Emby not generating thumbnails for new recorded content

Beaus1966

Beaus1966

Hello,

Prior to updating to 4.7.2, thumbnail generation would run when the media was finished being recorded. However since I updated to 4.7.2, thumbnails do not get generated any more.

I have tried to manually run the scheduled task, which finishes in 0 seconds, and does not generate any thumbnails. The .bif files are missing from the media folders as well.

Thanks for your help!

Hello Beaus1966,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Beaus1966

@justinrh I turned on the “Generate video preview thumbnails” option in the library menu. “As a scheduled task and when media is added”

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
tsanchez88

Have you received any update on this issue, I'm seeing the same problem since the update. I've verified that I have Generate preview thumbnails turned on as both a scheduled task and when media is added. I tried unselecting, saving and then turning it back on with no luck. I also tried changing the time/frequency of the task as well as manually running without any luck.

I did find that if I select an episode and click on the three dots "..." and choose the "Refresh Metadata" option that it will then show thumbnails during the forward/rewind actions of that episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, have you updated to Emby Server 4.7.5? Are you still running into this?

Scott D

Just looked back at recordings for the last month.  Found that the thumbnail BIF files stopped being created just after 5-17-22.  5-17 recording created BIF as usual.  5-19 recording of the same program in the same directory/library did not create an associated BIF.

Found the same solution of using the REFRESH METADATA as the only solution.  Running the scheduled task did not function.  Library option for Video Preview Thumbnails is set to as a scheduled task and when media is added.

This had been working as expected until after 5/17.

Erik

My issues with the thumbnails started after 4.7 I think as a couple weeks ago I installed it and that is when the problems surfaced.

@Scott D what refresh metadata are you using? I tried the entire library refresh and the specific show refresh and I still cant the the thumbnails to generate...

Beaus1966

@Scott D I was able to refresh the metadata and have emby create the bif file. It seems that the video preview thumbnails are not getting generated when the recording finishes and also not when the scheduled task runs.

Erik

I misunderstood, thanks @Scott D. If I force refresh the individual media item and then manually run the thumbnail task it is created successfully as a workaround for the moment.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, Beaus1966 said:

@Scott D I was able to refresh the metadata and have emby create the bif file. It seems that the video preview thumbnails are not getting generated when the recording finishes and also not when the scheduled task runs.

Hi, yes we're looking into that. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
tsanchez88

Has anyone tried upgrading to 4.7.6.0 yet, curious if this problem is fixed as I noticed the following in the release notes:

* Fix regressions related to image extraction

Scott D

I am running 4.7.6.0 and I am still having the same issue as posted.  The fix seems to still be working.

IdeasMan

It's not fixed despite having v4.7.6.0 installed for ages. New or existing media/recordings; you need to do that refresh workaround.

Yea we're still trying to chase that down but the menial refresh at least provides a workaround. Thanks.

Scott D

I have tracked (at least on my system) the problem to be in the creation of the recording.  It seems that ffmpeg is having trouble with the untouched recording as created by Emby using my HDHomerun.  While the file will play with no issue using VLC, it chokes and gags while trying to play through Emby.  This is something that has just begun in the last few updates.  It had been working without issue as posted in the above link.

The working hack that I have found to produce a desired result is to "convert" the recording to a lower bitrate on a scheduled basis a few hours after recording.  Then schedule a library scan after the conversion.  Then run a scheduled "thumbnail extraction".  When that fails, a manual metadata refresh of the specific file seems to create the bif files.

Examples and logs have been provided in the above linked post.

Thanks to @speechles for the time taken to look into the log files.  At least a direction to look was provided.  Unfortunately, no solution was offered.  I guess the solution is to keep waiting for the next update, rinse and repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
IdeasMan
On 12/08/2022 at 02:23, Scott D said:

I have tracked (at least on my system) the problem to be in the creation of the recording.  It seems that ffmpeg is having trouble with the untouched recording as created by Emby using my HDHomerun.  While the file will play with no issue using VLC, it chokes and gags while trying to play through Emby.  This is something that has just begun in the last few updates.  It had been working without issue as posted in the above link.

The working hack that I have found to produce a desired result is to "convert" the recording to a lower bitrate on a scheduled basis a few hours after recording.  Then schedule a library scan after the conversion.  Then run a scheduled "thumbnail extraction".  When that fails, a manual metadata refresh of the specific file seems to create the bif files.

I've observed the behaviour on all sorts of new files, not just those recorded by Emby from Live TV. I've also seen Emby generate thumbnails randomly from Live TV recordings.

Thus, I don't believe it has anything to do with Live TV specifically; it just so happens to be more obvious because it's probably one of the ways a typical user queues lots of new files for Emby's thumbnail processor to generate the thumbnails for.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 8:16 AM, IdeasMan said:

I've observed the behaviour on all sorts of new files, not just those recorded by Emby from Live TV. I've also seen Emby generate thumbnails randomly from Live TV recordings.

Thus, I don't believe it has anything to do with Live TV specifically; it just so happens to be more obvious because it's probably one of the ways a typical user queues lots of new files for Emby's thumbnail processor to generate the thumbnails for.

Hi, yes we are looking into this. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
tsanchez88

I updated to 4.7.9.0 the other day and I think this might be working now. The last couple shows I've recorded have shown up with thumbnails without me needing to refresh the metadata. Before I get too excited, just curious if anyone else has noticed the issue resolved. I didn't see anything in the changelog that appeared to be related to this.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/08/2022 at 11:30, Luke said:

Yea we're still trying to chase that down but the menial refresh at least provides a workaround. Thanks.

Hi @Luke just a bump that this is still occurring on 4.7.11.0

Not sure if its fixed and now a problem on my side or still in the works for a fix.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Luke said:

It should be improved in the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

Thanks for the update and hard work on a great product!

• Thanks 1