Emby not generating thumbnails for new recorded content

Beaus1966

Any updates -- the last one was in January.  If 4.8 has come out since then my server must be stuck on 4.7 (as I am still on 4.7.14.0) currently.

pwhodges

4.7.14 was more recent than January.  Anyway, 4.8 is still in beta, and is not imminent yet as work on implementing the redesign of the login system following the security incident in the spring is not yet complete (it requires all clients to be updated as well).

Paul

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

4.7.14 was more recent than January.  Anyway, 4.8 is still in beta, and is not imminent yet as work on implementing the redesign of the login system following the security incident in the spring is not yet complete (it requires all clients to be updated as well).

Paul

And this is why I appreciate the Emby team so much. Never rush an update, it’s ready when it’s ready.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
GravityRZ

i am running 4.8 and can say.

i have added a new mp4 file but it is not getting a thumbnail

tried scannig library, refresh metadata

nothing

stesie

Same happens to my video files. All videoas added in the past couple days not getting a thumbnail.

I suppose it is in context of the automatic server update (to v4.8.0.80) that happend to my installation 4 days ago.

Edited by stesie

stesie

All videoas added in the past couple days not getting a thumbnail.

I suppose it is in context of the automatic server update (to v4.8.0.80) that happend to my installation 4 days ago.

stesie

Examples of mp4 files that no Thumbnails are generated for:

Titel1080p H264
CodecH264
Codec Tagavc1
ProfilHigh
Level42

Titel720p H264
CodecH264
Codec Tagavc1
ProfilHigh
Level40

Titel1080p H264
CodecH264
Codec Tagavc1
ProfilHigh
Level40

Edited by stesie

Happy2Play

Have you verified library setting for Image capture?

But testing adding new item is extracted for me.

2024-02-06 11:05:37.883 Info QuickSingleImageExtractor: ProcessRun 'quick-extract-image' Execute: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe -skip_list 147 -f matroska -threads 1 -copyts -i file:"C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Photo\Test videos\This is a test video.mkv" -an -sn -update 1 -vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,600)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2,thumbnail=24" -vsync 0 -f image2 "C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\temp\9b8971e6-534a-4722-8047-5cd77db4483e.jpg"
2024-02-06 11:05:39.129 Debug ProviderManager: Saving image to C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Photo\Test videos\This is a test video-poster.jpg

Happy2Play

Yep sounds like there may have been an issue in the upgrade possibly resetting this library option.

Yea I would review your library options and ensure that Image Capture is enabled. If it wasn't, then enable it and refresh the metadata on impacted items. 

IdeasMan

I also had the same problem after the update and fixed it by turning on the Image Capture fetcher under Episode Image Fetchers.

That fixed the missing image for my recorded TV, however, the image capture process is now inherently dumb. Previously, the thumbnail would choose a random image after a certain delay within the video file (typically a few minutes, say 4-6). This meant if your recording had a pre-recording buffer of say two minutes, the thumbnail would often be of the show you're recording.

Now it appears to be the first few seconds. This is completely pointless as if you have a pre-recording buffer then it's completely wrong. If you don't then it's highly unlikely to be a frame from the recorded show or anything which aids in identifying it at-a-glance.

I've attached two examples. The first shows the new behaviour in v4.8 where it's capturing either the show immediately preceding the news or an ad before the news (both recorded with a two minute buffer). Thus, they're useless.

The second image shows thumbnails generated by Emby v4.7 for TV recordings where it was generating the thumbnails a few minutes after the start. As you can see, they're all noticeably news footage and thus the thumbnails are useful.

Emby v4.8 recorded TV thumbnail creation.PNG

Emby v4.7 recorded TV thumbnail creation.PNG

Edited by IdeasMan

14 minutes ago, IdeasMan said:

I also had the same problem after the update and fixed it by turning on the Image Capture fetcher under Episode Image Fetchers.

That fixed the missing image for my recorded TV, however, the image capture process is now inherently dumb. Previously, the thumbnail would choose a random image after a certain delay within the video file (typically a few minutes, say 4-6). This meant if your recording had a pre-recording buffer of say two minutes, the thumbnail would often be of the show you're recording.

Now it appears to be the first few seconds. This is completely pointless as if you have a pre-recording buffer then it's completely wrong. If you don't then it's highly unlikely to be a frame from the recorded show or anything which aids in identifying it at-a-glance.

I've attached two examples. The first shows the new behaviour in v4.8 where it's capturing either the show immediately preceding the news or an ad before the news (both recorded with a two minute buffer). Thus, they're useless.

The second image shows thumbnails generated by Emby v4.7 for TV recordings where it was generating the thumbnails a few minutes after the start. As you can see, they're all noticeably news footage and thus the thumbnails are useful.

Emby v4.8 recorded TV thumbnail creation.PNG

Emby v4.7 recorded TV thumbnail creation.PNG

Hi, we'll take a look at that. Thanks for reporting.

• Thanks 1

@IdeasMan- What's your setting for thumbnail extraction?

image.png.7ee23c7711049ac9353ceaa5a8b8aa09.png

In case it's set to 10 seconds - does it make a difference when you change it to "Chaper Markers"?

IdeasMan

G'day @softworkz,

It was configured for 10 seconds (as it was in v4.7).

I changed it to Chapter markers as you requested and it's the same result for the video thumbnail, albeit, much worse overall.

Before when I had it set to 10 seconds, every five minutes I had images for the auto-generated chapters. Now they all show the same thing. Furthermore, the seek image on the timeline is missing. When I changed it back to every 10 seconds, my seek image returned on the timeline, my chapter images were restored but the thumbnail is still at timestamp 0:00. I even deleted the generated thumbnail image for the recording then told Emby to refresh the metadata; same image generated.

(Ignore the missing thumbnails for the first two episodes under More from Season 1; I have explicitly disabled image capture to help identify files missing them while this bug remains)

Thumbnail generation at chapter markers.PNG

Missing seek images on timeline with generation at chapter markers.png

Thumbnail generation at 10 second mark.PNG

Chapter images restored on timeline with 10 second generation.png