Downloads stuck on "Ready to Transfer"

reap

On 3/13/2023 at 5:04 AM, raudraido said:

I have the same problem. Media is converted and ready to transfer, that's it.

This function has never properly worked for me. Every time I travel long haul i'm trying to use that feature and I do not remember when Emby hasn't failed me.

Hi there @raudraido let's look at a specific example:

Thanks.

raudraido
On 4/3/2023 at 7:45 PM, Luke said:

Hi there @raudraido let's look at a specific example:

Thanks.

Hi,

I think I found fix for my problem. Background App Refresh should be enabled in iPhone settings. At lest now it works for me.

Edited by raudraido
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I have this issue Android.

Hardware:

phone(client): Pixel 7 Pro (Android 13 - latest OTA sec patch(es))

emby client version: 3.2.92

emby server version: 4.7.11.0 (“Emby Server is up to date” is checked)

I have just at 50% space free (250GB) on the phone and ~22TB free on the Synology DS1821+ for the Emby server docker container resides.

Earlier this month, I pulled the trigger and picked up a lifetime premium license.  I came to Emby _precisely_, and _solely_, because the one.single.feature I give a crap about is the ability to sync my media and watch offline.  E.g. long flights, cruises, long roadtrips.  Plex detoothed it, w/nefarious intent it seems, so badly it just never finishes.  To be clear I have had _better_ success/experience of late w/Emby than Plex over the last few years.  But this is still supremely irksome.

I have 6 movies, 2 of which have been in “Ready to Transfer” for the last 10+ hours.  I’m on Wi-Fi and can reach the server w/out issue.  I have scheduled tasks for “Convert media” and “Transfer media”.  Both are set to app launch and every 15 minutes.  Further, I’ve ‘hammered’ on the manual ‘run now’ triangle for the transfer function.  Zero joy at every turn.  Prior to this, I had several other shows hanging around in the same status for a few weeks now.  I removed all of them and re-added them last night.  Conversion is no issue.  It’s the txfer action that’s crapping the bed.

I’ve attempted to make some connections to the various logs and paths but there are enough levels of obfuscation that I’ve been unable to detangle.  I can map the converted <hash>.mkv in the sync folder to the movie name and I can see the references to the Sync/Jobs/<isnt> ‘direct action’ but I don’t see anything pointing to txfer woes.

On another, perhaps related note.  I don’t see anything listed in the Conversions tab.  I clearly have download tasks set up.  

What gives?

Thanks,

—Gary

semioniy

+1 from me – same on Android app.

I noticed that it is the same episodes that don't get transferred every time. What I mean is:

• I have a show with 3 episodes (ongoing), I can play them back, files get transcoded correctly.
  • I try to download them to my phone, downsampled to 8mbps – 1st episode gets transcoded, but is stuck on "ready to transfer", 2nd and 3rd episodes land on the phone no problem.
  • I delete the files from the phone, delete the job, stop Emby server and purge all cache, stop phone app and clear its cache, start both
  • I attempt to download 3 episodes to the phone again, this time in the original quality – 1st episode is stuck on "ready to transfer", 2nd and 3rd episodes land on the phone no problem.

Doesn't matter if I initiate the job from the phone app or from web portal, if I choose original or lower quality, same happens again. Phone notification even says "downloading 2 items" – looks like the server didn't even attempt to start uploading the 1st episode. And, again, I can play the 1st episode no problem, no hitches or stutters – the file seems to be OK.

• 1 month later...
abuthemagician

For those on Android, I had the same problem. I fixed it by uninstalling then reinstalling the app. This will delete all media you have downloaded so it will need to be redownloaded. Just write down or screenshot what's already downloaded.

• 2 months later...
darkshifty
On 6/18/2023 at 4:54 AM, abuthemagician said:

For those on Android, I had the same problem. I fixed it by uninstalling then reinstalling the app. This will delete all media you have downloaded so it will need to be redownloaded. Just write down or screenshot what's already downloaded.

this can actually make the issue worse as my device got registered twice within emby

• 1 month later...

I am having exactly the same issue on my iPad with the last version. Downloads get stuck in “ready to transfer”. Sometimes, it shows “transferring 0%” for 1 second, and then returns to “ready to transfer”. 

Edited by Kranz

• 2 months later...
tomlawesome

I'm experiencing this issue with iOS.

Some files transfer, others don't. Conversion is not a problem. Streaming the files works perfectly, including live transcoding via gpu.

Files just sit on 'ready to transfer' with the occasional blip where it says 'transferring 0%' for a while before returning to 'ready to transfer'. Nothing ever gets transferred.

Given the fact this issue seems to occur across both iOS and Android, I'm inclined to say it's an Emby server related issue? It seems odd that both Android and iOS experience the same issue, given the different platform and different way they handle background tasks, where Android usually has no issues whatsoever.

In an effort to prevent background running tasks being a problem, I've verified that the app is allowed 'background refresh' in the phone settings, and I've even removed the download from the server/app, then rebooted the phone and the server. I reinitiated a download, which converted just fine. During the whole process I even tried streaming another file (which worked perfectly) to prevent the app from becoming inactive.

Really disappointed that this issue is still not resolved as it appears to have been a problem for many years now.

I've checked the logs to try and see if I could determine any potential points where an error occurred and found nothing, if you could highlight any particular syntax/strings to look for I'd be happy to share log sections privately. Only thing I've observed is nothing shows in the conversions tab, ever. The only thing that shows is on the main management screen, that there's a running conversion task.

Edited by tomlawesome

NDF1978

I am seeing this problem as well. It is on IOS and Android apps, both running most recent versions. and server on most recent stable release.

any developments on this?

queenbuzzo

Yeah this is a mess. Please do something about it, it's going on for years. Just ridiculous...

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to look at is that you need to avoid swipe closing the app. If you do that, the background downloads will not occur. You can move the app to the background and use other apps, just make sure not to close it.

raudraido

again emby failed me while traveling. I can not remember once it actually worked for me when I needed it.

• 2 weeks later...
Phreeak

Hello, I have the same problem....

Pixel 8 Pro
Emby Server 4.8.1.0

The only thing that happens is that it says "ready for transport". 

And yes, the app was open all the time 😕
That was one of the main reasons I switched from Jellyfin to Emby with Premium. 
I'm of the opinion that if the function hasn't worked for months (from what you read here) then you shouldn't advertise it either...

For me, Premium is just becoming pointless.

I would be delighted if there was a solution to this.

Kocane

Same trouble on Windows with the Store app. But luckily the new and great Windows app is "just around the corner" for 3 years now.

Politicians move faster than this.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Quack6765

same issue for me on my ipad and iphone. stuck in ready to transfer for days. not closing the app and background refresh is on.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, i am the same problem ! Someone to find a solution ? 

However, I even leave the emby application open with the screen which never turns off and it doesn't work. I'm on IOS for information.