Emby server using a lot of memory

Dax99

@Dax99 Depending on settings of the NAS the apps will use memory until the system needs it for running another program or for caching if the system is under heavy write load.

There is also a setting in newer Emby Servers that can be used to give the database more memory to use for better performance.  It's 96MB (yep just megs) by default but can be raised to 256 or 512 on most systems to feel a difference. Database menu->Database cache size (MB)

But if you haven't changed that then it sounds like you're systems been busy and it's being allowed to cache information to run faster.
Are you have any problems related to this or just curious about the memory growth?  BTW, that's likely to be about as high as you're going to see it unless you have a really large number of files.

DonMacaroni

I did notice Emby eating up to 1GB of memory, but only during inital library import, when it performs lots of scanning, thumbnail extraction, etc.
After that it rarely goes over 350MB, despite the fact I have tweaked DB memory (Music library access was quite slow, without it) to 512MB.

clessy
On 4/2/2022 at 3:47 AM, cayars said:

There is also a setting in newer Emby Servers that can be used to give the database more memory to use for better performance.  It's 96MB (yep just megs) by default but can be raised to 256 or 512 on most systems to feel a difference. Database menu->Database cache size (MB)

Hello,

where can i find this this menu item?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, clessy said:

Hello,

where can i find this this menu item?

Thanks.

Hi @clessy it will be one of the main options in the Emby Server web interface in the upcoming 4.7 server release. Thanks.

Yes, it get's it's own menu item too. 
image.png.05cdb6fc287ff6d9fd6088b4508e868d.png

You can adjust the amount of memory used specifically for database use, set a shutdown optimization that's pretty fast as it bases this decision off of X records (vs whole database) and of course allows you to set Emby to do a database defragmentation/optimization on the next startup.  This get's unchecked once done until the next time you want to use it.

Good sfuff!

clessy
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi @clessy it will be one of the main options in the Emby Server web interface in the upcoming 4.7 server release. Thanks.

Thank you for the feedback. When will Release 4.7 be released?

• 2 months later...
fjruhl

I just upgraded to 6.10.3 to see if this would fix the problem. nope emby is using 100 percent of memory and wont give it back.