Buying advise Fire-TV Cube vs Shield TV Pro

Anderella

Anderella

Hi, hope I select the correct forum area.

As it seems that my Fire-TV (First Gen.) should be retired - problem with DTS playback, I'm thinking of upgrading.

Can someone be so kind and give some hints?

Right now my receiver doesn't support 7.1 or Dolby Atmos, but who knows what the future brings :)

But he deals with Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

As I rip my blurays always with all HD and uncompressed audio tracks, using them with my current/new system would be great.

And:

As I didn't find information under the devices specifications, if they support AIFF-playback, I'm very happy if somebody could confirm compatibility.

Thank you.

Hi, given the choice I would go with the Shield as it's still the most robust option.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
CassTG

I have owned both and my opinion changes on each device

Fire cube is worth it when it is on offer not full price. It has shortcomings such as no voice search in emby. Awful ui but it is a flawless performer

I have both the shield pro and shield tube. Both handle everything I can throw at it with very little difference in performance between them although most my streams under 50mbps so can't talk for higher bitrates.

I would have said 4 months ago the shields are solid reliable devices and well worth the money. However 2 downsides at the moment. Firstly the old ui was clean the new google tv ui is as bad as amazon ui

Secondly since the latest update shield experience it's become a cluster duck. With things working one update and broken the next. So if you get one and want hassle free experience don't update to the latest shield experience. Think I'm on the 6th hotfox and certain functions are still booked.

• Like 1

Anderella

Thank you very much for your thoughts and your help.

Can you probably verify, if both devices support AIFF-playback?

###

Right now, I basically would prefer the Fire-TV - but I have to wait for "amazon-selling-days".....

• 2 months later...
playloud

Would a properly configured PC running Emby Theatre top both these options? At least as far as compatibility with video/audio specs.

Borsk
5 hours ago, playloud said:

Would a properly configured PC running Emby Theatre top both these options? At least as far as compatibility with video/audio specs.

Yes lol 

RanmaCanada
On 26/08/2022 at 14:16, playloud said:

No as HDR and surround sound are completely broken in windows, and I have no experience doing these in linux, but I imagine it's the same garbage.  DolbyVision is also hit and miss on PC.  My TV has DolbyVision, but I can't get my PC to see it has it.