Identify option for Movie Extras

roaku

roaku

I have a lot of Movie Extras that have detailed images and metadata available on the metadata providers, but no convenient way to associate it with my media through Emby.

I'd like to have the 'identify' option added to the 'More' menu for movie Extras, so I can easily retrieve metadata for items that I know will have it.

My current workarounds are either:

- Using MetaX to generate an nfo before adding the Extra to the library and manually downloading the images

- Adding the item to a Movie type library to be auto-identified, then moving n number of files (media, images, nfo) over to the Extras folder.

Neither are fun.

Edited by roaku

roaku
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@roakuWhat Extras have online metadata?  

TMDB's rule is that making of docs with a credited director generally qualify as a movie in their own right, and Laurent Bouzereau has directed a lot of making of docs:

https://www.themoviedb.org/person/936584-laurent-bouzereau

I pull these off my Blu-rays and dvds.

roaku

I have a separate Special Features library of movie type for a curated subset of my extras, and I use strm files to bridge between these items as an extra under their corresponding movie and this library.

In the context of this Special Features Movie library, the items (that exist on TMDB) are auto-identified and the metadata and the images pulled down just like any other movie. It's very convenient. Unfortunately, there's no metadata fetching equivalent on the Movie Extras side, so I have to manually copy the metadata and images for those.

I think auto-identification would have too many misses with non-existent items to be worth it, but the manual identify option being available would be a nice compromise.

Just to give you an idea, the Alien Anthology Archives collection below contains 8 separate entries that exist on TMDB. I still have a lot of special feature discs to rip.

special-features.png.b2c414caaec66183a93d3d53c2c84b2b.png

crusher11

I think I might have asked for something similar a while back, in the sense of being able to have a movie as an extra. Even in situations like Criterion packaging Killer's Kiss as an extra for The Killing, or Columbia Territory as an extra for High Sierra, it would be useful, but it's definitely even moreso in terms of things like Charles Laughton Directs The Night of the Hunter or the absolutely massive WB doco in the special edition of Casablanca.

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...
crusher11

The current cock-up with extras for multi-version movies being treated as movies is showing me just how many of my extras actually have metadata available. It would be great if I could retain this going forward. The NFO might still be there but it'll delete the cast list, TMDB/IMDB ID, etc etc when I update in a few years.