Music Videos library missing a lot of videos

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
15 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

While trying to get a grasp of the work in front of me, I went to metadata manager and spotted another thing which makes little sense.

In the left pane menu under Music Videos, I see some song title listed, along with artist name thrown here and there.

My MV file structure exclusively uses artist folder (no loose media).

I think I found "why" some artist have an entry in metadata manager; those who do have a poster.jpg in the artist folder, and those who do not show up in meta mgr have no poster.jpg in their respective artist folder.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

1 hour ago, CharleyVarrick said:

While trying to get a grasp of the work in front of me, I went to metadata manager and spotted another thing which makes little sense.

In the left pane menu under Music Videos, I see some song title listed, along with artist name thrown here and there.

My MV file structure exclusively uses artist folder (no loose media).

image.thumb.png.9f0a9d003ce59356a319e1ff958e03f1.png

image.png.16dc09b69e4a22d2e7bb6ff2c9657dde.png

image.png.16c47f094166ba7ee6b46909588b96df.png

Why does that make little sense? What are you expecting to see?

CharleyVarrick
57 minutes ago, Luke said:

All Song titles OR all Band name, not half of each.

I thought Multi version was the main concern or issue with my music video library.

I am in fact discovering its a total mess. 90% of MV have a wrong and odd sort title, half of them have wrong artist, 2 out of 3 have wrong years.

A third of them are presented as movies with genres and actors.

Need I go on ?

I just learned a few hours ago that while there's no music video naming convention and also that Emby doesnt really look at music video file name and folder structure,

it goes bonkers when it find a dash between artist and song name.

I am faced with starting from scratch or removing music videos from Emby altogether.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

28 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

All Song titles OR all Band name, not half of each.

Example? I don't quite understand, sorry.

A third of them are presented as movies with genres and actors.

Why do you think they're presented as movies?

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Let me try again: when firing up metadata manager, and look under Music Videos I am expecting to see artist folder  w/right arrow (like 10cc, ACDC and Aerosmith).

The problem is this: I should not see "loose" orphaned song title files scattered within the artist folders (like 5 Days in May or 21st Century Schizoid Man), they should only be visible if I expand (arrow down) their respective artist. Emby metadata manager does not display a Blue Rodeo artist folder to nest 5 Days in May. Same for King Crimson with 21st century.

As is, its unworkable.

image.png.25c1f43ca03c5b47d81f5baca3aac411.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

That's just currently how we handle videos when it's just a single video in the folder. It applies to any video library type, although it's something that may change in future updates.

CharleyVarrick
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's just currently how we handle videos when it's just a single video in the folder. It applies to any video library type, although it's something that may change in future updates.

Look at my Blue Rodeo folder, 7 videos.

Why doesnt Emby present a Blue Rodeo folder item, instead all 7 videos are orphaned.

image.png.811b8c78829c011e40bc77f419ebefba.png

CharleyVarrick
39 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why do you think they're presented as movies?

image.thumb.png.049f62c68448e6c43a4f6906d031b4d2.png

You've named them according to our multi-version naming guidelines, so that is why they get joined together into one.

Just now, CharleyVarrick said:

image.thumb.png.049f62c68448e6c43a4f6906d031b4d2.png

That doesn't tell me anything. Just because all video types share a similar looking detail screen does not mean the system is treating it like a movie.

Perhaps you enabled MovieDb metadata on your music library, and if so, why did you do this?

CharleyVarrick
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Perhaps you enabled MovieDb metadata on your music library, and if so, why did you do this?

Because its there. I would have thought its thoughtfully offered as a plan B to help IMVDB.

In movies or tv shows libray options, there are more choices of data providers, MusicVideos only offers those 2 IMVDB and MovieDb.

CharleyVarrick
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

That doesn't tell me anything. Just because all video types share a similar looking detail screen does not mean the system is treating it like a movie.

Can we agree to 'present it in a similar fashion to a movie"

CharleyVarrick

In case you're wondering, yes, I have now unchecked movieDB from MusicVideos providers.

The damage is done.

5 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Because its there. I would have thought its thoughtfully offered as a plan B to help IMVDB.

In movies or tv shows libray options, there are more choices of data providers, MusicVideos only offers those 2 IMVDB and MovieDb.

It's there because some use music videos for concerts, and moviedb does have metadata for some of this kind of thing.

4 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Can we agree to 'present it in a similar fashion to a movie"

Yes, similar. The detail screen for all video types is exactly the same, and only varies based on what data the video has attached to it.

12 minutes ago, Luke said:

You've named them according to our multi-version naming guidelines, so that is why they get joined together into one.

Okay, so that contradicts what you said before which was the naming was irrelevant for music videos.

The naming is being treated like any other video and is picking up multi-versions due to how they are named.

Charley, the main issue is that  you have a folder called "XXXX" and then you have videos in that folder named "XXXX - [something else]".  The fact that the common part of the video names exactly matches the folder names is the key.  Change either of those and this problem should go away.

5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so that contradicts what you said before which was the naming was irrelevant for music videos.

The naming is being treated like any other video and is picking up multi-versions due to how they are named.

Charley, the main issue is that  you have a folder called "XXXX" and then you have videos in that folder named "XXXX - [something else]".  The fact that the common part of the video names exactly matches the folder names is the key.  Change either of those and this problem should go away.

I just meant that there's no naming convention in terms of artist/song, because we don't attempt to determine that information from the file name.

Other standard video naming conventions still apply.

CharleyVarrick
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

It will probably fix one problem, the multiversioning merging issue that I started with.

Do you have a suggestion to fix 1 out of 3 music videos that is treated 'presented it in a similar fashion to a movie"

I have (now) unchecked movieDB in library options, but how do I get rid of all movies related features ?

(movie background, genres, synopsis, actors etc)

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Tremas

Just my 2 cents, but I believe that if you delete the existing library where the items were being identified against a movie database and then create a new Music Video library and re-import you should get yourself back to square one without having to do a lot of manual unraveling. Do you have tags in your video files for artist, genre, title, etc? If so, I would just do the new library with no data providers and then go back and do individual IMVD searches for ones that need help.

CharleyVarrick
4 minutes ago, Tremas said:

Just my 2 cents, but I believe that if you delete the existing library where the items were being identified against a movie database and then create a new Music Video library and re-import you should get yourself back to square one without having to do a lot of manual unraveling. Do you have tags in your video files for artist, genre, title, etc? If so, I would just do the new library with no data providers and then go back and do individual IMVD searches for ones that need help.

Thanks for jumping in, so with Emby I use nfo files alongside media (as pictured above).

If I get you right, I would also need to nuke all those nfo and literally start from scratch.

EDIT

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Tremas

Well, right now they are all incorrectly identified as the best guess of movies (featuring Ninja Turtles apparently). Instead of trying to fix it, I would just delete that library, keep your files the way they are and then create a new library/import. So yeah, start from scratch, but you won't have to change your file names.

For my music video setup I create ID3 tags in the Mp4 video files and then export NFOs using MediaMonkey. Having the NFOs with the files ahead of import ensures that everything gets picked up by Emby and can be recovered if I move the server (which I did last summer). You don't have to do it that way, but it has worked for me.

The main thing is that you get Emby to pick up Artist, Album Artist, Title, Year and Genre (and not TMNT from 1997).

Tremas

I should also note that I use the file naming of "[artist] - [song].mp4" similar to you. I do use a flat file structure (no artist folders), but that's mainly to get around the fact that the Roku App doesn't have a "videos" tab, just a folders tab and I like to see a list of all the songs and filter/sort them.  It's the Metadata Downloaders that are screwing you up.

Also, be aware that the IMVDB is still kinda new and doesn't come up with the best matches all the time. You may still have some mismatches and manual editing to do, but it should be better than what you have. Luke and EBR are correct though, many users make Music Video libraries for concerts and movies like Pink Floyd's The Wall , which the TMDB works for. For what you and I are doing though, it's best to keep it disabled.

CharleyVarrick
4 minutes ago, Tremas said:

I should also note that I use the file naming of "[artist] - [song].mp4" similar to you. I do use a flat file structure (no artist folders), but that's mainly to get around the fact that the Roku App doesn't have a "videos" tab, just a folders tab and I like to see a list of all the songs and filter/sort them.  It's the Metadata Downloaders that are screwing you up.

Also, be aware that the IMVDB is still kinda new and doesn't come up with the best matches all the time. You may still have some mismatches and manual editing to do, but it should be better than what you have. Luke and EBR are correct though, many users make Music Video libraries for concerts and movies like Pink Floyd's The Wall , which the TMDB works for. For what you and I are doing though, it's best to keep it disabled.

Indeed I do have, separate from music videos, a Music Shows library which is a movie type library, but with whole shows instead of single song video.

I just made a test with Happy Together by The Turtles (not the Ninja flavor), and IMVDB id' it instead as Happy Together by The Nylons.

Just have to repeat this 2k times 😂

37 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Do you have a suggestion to fix 1 out of 3 music videos that is treated 'presented it in a similar fashion to a movie"

The apps all present music videos in a similar fashion to movies because they can have just as rich of metadata as a movie.  There can be chapters, people/actors etc.

I think if you fix the versioning situation, and disable tmdb as a provider, you should get a long way to what you expect.

• Like 1