emby tv subtitles not found?

jalfrezi

jalfrezi

Hi. I have just joined so I hope I am posting in the correct place? I am having an issue downloading subtitles. I know they are available because I can manually download from opensubtitles. The emby tv app does not allow me to search for a downloaded .srt file and the search for english subtitles only returns german subtitles. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

GrimReaper
20 minutes ago, jalfrezi said:

The emby tv app does not allow me to search for a downloaded .srt file

Can't search local subs within any client app, it needs to be done server side (Scan), subs must match video file name exactly, preferably with ISO language code appended. 

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles

21 minutes ago, jalfrezi said:

the search for english subtitles only returns german subtitles.

What is your language selection in library settings? 

jalfrezi

Thanks for your reply. I am new to emby. Always used plex before. The settings for subtitles are english. The search within the tv app does not find any. I have found a workaround by using mxplayer and installed the .srt file but would be better to use witin the app itself. External players are a bit hit and miss with emby for me

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, jalfrezi said:

The settings for subtitles are english.

42 minutes ago, jalfrezi said:

the search for english subtitles only returns german subtitles.

That's strange, as you should get no results in that case, unless you actually searched in German from within ATV app. @ebr

What subtitles plugin(s) you have installed/enabled? Have you configured them in respective settings tab in the server>Dashboard? 

jalfrezi

Hi. I will have to ask my son. He is the technical one. Usually if english subtitles are available they are listed within the emby tv drop down but in this case the are not which is why I downloaded manually. I will ask my son to check the settings. Thank you for your help

• Like 1

Hi.  If you are downloading them manually, you can just put the next to the media with the proper naming and they will show up in all apps.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, jalfrezi said:

I have found a workaround by using mxplayer and installed the .srt file but would be better to use witin the app itself. 

Yes, but I think he's requesting to be able to do that within ATV.  In other words, browse to the location it's downloaded and select it within ATV. 

• Agree 1

jalfrezi

Yes that is what I mean. My son controls the server. I just share his library so I do not have access to the controls you mention. Usually the English subtitles show but not on this one. I was just hoping that I could search for a downloaded file from the ATV app. Sorry I am not technical. Thanks everyone for your responses

3 hours ago, jalfrezi said:

Yes that is what I mean. My son controls the server. I just share his library so I do not have access to the controls you mention. Usually the English subtitles show but not on this one. I was just hoping that I could search for a downloaded file from the ATV app. Sorry I am not technical. Thanks everyone for your responses

He could give your emby user permission to download subtitles, then you'll be able to add new subtitles into the server.

• Like 1