No audio on direct play

HtRabbit

HtRabbit

I'm not sure if it helps, but the same video plays fine if I cast it to the TV from my phone or use kodi emby interface.

I mostly noticed this after doing the core update 3.7

Screenshot_20220521-112057.thumb.png.989619aa2f712ce8f902ec52db5006b8.pngembyserver.txt

SamES
10 hours ago, HtRabbit said:

I mostly noticed this after doing the core update 3.7

Do you mean 4.7.0.60?

HtRabbit
9 hours ago, SamES said:

Do you mean 4.7.0.60?

Sorry , yes. 

SamES
On 22/05/2022 at 04:31, HtRabbit said:

'm not sure if it helps, but the same video plays fine if I cast it to the TV from my phone or use kodi emby interface.

So just to confirm, do you think the same file was working with DirectPlay and the audio was fine prior to the server upgrade?

Can you please attach a server log for the Samsung DirectPlay example where you're not hearing any audio?

HtRabbit
5 hours ago, SamES said:

So just to confirm, do you think the same file was working with DirectPlay and the audio was fine prior to the server upgrade?

Can you please attach a server log for the Samsung DirectPlay example where you're not hearing any audio?

embyserver-no Audio.txt

@SamES

HtRabbit

I have upgraded to the new version of the Samsung TV app. Still having strange audio issues. I played back to movies, both of them I was able to hear background sounds Maybe music if it was playing but all the vocal audio or the actors voices was either very muted or impossible to hear I don't know if that'll help you it's almost like it's not encoding all the tracks. My TV is connected to the network via hardwire at 1 GB. Log file and screenshots below.embyserver samsung bad audio.txtScreenshot_20220525-103431.thumb.png.277dcdf1532694824604b818f7f57c22.pngScreenshot_20220525-104020.thumb.png.eb1c281efabc093f0d121ece4a63f90e.png

Edited by HtRabbit

SamES
17 hours ago, HtRabbit said:

I was able to hear background sounds Maybe music if it was playing but all the vocal audio or the actors voices was either very muted or impossible to hear

Does that happen even when it is DirectPlay?  That doesn't sound right

• 2 weeks later...
HtRabbit

yes it did it on direct play as well, i have been doing some testing on my end. if i disable the optical out on tv and just use internal speakers it is ok, after that i can re-enable the optical and everyone seems happy till i change movies or restart tv

SamES

It sounds like you have something going on with audio/optical output on your TV (unrelated to the app/server).  I would suggest testing with the TV's internal speakers as well to verify that it works fine with them and it's just an audio output problem.

• Like 1

HtRabbit

while i agree, its weird that it only does it with this app. if i use emby from my computer and cast the same movie to the same tv it sounds fine.

i think it is not worth digging into as it is only a couple that give me issues

• Thanks 1

SamES
On 06/06/2022 at 14:25, HtRabbit said:

while i agree, its weird that it only does it with this app. if i use emby from my computer and cast the same movie to the same tv it sounds fine.

I'm not sure, it may be that you're not getting the same multi channel audio when casting, so you're not having the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
thunderclap

I'm not sure if this is the same issue -- though I suspect it is -- I have two users with 4k Samsung Smart TV's and both reported no audio when watching videos recently. The fix we've found was to manually set the playback option from Auto. Since I don't have a Samsung Smart TV it's hard for me to troubleshoot, though it did seem to happen after updating Emby server to 4.7.2.

• 2 months later...
Shenniko

Have the same issue myself.

When i open the stats for nerds, when its direct sound i dont get any audio, if i keep lowering the quality to the point where the audio transcodes, i get audio..

3 hours ago, Shenniko said:

Have the same issue myself.

When i open the stats for nerds, when its direct sound i dont get any audio, if i keep lowering the quality to the point where the audio transcodes, i get audio..

Can you please provide the media info for this file and also the ffmpeg log after you get it to transcode?

• 1 year later...
Foxsneaks

Sorry to revive an old topic. Just started using Emby and am having the EXACT issue on my Samsung TV using the Emby app ver. 1.2.6. I get no audio whatsoever. 

28 minutes ago, Foxsneaks said:

Sorry to revive an old topic. Just started using Emby and am having the EXACT issue on my Samsung TV using the Emby app ver. 1.2.6. I get no audio whatsoever. 

Can you please provide the full media info for the file you’re trying to play, your tv model, etc. 

Foxsneaks
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Can you please provide the full media info for the file you’re trying to play, your tv model, etc. 

it happens for every type of media I try. 
for example: I am transcoding the video, but direct playing the audio. The stats for nerds section shows the Audio file is EAC3 5.1

640kbps 

tv is Samsung Frame 2019, updated to latest firmware and Emby version for Samsung 1.2.6.

all files work fine when I play directly on my iPhone AND my Apple TV. I can’t cast anything up to Emby to the Samsung TV as it doesn’t have a built in chrome cast, but does have AirPlay. But I can’t see any option for AirPlay inside of Emby. 

when I screen mirror my phone to the Samsung TV and then play a Emby video it works fine.

all settings are set to auto, English by default 

1.2.6 is a very old version and the issue you are describing with EAC3 with transcoded video was resolved in later versions

Are using the installation from the App Store, or a very old USB beta installation?

Foxsneaks
1 minute ago, SamES said:

1.2.6 is a very old version and the issue you are describing with EAC3 with transcoded video was resolved in later versions

Are using the installation from the App Store, or a very old USB beta installation?

Hey, that’s very odd. I’ve downloaded it from the Samsung App Store. Maybe I should try downloading it through a USB..? 

Just now, Foxsneaks said:

Hey, that’s very odd. I’ve downloaded it from the Samsung App Store. Maybe I should try downloading it through a USB..? 

Yes, that would give you the latest update, but just be aware that you need to download and install the latest USB version every 30 days as Samsung adds a built in expiry to USB beta installs. If you can tolerate this then it will always be more current than the store version.  Anyway, once the TV is 5 years old they won’t allow us to update the store version so then you will need to use the USB version. 

Foxsneaks
4 minutes ago, SamES said:

2 minutes ago, SamES said:

Yes, that would give you the latest update, but just be aware that you need to download and install the latest USB version every 30 days as Samsung adds a built in expiry to USB beta installs. If you can tolerate this then it will always be more current than the store version.  Anyway, once the TV is 5 years old they won’t allow us to update the store version so then you will need to use the USB version. 

Thanks for the link. That’s the exact issue! Great find. Looks like my store never updated, so will just have to go with the USB route. Not ideal, but better than no Audio!!

5 minutes ago, Foxsneaks said:

Thanks for the link. That’s the exact issue! Great find. Looks like my store never updated, so will just have to go with the USB route. Not ideal, but better than no Audio!!

I’ve just checked and for some reason v1.6.4 has been stuck in the Samsung review process. We had the same issue earlier in the year which is why 2019 models are on such an old version. I’ll send them a message tonight to try and get it moving.