Emby HEVC Transcode Killer

bakes82

CassTG

Just for info, just tried this on .32 beta server (linux docker), installed plugin, rebooted server, selected a 4k HEVC file from a library ticked in the plugin settings enabled kill video transcoding, video showed as transcoding in the dashboard playback was not stopped in either Chrome or Edge

Update

Apologies, i will leave my original message up so i remember to not be a spanner, i had ticked the Librarys thinking that meant include the library, if i had bothered to read the title i would of seen that meant excluded. Only when i checked the logs did i see it was playing because it was exluded not included

Works a treat, thank you

Edited by CassTG

bakes82

Good to hear, yeah the boxes are to EXCLUDE as it says ;) also good to hear it works on the beta I only tested it on the current stable 4.6. something.  I tried to put some decent logging in to help at least show what's going on.  Its possible something like a roku or firestick could report back different data or not honor the "stop" request I send but I dont have those to test with so I keep my fingers crossed it works.

• Thanks 1

bakes82
14 minutes ago, MangoMC said:

Same for me. Tried on latest stable. No matter what I tick it just happens nothing 

maybe try posting what your config is/device, or look in the logs.

2022-03-26 00:19:51.295 Info Emby HEVC Transcode Killer: Kill Audio: False, Kill Video: True
2022-03-26 00:19:51.296 Info Emby HEVC Transcode Killer: File in excluded directory /media/Movies : /media/Movies/2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) - x265 DTS-X HDR 7.1 PHOCiS Bluray-2160p {tt0322259}.mkv ignored killing.

2022-03-26 00:17:33.087 Info Emby HEVC Transcode Killer: Kill Audio: False, Kill Video: True
2022-03-26 00:17:33.087 Info Emby HEVC Transcode Killer: Is Direct Audio: False, Is Direct Video: False, Video Codec: hevc
2022-03-26 00:17:33.087 Info Emby HEVC Transcode Killer: Kill Video

MangoMC

Ok, its working, but i dont understand how. I always wanted a feature that when 4K is transcoding and theres also a 1080p version its using that instead

But now thats what its doing, i choose another bitstream limit and voila its playing the other h264 1080p version and thats why it didnt killied the stream

Great, Thanks, 

bakes82
39 minutes ago, MangoMC said:

Ok, its working, but i dont understand how. I always wanted a feature that when 4K is transcoding and theres also a 1080p version its using that instead

But now thats what its doing, i choose another bitstream limit and voila its playing the other h264 1080p version and thats why it didnt killied the stream

Great, Thanks, 

Correct, it only kills HEVC which most 4k is in HEVC.  1080p is usually 264 not 265.  But if you have your 1080p in a folder like /media/movies  and your 4k in /media/movies 4k  you can exclude the /media/movies folder.  That way if you have a 1080p 265 movie and want to allow it to transcode you can.  This is how most of the "arrs" work since you need a diff folder for each arr to put media in ;)

MangoMC

That's exactly what I'm doing. 2 radarr. 2 sonarr. Different path. Same library and grouped. Now exactly what I wanted the last 2 years

Cool. :D

bakes82
23 hours ago, MangoMC said:

That's exactly what I'm doing. 2 radarr. 2 sonarr. Different path. Same library and grouped. Now exactly what I wanted the last 2 years

Cool. :D

1 Bitcoin plz.

• Like 1

CassTG

possible something like a roku or firestick could report back different data or not honor the "stop" request I send but I dont have those to test with so I keep my fingers crossed it wor

I only tested on chrome Edge and shield. I will test tomorrow on LG and Samsung TV. And if no one does it before will test a firecube in next week or so when I'm round my mates

Edit actually I have remote control of all their devices ha ha ha insert evil malevolent  laugh here,so I shall get it to play a 4k hevc file remotely and see from dashboard if it kills it won't know if message is delivered however

Edited by CassTG

• 2 weeks later...
Mookdog

@bakes82 Any chance of adding the pause kill back in ? I liked that function on the previous plugin but the previous plugin no longer works with latest beta. Keeps coming up with errors

Mook

bakes82
18 hours ago, Mookdog said:

@bakes82 Any chance of adding the pause kill back in ? I liked that function on the previous plugin but the previous plugin no longer works with latest beta. Keeps coming up with errors

Mook

Id have to see if you keep it paused if it keeps sending a status back, the HEVC is a rewrite of the 4k so if it sends back a status while still paused every so often it should be fine, if not it might be a diff plugin to use the old schedule task way.

bakes82
On 4/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, Mookdog said:

Mook

New release is on github, I didnt do a bunch of testing on it since its along the same line as the killing code so let me know, in my testing it did kill my paused video.

Mookdog
23 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

New release is on github, I didnt do a bunch of testing on it since its along the same line as the killing code so let me know, in my testing it did kill my paused video.

That worked @bakes82 thank u so much for your effort brother. Now I am a happy camper lol

Mook

• 1 month later...
Mookdog

Seems as if pause kill isnt working in latest server beta. It worked the previous beta but seems to have stopped on this latest one. I have my pause kill set to 2 minutes and I had a video paused for 5 minutes and it never killed it.

Mook

Edit : Nevermind it looks like its working. It did kill my stream on my tablet. Will update if I have anymore problems

Edited by Mookdog
Resolved

Mookdog

Hey @bakes82 seems the pause kill no longer works on the latest android tv app. Works fine on regular android app but not android tv

Thanks

Mook

bakes82

@Mookdog I updated the API of the server version, dunno if that will do anything or not, attach logs, I think if you look for the thing below in the logs you might have an error, or maybe they implemented some new function that needs called instead.

Emby HEVC Transcode Killer:

Mookdog
1 hour ago, bakes82 said:

@Mookdog I updated the API of the server version, dunno if that will do anything or not, attach logs, I think if you look for the thing below in the logs you might have an error, or maybe they implemented some new function that needs called instead.

Emby HEVC Transcode Killer:

That worked thanks so much @bakes82

Mook

zyfinity

@bakes Is it possible to have an interval check duration thats shorter than 1 minute? I got around this for the previous 4k kill plugin you made by changing the task interval file within emby, but it seems on this new plugin (thats definetly better) if i try using a fraction of a minute it just resets back to 5 minutes?

bakes82
On 5/26/2022 at 5:49 AM, zyfinity said:

@bakes Is it possible to have an interval check duration thats shorter than 1 minute? I got around this for the previous 4k kill plugin you made by changing the task interval file within emby, but it seems on this new plugin (thats definetly better) if i try using a fraction of a minute it just resets back to 5 minutes?

Interval check on what?  Paused time?  Are you saying you dont want any paused sessions?  Im pretty sure in the code I have it set for >0 else default to 5 where old code probably didnt do that.

Edited by bakes82

• 3 weeks later...
MangoMC

Hey

Ive got a Feature request u can maybe add. 

A play after a while stop. Means. When someone is playing without stop a few hours the play will be killed. Reason ive got a few friends which are stupid to press stop and just put there TVs off and the Stick is playing. Direct play or transcoding doesnt matter. 

Maybe thats possible :)

• Agree 1

Mookdog
10 hours ago, MangoMC said:

Hey

Ive got a Feature request u can maybe add. 

A play after a while stop. Means. When someone is playing without stop a few hours the play will be killed. Reason ive got a few friends which are stupid to press stop and just put there TVs off and the Stick is playing. Direct play or transcoding doesnt matter. 

Maybe thats possible :)

Man this is a great idea. I got alot of bozos (My mother included) Who does that also

Mook

• 3 weeks later...