Give a lower time interval for Media scan

Haruko Ishikawa
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Haruko Ishikawa

I would like to see an interval of 5 min in the automation scheduler. This helps with the library refresh when using SMB. The real time monitoring seems to be broken when using emby with SMB. The scan scheduler seems to work for a refresh of the library. This is a workaround I found. Now my library will update every 15 min. New content added to the SMB server will show up in emby after 15 min. Thanks if you could implement a lower timer!

image.png.438624769a4a19973c130c1da072b5c5.png

Hi, I think it's better to look at an example of the realtime monitor instead. It's works just fine if it supported in your environment.

Haruko Ishikawa

Hi, thanks for a quick answer. I have tried the real time monitor on SMB mounted folders but it doesn't seem to work for me. Sadly I don't know how to fix it. This is just a workaround. Do you have any tip maybe or clues on why the real time monitor seems to break when using smb mounted folders

Did you add the SMB path directly to Emby Server, or did you mount it in the operating system to a local path, and then add the local path to Emby Server?

2 hours ago, Haruko Ishikawa said:

local path on the system, and then added the local path to Emby Server

Can you please go over an example and attach the emby server log? Thanks.

• Solution
Happy2Play

Yes, it is best to troubleshoot why RTM does not work on this setup.

But you can modify the custom scheduled task in C:\Users\Media\Desktop\4.6.7.0\programdata\config\ScheduledTasks\6330ee8f-b4a9-57f3-3981-f89aa78b030f.js (path varies per platform).  Or if you are familiar with Emby API you can change it there.

You would change "9000000000" to "3000000000" and restart your Emby server.

Only issue is seeing different calculation

image.png.2a6d963fb608f89e467b1dea408ecddc.png

image.png.8b6c6b507f4ecabea106cbfda08bfbd4.png

But scanning that often can be problematic depending on how long a scan takes on your system.

rbjtech
12 hours ago, Haruko Ishikawa said:

local path on the system, and then added the local path to Emby Server

Why don't you just map the UNC/SMB Path directly in Emby ?

ie

\\MEDIA\TVShows

You can have both the local map and the direct Emby map if you wish.

I've always used UNC share naming from day 1 - even for local storage, I still map to the UNC share because it makes it so much more flexible.

Ensure the Emby process has permissions to access the remote share (read only is fine, but if you need to write metadata etc, then it needs read/write).

Haruko Ishikawa

I am currently on Linux. How would I change the ticks? For example on Linux. The SMB is sadly password protected which means Emby couldn't map it without being a guest account with no password. Is it possible to also include the password/username parameters when using Emby's solution for SMB mounting?

Happy2Play
55 minutes ago, Haruko Ishikawa said:

I am currently on Linux. How would I change the ticks?

From a server log what path is shown for Cache/Logs/Metadata/Transcode-temp?  But \config\ScheduledTasks will be in that same location.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Haruko Ishikawa said:

I am currently on Linux. How would I change the ticks? For example on Linux. The SMB is sadly password protected which means Emby couldn't map it without being a guest account with no password. Is it possible to also include the password/username parameters when using Emby's solution for SMB mounting?

A good question - I tried a few years ago but resorted to using the service account - not ideal.

Haruko Ishikawa

Hi. I did found the config on my emby server and was able to change it. Why would this scanning period be problematic. My system seems to scan in 7 seconds? It seems like the scan isn't reinitializing the whole library from scratch. Thanks for answers but i hope in future updates that we also can have password/username parameters. Where should this be moved am a bit confused about that part tho? 

I think this is too short of a time to put in the user interface but you can still accomplish it via config file editing like mentioned above.

6 hours ago, Haruko Ishikawa said:

Hi. I did found the config on my emby server and was able to change it. Why would this scanning period be problematic. My system seems to scan in 7 seconds? It seems like the scan isn't reinitializing the whole library from scratch. Thanks for answers but i hope in future updates that we also can have password/username parameters. Where should this be moved am a bit confused about that part tho? 

That all depends on how many changes have occurred since the last scan.  With a really short interval, the situation where a new scan is trying to kick off before the last one finished becomes more likely and the system could get into a situation where it is just thrashing pretty easily.  That's why we don't want to make shorter intervals readily available in the UI.

Haruko Ishikawa

Okay i see. Then i will go with the option to change the server conf instead yes. Hope that in the future emby also can pass password/username in smb 

Haruko Ishikawa
On 24/05/2022 at 02:19, Happy2Play said:

Yes, it is best to troubleshoot why RTM does not work on this setup.

But you can modify the custom scheduled task in C:\Users\Media\Desktop\4.6.7.0\programdata\config\ScheduledTasks\6330ee8f-b4a9-57f3-3981-f89aa78b030f.js (path varies per platform).  Or if you are familiar with Emby API you can change it there.

You would change "9000000000" to "3000000000" and restart your Emby server.

Only issue is seeing different calculation

image.png.2a6d963fb608f89e467b1dea408ecddc.png

image.png.8b6c6b507f4ecabea106cbfda08bfbd4.png

But scanning that often can be problematic depending on how long a scan takes on your system.

This was the solution thanks! Path to the config on Linux is at "/var/lib/emby/config/ScheduledTasks/6330ee8f-b4a9-57f3-3981-f89aa78b030f.js". Path to change the time interval in ticks for Emby auto media scan in scheduled tasks. Closing this thread now. Thanks for all help :) Awesome forum tho! Thanks to you all wonderful people!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
kufkis

I'm here solely to show support for this request, even if I already resolved this issue on my own.  It's easily resolved and noone has to go searching forums or google for what the definition of an "interval tick" is if this is implemented.

My request is that scheduled tasks have a custom interval field where people can define their own intervals or add 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, and 10 minutes entries in the static interval list.

In the meantime, my workaround for this issue is locating the Scheduled Task in the emby/config/ScheduledTasks/ folder and changing the value from:

[{"Type":"IntervalTrigger","IntervalTicks":9000000000}]

to

[{"Type":"IntervalTrigger","IntervalTicks":600000000}]

using the formula 10,000,000 * (interval time in seconds).  60 seconds in this example.

I may only use this for debugging, performance monitoring, or small tasks that don't require a lot of power but I'd still use my own custom interval time occasionally.  I already implemented my 1 minute scheduled task successfully so I don't need any follow up here but I feel like someone with less technical expertise may not be able to figure out how to make a custom interval so I thought I'd request this feature.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.868f5bcb68fe6bc321984f9f57943880.jpg

Edited by kufkis
I moved the picture location.