QN94A - errors - incorrect assumption of device capabilities?

staticmotion

SamES

I've tested all the samples that have been provided.  They work fine on older models.

So, from the evidence so far

• Only impacts 2021 NEO models
  • Occurring on firmware 1904 and firmware versions prior to this release.

I'm not even sure if I'd get a sensible response from Samsung on this one.

It is interesting that it works fine via USB.

maxiniedermeier

Yes thats the weird thing

Maybe thats a thing with the newer Models because there are some other small issues within the app on the 2021 Modell

In my opinion it looks like there were made some changes in the firmware which are not ''well optimized'' in the App

• Agree 1

staticmotion

Yes it's clear it's something that Samsung have to fix. And this will potentially affect more and more models going forward.

Do you guys have contact with the appropriate Samsung staff?

Yes we have a developer support channel we can contact them with. I don't see much coming out of that though, so we may just have to make sure it plays ok with transcoding.

staticmotion

In terms of transcoding then we really need 25i to be deinterlaced to 50p and not 25p. This is going to affect DVD rips and most of those will be 25i and not 25p in a 25i container

We already do, usually. I'll have to refresh my memory but I think it might not be supported with nvenc. Anyway the diagnostics plugin will let you play with search and replace on the final command line so you can do some experimentation with that and see how it goes.

staticmotion

Ah okay, it definitely isn't at the moment for me. Any tips on what to use on the search/replace option? If I'm just adding then how does the search part work?

Thanks!

maxiniedermeier

So would it be possible to add a 576p Option in the Quality setting to get the most out of the original file.

As a little workaround🤔

On 3/25/2022 at 2:36 PM, maxiniedermeier said:

So would it be possible to add a 576p Option in the Quality setting to get the most out of the original file.

As a little workaround🤔

Hi, what would that accomplish?

maxiniedermeier

The content is transcoded from 576p to 480p with the option it would play at the original resolution?

• 2 weeks later...
maxiniedermeier

Any news on this topic

Also am i wrong with the assumption that the video ressolution is downgraded when it's transcoding

I could start a new thread in the feature request section to add this function

Maybe this would also help with live tv content cause it's also 576p

SamES

Can you try using the portable version of the Emby server (release not beta) and test with a small library to see if it has the same problem?

3 hours ago, maxiniedermeier said:

Also am i wrong with the assumption that the video ressolution is downgraded when it's transcoding

It depends on the quality setting in the app.

maxiniedermeier

@SamES Yes i will try this the next days.

@Luke Yes, but it is set to "Auto" and it's not direct playing on the 2021 Modells so it transcodes to 480p the next best available setting.

So if there would be the 576p option it will play or transcode at the original resolution without as much loss of quality.

• 1 month later...
maxiniedermeier
On 4/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, SamES said:

Can you try using the portable version of the Emby server (release not beta) and test with a small library to see if it has the same problem?

Sorry for the late update.

I have tested it with the portable version of the stable release and theres still the same problem. Right now i have installed version 1.2.8 of the app.

If you could make a USB install version to test i could test it. @SamES

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm also having similar problem with samsung QN91A. PCM stereo audio is transcoded to aac (when I disable transcoding TV direct streams PCM  audio but then audio doesn't play at all). I know TV supports this format because when  playing it from usb stick using samsung's proprietary player everything works fine. Could you take a look at the issue ? What is the progress of fixing it ?

image.thumb.png.4af9c4b2a0860d3edb66cd4b32d43751.png

ffmpeg-remux-ee8024c4-a542-47c6-9c0e-5d8017c7ea63_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by Elmah

12 hours ago, Elmah said:

Hi,

I'm also having similar problem with samsung QN91A. PCM stereo audio is transcoded to aac (when I disable transcoding TV direct streams PCM  audio but then audio doesn't play at all). I know TV supports this format because when  playing it from usb stick using samsung's proprietary player everything works fine. Could you take a look at the issue ? What is the progress of fixing it ?

image.thumb.png.4af9c4b2a0860d3edb66cd4b32d43751.png

ffmpeg-remux-ee8024c4-a542-47c6-9c0e-5d8017c7ea63_1.txt 193.82 kB · 1 download embyserver.txt 517.97 kB · 0 downloads

If you disable transcoding and get no sound with PCM audio selected then you have just proven that the specific PCM format is not supported.  I think from memory it’s the LE variant that is the issue. 

What happens if you put this file on a USB drive, connect it to the TV and play the file using the TV’s built in media player?

You might also want to try the 1.6.4 USB build as there have been improvements to track selection since then (just in case that is the issue). Hopefully we'll have the app  updated in the store soon.