Dolby Vision in mpv

generiq

horstepipe
On 3/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, rbjtech said:

#2 - The new beta Release (any day/hour now ..) will support DV as well - I believe it will mark as DV+HDR10 if it's DV7 or 8 and just say DV if it's DV5 - but to be confirmed.

@Lukewill it be this way?

rbjtech
1 minute ago, horstepipe said:

@Lukewill it be this way?

In the new BETA - no, it just says '4K Dolby Vision' ... :(

(Gonna cause even more confusion now imo ..)

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

In the new BETA - no, it just says '4K Dolby Vision' ... :(

(Gonna cause even more confusion now imo ..)

I couldn't agree more. Nothing is won by this as it essentially doesn't tell anything useful.

@Luke

• Agree 1

horstepipe
On 3/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, horstepipe said:

Also I'm wondering. Infuse added dolby vision profile 8 support to its app on TVOS. So shouldn't Emby theoretically being able to do the same for Android/AndroidTV - independent of the hardware support?

@softworkz

do you think this or similar will come to exo, too? 

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

do you think this or similar will come to exo, too? 

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

independent of the hardware support?

First of all - nothing can be done without any kind of hardware support. It's just too much processing needed to do it in software.

Then there's the question about which kind of hardware support. Either, there's specific support for DoVi, then a player could use that. This would be limited to devices officially supporting DoVi (licensed). This is the only way I would expect for Exo player support officially - as Exo player is maintained by Google.

Maybe there will be a Vulkan based implementation at some time in the future, done by someone as a (non-official) Exo player extension. In that case, Emby might be able to pick it up - but I wouldn't count on this to happen.

Now about Infusion: As far as I understand, they do not add general DoVi capability to TVOS devices. They only enable playback of profile 8 to devices which are already supporting DoVi (profile 5) by somehow converting P8 to P5.

horstepipe
8 hours ago, softworkz said:

Now about Infusion: As far as I understand, they do not add general DoVi capability to TVOS devices. They only enable playback of profile 8 to devices which are already supporting DoVi (profile 5) by somehow converting P8 to P5.

Thanks.

Yes, you are right. I was hoping that this kind of approach would come to the amazon devices some days, too - As like the Apple TV they also just support profile 5.

horstepipe

Sorry I highjacked the thread a little. @Abobaderwould you mind splitting it up since this post

thread title "dolby vision in exopolayer" or similar. Thanks!

rbjtech
30 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Although on the Fire tv specs page you see this:

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.1572de4361a1e6b2603cf6509f09e890.PNG

@rbjtech?

Sorry - little confused - What are you querying ?

Since Amazon devices started supporting DV (from the Fire TV Stick 4K onwards I believe), they have always supported profiles 5 and 8 (and 9).  Which are the 'streaming' profiles.   Profile 7 is the profile only a few devices support because it's the 'UHD Disk' profile - and thus I guess they don't want to be seen supporting potentially non streaming content.

The Shield 2019 is still king here - it plays/supports them all.

Edited by rbjtech

horstepipe
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Sorry - little confused - What are you querying ?

Since Amazon devices started supporting DV (from the Fire TV Stick 4K onwards I believe), they have always supported profiles 5 and 8 (and 9).  Which are the 'streaming' profiles.   Profile 7 is the profile only a few devices support because it's the 'UHD Disk' profile - and thus I guess they don't want to be seen supporting potentially non streaming content.

The Shield 2019 is still king here - it plays/supports them all.

ahh okay then I misunderstood that somewhere in the other thread. Thought these devices only support profile 5.

Thanks!

Edited by horstepipe

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, generiq said:

What's in the update? I'll check it, later.

It's an update from mpv 0.35 to 0.35.1. @generiq

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe
On 4/5/2023 at 12:55 AM, softworkz said:

Sorry I need to ask again as I was a little confused.

So for TVOS (mpv player), is there any chance for Emby to also "enable playback of profile 8 to devices which are already supporting DoVi (profile 5)?

Best regards

22 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Sorry I need to ask again as I was a little confused.

So for TVOS (mpv player), is there any chance for Emby to also "enable playback of profile 8 to devices which are already supporting DoVi (profile 5)?

I don't know, to be honest. You could ask in the MPV forums whether that's possible with MPV. If yes, then we can look how to make it work, but if MPV can't do it, then there's probably not much we can do.

• Thanks 1

generiq

mpv only supports DV through tone mapping. I suspect that might be too much processing for a TVOS device