Jump to content

Movie darker in Edge


fillidill
 Share

Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Recommended Posts

fillidill

As you can see in the screenshots, the same movie gets darker for some reason when playing it in the browser Edge, in Chrome however it looks correct. After these images where taken I updated and tested both in latest version of stable and beta but same problem.

I also attached an image of the dashboard when the movie was playing in both browser and it seems to differ. Why is that? Also please note that the one on the right is played in Edge even though Emby incorrectly says it's played in Chrome.

chrome.png

edge.png

dashboard.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, looks like edge is direct playing. The browser doesn't support tone mapping hdr by itself so this can only be done via server transcoding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

fillidill
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, looks like edge is direct playing. The browser doesn't support tone mapping hdr by itself so this can only be done via server transcoding.

Thanks for a quick reply Luke. Is there any fix? I have tried changing this setting but makes no difference.

hdr.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
GrimReaper
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fillidill said:

Thanks for a quick reply Luke. Is there any fix? I have tried changing this setting but makes no difference.

hdr.png

And it can't make any difference, as it is Direct Played in  Edge. If you're keen on using Edge to play it, you need to force transcoding, i.e. lower in-app quality below item bitrate (while accepting loss in PQ). Else use different browser that doesn't Direct Play HEVC (Chrome, Firefox) and transcoding will be triggered automatically. 

Alternatively, you can disable Hardware accelleration in Edge System settings - note that that will apply to all HEVC content, causing transcoding on any HEVC flavor (8-bit, 10-bit, SDR, HDR).

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eventually we'll have a better way of forcing the transcoding for hdr

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

fillidill
53 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

And it can't make any difference, as it is Direct Played in  Edge. If you're keen on using Edge to play it, you need to force transcoding, i.e. lower in-app quality below item bitrate (while accepting loss in PQ). Else use different browser that doesn't Direct Play HEVC (Chrome, Firefox) and transcoding will be triggered automatically. 

Alternatively, you can disable Hardware accelleration in Edge System settings - note that that will apply to all HEVC content, causing transcoding on any HEVC flavor (8-bit, 10-bit, SDR, HDR).

Thanks a lot for that detailed explanation :) I disabled hardware acceleration in Edge for now.
  

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Eventually we'll have a better way of forcing the transcoding for hdr

Sounds good.
You guys are doing really good work, can't say that enough. Been using Emby daily for a long while now and loving it. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...