Synology DS220+ need support techincal support

Jifeng4ever

Jifeng4ever

Just bought a Synology DS220+ NAS, which version of Emby server i should install? please guide, thx

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, Jifeng4ever said:

Just bought a Synology DS220+ NAS, which version of Emby server i should install? please guide, thx

First what version of DSM do you have installed?

• Like 1

@Jifeng4ever what @Happy2Play is getting at is that if it's running DSM 6 you want stop whatever you're doing and update it to DSM 7 or better yet 7.1 before you start installing to much.  Synology made a few major changes between versions 6 and 7 which makes a lot of work on you migrating 3rd party apps not written by them.

So don't install Emby yet. Do the upgrade first thing from Control Panel Upgrade menu.  Once you're running DSM 7.1 version open Package Manager, search for Emby and then install it. Installing it from Package Manager will automatically use the correct version so do this the first time.

Once you're up and running you can download new versions from our website which we post right away while Synology takes days to a week to do the approval process.
Also on this page you'll see the release version at the top and the beta version under it.  I've circled which item you would choose.  You NAS is using an Intel Celeron CPU which is 64 bit so it's the first item.

Hope that help!

Happy Streaming,
Carlo

image.png.cc4e1044db8496354728380c10f77000.png

Jifeng4ever
On 4/2/2022 at 9:21 AM, cayars said:

@Jifeng4ever what @Happy2Play is getting at is that if it's running DSM 6 you want stop whatever you're doing and update it to DSM 7 or better yet 7.1 before you start installing to much.  Synology made a few major changes between versions 6 and 7 which makes a lot of work on you migrating 3rd party apps not written by them.

So don't install Emby yet. Do the upgrade first thing from Control Panel Upgrade menu.  Once you're running DSM 7.1 version open Package Manager, search for Emby and then install it. Installing it from Package Manager will automatically use the correct version so do this the first time.

Once you're up and running you can download new versions from our website which we post right away while Synology takes days to a week to do the approval process.
Also on this page you'll see the release version at the top and the beta version under it.  I've circled which item you would choose.  You NAS is using an Intel Celeron CPU which is 64 bit so it's the first item.

Hope that help!

Happy Streaming,
Carlo

image.png.cc4e1044db8496354728380c10f77000.png

thx, the System already have the service app that i need

24 minutes ago, Jifeng4ever said:

thx, the System already have the service app that i need

Are you all set now?

Jifeng4ever
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you all set now?

yes bro, it is all done, emby service develiered a perfect to my home. i  really enjoy it, but when i play 4k movie and it has a little bit laggy, maybe i should buy premiere service. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jifeng4ever said:

yes bro, it is all done, emby service develiered a perfect to my home. i  really enjoy it, but when i play 4k movie and it has a little bit laggy, maybe i should buy premiere service. 

Nothing specific to your situation but some general 4K/NAS general info that may be beneficial.

When you get to large resolution files your bitrate is also proportionally higher as well compared to 720 or 1080 FHD video.  Generally speaking it's going to be 4x 1080 and then some as the resolution is 4 times higher.  Typically the audio tracks are higher bitrate and often you'll have graphical subtitles. So it can easily get to be 6 or 8 X more bandwidth then a typical 1080p movie so you want to be aware of these types of things.

You want your environment to be setup as perfect as possible to have lag free viewing for these types of videos.  It's best to avoid WiFi use completely, instead relying on 1Gb or better Ethernet that will be both consistent and reliable compared to WiFi which can be something of a wildcard.  Ideally, you want your daily Emby app of choice to be able to play back these videos natively.  That means having built in support for the type of video and audio at the hardware level.

Some types of HDR due to their proprietary nature can only be viewed this way. One example is Dolby 4K disks which comes in different profile levels.  Some Dolby discs will have an HDR10 4K version or Enhanced 1080p version available as well.  So in order to play back the actually Dolby vision video would require your player to support it directly. If not and it has to be transcoded it will use the HDR10 or Enhanced 1080p version instead if present or will fail as there is nothing that can be done otherwise for a proprietary format.
https://avdisco.com/t/demystifying-dolby-vision-profile-levels-dolby-vision-levels-mel-fel/95

Emby tries to give you the best of both worlds by allowing you to have and play these proprietary formats given the correct hardware and will fallback to transcoding when it can.  So you as the admin need to be aware of what type of media you acquire and setup your libraries accordingly.  For example you could have a Dolby 4K library but not share it with anyone by default unless you know they can play it and will only use that version when using a device that will play it!

When you can't direct play a 4K HDR10+ video, Emby can transcode it as well as tone map the video so it doesn't look washed out.  It can most of the time also handle graphical subtitles and produce 4K SDR video as well.  This is really demanding and hard to do. No other media server can do that.  Most can't touch graphics subs at all with tone mapping or need to transcode down to 720 or use low bitrates like 2 to 4Mb.  Emby spent a lot of time engineering and testing our tone mapping algorithms to come up with the leading solution yet for any home media server.  Emby is able to tone map 4 or 5 streams on some setups that others can't get 1 stream.  It's pretty impressive.

That's all great if running a monster PC but our little NAS boxes are a different "beast".   Surprising Emby can made this mostly possible as well if using a NAS that's Intel based with a graphical processor built in featuring a recent version of QuickSync.

I have a Synology 920+ with a 4 core J4125 Celeron which is the big brother to your 220+ with it's 2 core J4025 CPU.  However they both feature the same Intel UHD Graphics 600 GPU  which has QuickSync.  The specs for our Graphics are almost identical.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/197307/intel-celeron-processor-j4025-4m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/197305/intel-celeron-processor-j4125-4m-cache-up-to-2-70-ghz/specifications.html
The only difference I see is 50MHz difference in burst speed, but don't think that factors in for this type of tone mapping and transcoding.

By being careful of the 4K media I acquire, making sure to get Dolby profile versions I can direct play and/or making sure it has backup video (enhanced 1080p/HDR10+) gets me 70% of the way.  I then check what audio tracks are present to make sure I have a compatible format.  If not I'll run it through a converter to create a new audio track or two including a 2 channel stereo track (many bedrooms are 2 channel audio only).  Now I'm about 95% of the way to having 4K video that will always direct play.

If I must have graphical subs for a foreign film then I can try and source a test based subtitle through Emby from Open Subtitles.  If I get one I'm still Gold. Otherwise I'm probably going to have to let it transcode and except that which Emby usually handles fine.

So there's a lot of general info mentioned that's just good to keep in mind for planning your future libs.  Hope you find some value in it.

Carlo

• Like 1