Samsung TV issues

dadofhgnadn

cameronfulford

I've been having issues installing emby on my samsung tv. I had it on there and was having issues with it so I deleted the app and went to the app store to install again and get error 118. Ive done everything. Ive tried to install from a usb but it says something about security and cant install. Ive reset the tv to factory default. Used different internet connections. Reset the hub. Called samsung they remoted into the tv and said since i only have issues downloading the emby app and not others it must be the app itself. That maybe its not supported on the tv anymore. 

Has the app on this model of samsung tv been discontinued?

Model code. UN58MU6070

SOFTWARE VERSION T-KTMAKUC-1310.1

17 hours ago, cameronfulford said:

I've been having issues installing emby on my samsung tv. I had it on there and was having issues with it so I deleted the app and went to the app store to install again and get error 118. Ive done everything. Ive tried to install from a usb but it says something about security and cant install. Ive reset the tv to factory default. Used different internet connections. Reset the hub. Called samsung they remoted into the tv and said since i only have issues downloading the emby app and not others it must be the app itself. That maybe its not supported on the tv anymore. 

Has the app on this model of samsung tv been discontinued?

Model code. UN58MU6070

SOFTWARE VERSION T-KTMAKUC-1310.1

Hi, even the App Store gives you an error? Is the date and time zone on your TV correct?

OK I'm not surprised their support would say that since it's a 2017 model and they don't want to support those anymore. They don't even let developers upload new app versions anymore unless it's 2019 or newer.

So they're passing the buck to us, but I really don't know what to say. We're using their build process to create the package and it installs on my test TV's.

cameronfulford

It's fine. I didn't really think it was something on èmbys side. I'll just get a new tv. I have a firestick i can use till then. Thanks for the quick responses though.

• Thanks 1

TV Model: UE82MU7000
Software version: T-KTMDEUC-1310.1

Hi gentles,

I hope you can help me work around a little problem.

Until recently, I used the Tizen TV app without problems on my Samsung, installed from USB as instructed. This basically always worked.

A week ago I wanted to update the app again, so I followed my default ritual: uninstalled the old version, loaded new onto USB, plugged in USB. Normally it immediately reports it is installing the app, but not this time. It only gave me the "browse files" option.

I tried redownloading, tried a different older version, tried rebooting, but all failed. Then I searched the App Store on an impulse and found that they now also have a version of Emby there, which I had never seen previously (and it also says it was updated on october 4th 2023 so I gather this is a new development). I figured that was the reason, and that I might as well use the app store version so I installed it.

However playback was suddenly choppy and some other things looked off so I checked the software version, which is at v1.2.6. Needless to say, that's running behind a bit. So I tried to install the USB version again, again no cookie, whether App Store version is installed or not.

Another option I thought of was to try a slightly older version of the app that I still had lying around but that also didn't work. So it's almost certainly not a problem with the installers. I know it also recognizes the USB stick since it gives me the option to browse it.

So my question is of course: is there a way that I can tell Emby to ignore the app store version and just install it from my stick anyway? Otherwise, is there a way to put a TV into dev mode or something, so there is access to more options or a terminal, or change the language region?

Or, failing that, does anyone know the maintainer for the app store version? Is there a reason it's running a relatively old version of the app?

Thank you very much for your time :)

Kind regards

FrostByte
1 hour ago, McAnix said:

TV Model: UE82MU7000
Software version: T-KTMDEUC-1310.1

So my question is of course: is there a way that I can tell Emby to ignore the app store version and just install it from my stick anyway? Otherwise, is there a way to put a TV into dev mode or something, so there is access to more options or a terminal, or change the language region?

Or, failing that, does anyone know the maintainer for the app store version? Is there a reason it's running a relatively old version of the app?

Thank you very much for your time :)

Kind regards

Samsung does not accept or test applications for TV models once they become 5 years old unless developers pay additional money to become a full partner.  Larger companies like Netflix, Amazon, etc can afford that.  Unfortunately, you are either stuck with the last one submitted before the cutoff, or you have to install from usb every 30 days.

Samsung TVs do allow you to put them into dev mode and install, but that requires the devs to give out the uncompiled source which they have never done.

As, far as why the latest usb is not installing is odd because it works for me and probably most others.  Do you have any usb installed apps at all?  Because Tizen only allows one at a time.  It doesn't even have to be Emby.  Tizen will just ignore your install folder as long as another developer app is installed.  It could also be it doesn't like your usb for some reason.  Such as the install isn't in the root, or it just doesn't like the type of drive you used.  Or, try power cycling the TV.  Last resort, I've seen some people say they had to factory reset their TV. 

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Samsung does not accept or test applications for TV models once they become 5 years old unless developers pay additional money to become a full partner.  Larger companies like Netflix, Amazon, etc can afford that.  Unfortunately, you are either stuck with the last one submitted before the cutoff, or you have to install from usb every 30 days.

Samsung TVs do allow you to put them into dev mode and install, but that requires the devs to give out the uncompiled source which they have never done.

As, far as why the latest usb is not installing is odd because it works for me and probably most others.  Do you have any usb installed apps at all?  Because Tizen only allows one at a time.  It doesn't even have to be Emby.  Tizen will just ignore your install folder as long as another developer app is installed.  It could also be it doesn't like your usb for some reason.  Such as the install isn't in the root, or it just doesn't like the type of drive you used.  Or, try power cycling the TV.  Last resort, I've seen some people say they had to factory reset their TV. 

Heya, thanks for your reply :)

I went ahead and bit the bullet and reset the TV. Ungh... the hassle of getting the remote settings working with all the other devices, I don't look foward to lol... for some reason that's a disaster in my setup. But I digress. IT WORKED! Popped in the USB and immediately installed no issues. Just wish I knew what got borked in the first place, but oh well.

I gather there's no manual command in dev mode that you can use to tell the TV to force-install... pity. Would've been nice to have terminal access and shell commands at your fingertips :)

Anyway, all resolved. Thank you again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FrostByte
4 hours ago, McAnix said:

Heya, thanks for your reply :)

I went ahead and bit the bullet and reset the TV. Ungh... the hassle of getting the remote settings working with all the other devices, I don't look foward to lol... for some reason that's a disaster in my setup. But I digress. IT WORKED! Popped in the USB and immediately installed no issues. Just wish I knew what got borked in the first place, but oh well.

I gather there's no manual command in dev mode that you can use to tell the TV to force-install... pity. Would've been nice to have terminal access and shell commands at your fingertips :)

Anyway, all resolved. Thank you again!

Great. I don't know why, but for some reason some people need to factory reset after a time in order for it to work again.

@SamESor Luke can correct me, but I don't believe you can install the compiled version from dev mode or through the SDK.  It was discussed a few times before Emby started being available WW and it was deemed you couldn't.  If the app was open source then Emby could have released the source all these years and I think a few of us would have done that.

• Like 1

but I don't believe you can install the compiled version from dev mode or through the SDK.

Right I don't think that will work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Great. I don't know why, but for some reason some people need to factory reset after a time in order for it to work again.

@SamESor Luke can correct me, but I don't believe you can install the compiled version from dev mode or through the SDK.  It was discussed a few times before Emby started being available WW and it was deemed you couldn't.  If the app was open source then Emby could have released the source all these years and I think a few of us would have done that.

Correct, it can only be installed via USB

• Like 1