QN94A - errors - incorrect assumption of device capabilities?

staticmotion

staticmotion

Hi. I've just got a Samsung QN94A TV and have found these problems with Emby (note that I've allowed transcoding of video and audio in user settings):

MPEG2 files fail with "Playback Error = no compatible stream".

PCM audio is being transcoded. Both 2 channel and 6 channel sound. Both 16 bit and 24 bit. PCM audio is acceptable to the TV, as verified by playing files from a USB stick. My Samsung Q90 TV also play the files without needing transcoding.

HDR HVEC transoding fails. The network speed of the TV is around 77mps, so I set the profile to 4K 60 Mbps, i.e. to transcode files above that bitrate to avoid stuttering (Westworld UHD rips are around 40 Mbps and play fine through the network, Crash UHD rip is around 90 Mbps so would stutter). Playback fails with "Playback Error = no compatible stream".

I've attached all the logs when just going through these three scenarios.

thanks

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9f193659-04b2-42a7-ad3a-d3c6fabf6bfa_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-6fe0b9d5-faf5-49c3-abb6-c2abc5325cfb_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ba8d5ab9-7216-46ba-b940-96bddbd503d4_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ad2de3fc-dc27-49cf-89fe-858fb8d368b9_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-d156d24f-1ae8-41cc-a888-e5f33061275b_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ae5a56f1-6d9d-416d-b624-d852ff2c7eb5_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-185b1641-081a-4f94-8366-3e6e9d8eac36_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-87a95360-89b1-4b01-83b7-062c2c267b97_1.txt

Hi, try setting these customizations back to default:

>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264Nvidia.NvidiaPreset: Original:  Actual: lossless
Warning EncoderParametersH264Nvidia.RateControlMode: Original:  Actual: constqp

staticmotion

Thanks Luke, that's fixed the transcode errors so at least makes Emby more usuable again!

However, MPEG2 files are still being transcoded to H264 - which shouldn't happen. And files with PCM audio are being transcoded to AAC - again, shouldn't happen.

cheers

SamES
44 minutes ago, staticmotion said:

However, MPEG2 files are still being transcoded to H264 - which shouldn't happen. And files with PCM audio are being transcoded to AAC - again, shouldn't happen.

Can you please attach a new ffmpeg log when this occurs.  MPEG2 video files are enabled for DirectPlay on all Tizen models, so I suspect there was a playback error and it has fallen back to transcode to play the file.  the ffmpeg log will tells us if this is the case.

SamES

Actually it looks like this is a 90Mbit file and you have a 60Mbit limit set somewhere which is also causing it to transcode

staticmotion

The 90Mbit file problem has been resolved, after Luke's suggestion of resetting the transcode options. High bitrate files are now transcoding as expected.

The MPEG2 and PCM problems need addressing. The logs I uploaded in my first message are from demonstrating all three problems. If the multitude of problems is becoming confusing I suggest we start by looking at the MPEG2 problem. There is a Direct Play Error on every file (DVD rips), which are all played correctly from USB, and all played correctly on my Q90. The problem is not within the file(s) or the TV capabilities.

staticmotion

The log "ffmpeg-transcode-ae5a56f1-6d9d-416d-b624-d852ff2c7eb5_1.txt" is from playing a MPEG2 file

SamES
2 hours ago, staticmotion said:

The log "ffmpeg-transcode-ae5a56f1-6d9d-416d-b624-d852ff2c7eb5_1.txt" is from playing a MPEG2 file

Can we get a new log after you’ve made the changes that Luke suggested as it will change the output?  Thanks

staticmotion

Will do that now. Although, as transcoding is now working it transcodes to H264 rather than Directplay

SamES

It looks like for some reason DirectPlay in the client is just failing, so it is automatically falling back to transcode

TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError

SamES

Try putting the file on a USB drive and connecting it directly to the TV and test playback using the TV’s internal player to see if that works. 

staticmotion

Sorry for the delay. MPEG2 files (DVD rips) play perfectly from USB. Fail when played through Emby

SamES
4 hours ago, staticmotion said:

Fail in the sense that it resorts to transcoding, as above 

If you can PM me a link to the file for download, I will try it out

staticmotion

I can do SamES, but as every single MPEG2 file I’ve tried results in a DirectPlay error - and all of them play perfectly through the same Emby server on my other Samsung TVs, and on the QB94A through USB - would that actually be helpful? It seems some interaction between the model (and then potentially other new Samsung models) and Emby is causing the problem, not the files themselves

SamES
12 hours ago, staticmotion said:

I can do SamES, but as every single MPEG2 file I’ve tried results in a DirectPlay error - and all of them play perfectly through the same Emby server on my other Samsung TVs, and on the QB94A through USB - would that actually be helpful?  It seems some interaction between the model (and then potentially other new Samsung models) and Emby is causing the problem, not the files themselves

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  For some reason, this is only occurring on 2021 Neo models.  Same problem here for this user.  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/106928-576p-videos-werden-transkodiert

However, I don't believe this is anything Emby is doing.  DirectPlay error is caused normally by the TV's internal player, I don't think it is anything we have control over.  Has this always been a problem for these videos on this model TV, or did it work correctly at some time?

staticmotion

I’ve only just bought the QN94A so I don’t  know if this has been caused by an update. I’m on firmware 1904 fyi.

Do you guys have contact with Samsung engineers and can raise this issue? It’s not only MPEG2 but PCM as I outlined in the first post. I’ll contact Samsung support but I doubt I’d get through to the appropriate level!

17 hours ago, staticmotion said:

I can do SamES, but as every single MPEG2 file I’ve tried results in a DirectPlay error - and all of them play perfectly through the same Emby server on my other Samsung TVs, and on the QB94A through USB - would that actually be helpful? It seems some interaction between the model (and then potentially other new Samsung models) and Emby is causing the problem, not the files themselves

Can you please still send him a sample video for testing? Thanks.

SamES
7 hours ago, maxiniedermeier said:

I've had the tv for about a year and haven't noticed any different behavior til today

Can you please check your firmware version?

I've tested a sample here on my older TV and it still DirectPlay's without issue.  At this stage, it seems to only affect newer 2021 NEO models based on these two reports

maxiniedermeier

My TV has Version 1904 since mid January

In older Versions the problem was also there

Just tried App Version 1.2.5 and still the same behavior

Edited by maxiniedermeier
  • Like 1