Background playback for video in iOS

Natelanxon

Natelanxon

Thank you for the brilliant work on the app for iOS and iPadOS, which in almost all respects thrashes everything else. I would love though to see background playback of audio on video files added, for a few reasons:

1: If watching a video and you click on a notification, I often like the video to just keep playing its audio while I quickly answer a text or email in another app

2: At nighttime, I often listen to a show under my pillow quietly as I fall asleep, but leaving the screen on increases device heat significantly and it’s possible also to pause or skip episode by mistake

3: Some video files are enjoyable without the need for video, such as director’s commentaries and podcasts.

Apps that incorporate this well on iOS include nPlayer and Infuse, the latter of which also has a decent implementation of iOS/iPadOS Picture-in-Picture support for a number of video containers (there is another thread requesting PiP specifically so I just focused on background audio here, though I would dearly like PiP in Emby as well).

For me and my family the background playback feature exclusion is the one reason we keep Infuse on our devices for occasional use, but have entirely moved to Emby on desktop (via web) and Apple TV via the Emby app. We’d greatly appreciate being able to just use Emby for every use case and thank you in advance for the addition, and in general for the otherwise superb application.

• 11 months later...