Reports for Media Quality

marauder

marauder

I've got the latest version of both the Statistics and Reports plugins. I love the plugins, but I'm looking to to see if there's a way to get a report of what files are of what quality.

The statistics plugin shows how many files of each quality type I have, but not what those files are. The report plugin gives me all the info on codecs, paths, file size, video height and width, but not their quality. Right now I'm using the height parameter on reports to get a rough idea of how they maybe calculated. 

I'm trying to clean up my files, and upgrade my lower quality files.

rbjtech

Are you looking for a bitrate figure ?

Quality is going to be very subjective, just because it has a decent bitrate, it doesn't mean it is high quality ;)

I would use 'Width' to get me a baseline, 4K, 1080p, 720p etc - anything SD these days (to me) is poor 'quality'.

720p is my minimum baseline as that still looks 'acceptable' on a large screen.

I have some scripts that use MediaInfo CLI that pulled this resolution/bitrate data into a CSV file when I did this exercise a few years ago - would that be useful ?

Edited by rbjtech

marauder
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Are you looking for a bitrate figure ?

Quality is going to be very subjective, just because it has a decent bitrate, it doesn't mean it is high quality ;)

I would use 'Width' to get me a baseline, 4K, 1080p, 720p etc - anything SD these days (to me) is poor 'quality'.

720p is my minimum baseline as that still looks 'acceptable' on a large screen.

I have some scripts that use MediaInfo CLI that pulled this resolution/bitrate data into a CSV file when I did this exercise a few years ago - would that be useful ?

I am using this chart from the statistics plugin. I want to if possible(some may not exist) get all files to a minimum of 720p. I then want to go through some of the 720/1080 and upgrade them to their next quality up. 

Using the Reports plugin, I pulled all of my Movies. I was then looking for an easy way to sort them by quality. I have the quality in the file Path name, but there's not a filter directly for it. So I was going to height as that seemed to have the largest variance and assumed a lower height would be a worse quality video, as it mas more likely to have to be stretched, to fit on a bigger screen. The width to me, doesn't seem to give me much info.

The script you mentioned could by quite useful. Emby has all that data already as its displayed with each movie, so was hoping I could pull it from it's database, just like the reports plugin does.

My final goal is to then re-encode files to x265 to save some space. I plan on encoding them prioritizing SSIM over compression.

20220330182457731.jpeg

20220330183041612.jpeg

20220330183024727.jpeg

20220330182902614.jpeg

rbjtech

Height is used when the video is letterboxed - ie has black bars at the top and bottom.  It generally has nothing to do with the quality.

Bitrate in combination with Codec will give you a 'general' view of the quality but no more.   As I said above, you can have a very well encoded 1080p h264 file @ 2Mbit which looks far superior to a badly encoded/poor source 1080p h265 file @ 20Mbit.

My personal view is do not re-encode to h265 - it is simply not worth the storage savings and you WILL lose quality doing it.   If you are encoding from the original source - then great, that is probably worth doing - but with AV1 around the corner, personally I'd wait.

MediaInfo CLI will also give you far more detailed Info that Emby can.

You'll need to download mediaInfoCLI yourself - but this is the batch script to scan the folders in 'library.txt' with MediaInfo using the file 'template.txt' and dump to 'output.txt'

Copy this into a batch file .. 

@echo off

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

:START

del output.txt

FOR /F "eol= tokens=1 delims=" %%E IN (library.txt) DO (

FOR /F "delims=" %%x in ('dir /a-s /b /s "%%E\*.m??"') DO (

echo %%x

mediainfocli --Output=file://template.txt "%%x" >> "output.txt"
	)
)

:END
echo.
echo Finished.
echo.
pause

An EXAMPLE template.txt file

General;"""%CompleteName%"""
Video;,V#%StreamKindID%,%Title%,%BitRate/String%,%HDR_Format%,%HDR_Format_Profile%,%HDR_Format_Level%,%HDR_Format_Settings%
Audio;,A#%StreamKindID%,%Title%,%Format/String%,%Format_Commercial_IfAny%,%Channel(s)%,%Language%
\r\n

An EXAMPLE library.txt file

\\media\Films 4K

there are 100's of options available to query in MediaInfoCLI - you just need to modify the above template file - put the field in the correct heading - General, Video or Audio - see the text file - I quickly added Bitrate for you in the above template ... ;) :

parameters.txt

EXAMPLE CSV Output - output.txt.. Just dump into Excel etc and sort/filter as required.

"\\media\Films 4K\XXXX (2019) [tmdbid=X]\XXXX (2019) - Remux-2160p DV HDR TrueHD Atmos 7.1.mkv",V#0,4K HEVC Dolby Vision Remux,77.4 Mb/s,Dolby Vision / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4,dvhe.07 / ,06 / ,BL+EL+RPU / ,A#0,Dolby Digital 5.1,AC-3,Dolby Digital,6,en,A#1,Dolby TrueHD 7.1 with Dolby Atmos,MLP FBA 16-ch,Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos,8,en,A#2,DTS-HD:X MA 7.1,DTS XLL,DTS-HD Master Audio,8,en,A#3,DTS 5.1,DTS,,6,en
"\\media\Films 4K\XXXX (2007) [tmdbid=X]\XXXX (2007) - Remux-2160p HDR TrueHD Atmos 7.1.mkv",V#0,4K HEVC HDR Remux,59.8 Mb/s,SMPTE ST 2086,,,,A#0,Dolby Digital 5.1,AC-3,Dolby Digital,6,en,A#1,DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio,DTS XLL,DTS-HD Master Audio,8,en,A#2,Dolby TrueHD 7.1 with Dolby Atmos,MLP FBA 16-ch,Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos,8,en

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play

Have you clicked movie list or text based in Statistics plugin?

image.png.251c0fedd5db9fd33bd8111abbda96d3.png

image.png.0ef5e226315b36a163eb06f43e48c98f.png