal output (‘failed to initialize mpv GL context’). If I, as root, set LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to ‘/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri’, the related errors in the terminal output are different (see the arm64 file). No change is seen if I set the path with my user or emby permissions.

Emby server is working fine. I can listen to music fine on remote devices. Just nothing from Emby Theater on the host machine.

Let me know if I can provide any other information. The pi4 controls my home audio multi-zone system and provides one of the audio inputs (from Emby Theater when it is working).

Thanks for looking into this.

embyTheaterOut_x64 embyTheaterOut_arm64

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I fumbled around some with my systems and found a way for things to work. The spinning wheel issue was resolved by replacing the libstdc++.so.6 file in /opt/emby-theater/lib with the (presumably newer) version in either /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu (x86_64 system) or usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu (arm64 system). See the attachment for more details on what led me to this result.

So it looks like it may be a case of outdated library files in Emby Theater when used on the latest Ubuntu release (22.04 lts) (although emby server does not have the same problem)? rather than a permissions issue. Disclaimer - I don’t know anything about the way libGL is structured and used by Emby Theater. But things appear to be working for now…. Of course, replacing just the one file could always have screwed up something else I have not tried yet. (Always fun trying to fix code broken by upgrades on either side)

EmbyTheaterSpinningWheel2.rtf

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 7:37 PM, TandT said:

Well, I fumbled around some with my systems and found a way for things to work. The spinning wheel issue was resolved by replacing the libstdc++.so.6 file in /opt/emby-theater/lib with the (presumably newer) version in either /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu (x86_64 system) or usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu (arm64 system). See the attachment for more details on what led me to this result.

So it looks like it may be a case of outdated library files in Emby Theater when used on the latest Ubuntu release (22.04 lts) (although emby server does not have the same problem)? rather than a permissions issue. Disclaimer - I don’t know anything about the way libGL is structured and used by Emby Theater. But things appear to be working for now…. Of course, replacing just the one file could always have screwed up something else I have not tried yet. (Always fun trying to fix code broken by upgrades on either side)

EmbyTheaterSpinningWheel2.rtf 4.78 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, that's helpful. We're looking into it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

@TandT @MartinCheetham can you try redownloading the 3.0.16 .deb and let us know how that compares? We've repackaged it with some library updates. We're also working on a 3.0.17 release with more updates but wanted to do a quick repackaging for now.

Thanks !

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, have not been able to play with this stuff for a while.  Yes, it works fine for my X64 system.  Am not going to try the arm64 install right now since I don't want to fix what is currently working on that system.  Thanks for your efforts.

• Thanks 1