music not playing on carplay

chart100

Spiff6418

Went though a few more use cases if that may help...

With car on driveway, I went through "Album" path and "Latest Music" path.

First I used CarPlay with Wifi (Phone in airplane mode) and a different cable than yesterday:
- got a few misdirected messages about Premiere being required (although server has premiere "on"),
- then a few messages about "problem loading this content",
- then a few blank screen, it seems the content is loaded but does not display because when getting out of that display and right back in then the content shows (same behaviour with Album list or Song list for 1 Album)
- more messages about "problem loading this content"

Finally song plays after a couple of attempts to get it playing.

Second I used Android Auto with Wifi

Very similar behaviour wrt "problem loading this content". However the Android Auto seems more responsive, and one gets to the music playing with less frustration

Third I used CarPlay with 4G (Wifi off) and the same different cable than yesterday (car still in driveway not mobile)

Similar behaviour as above CarPlay with Wifi

Finally I used CarPlay with 4G (Wifi off) and original cable (car still in driveway not mobile)

Similar behaviour as above CarPlay with Wifi

As a side Note my Library is as well huge as mentioned by some other people in this topic. Ultimately I got music playing but the car was immobile. It seems that owing to the time it takes to get content one gets frustrated and in a fast moving car handover between cell could be an issue (not sure)...

Attached the logs recorded during the tests above.

embyserver.txt

As I have already written above:

The problem seems to be that Emby needs to load the content of the whole folder or the whole playlist when using Carplay. If the folder/playlists contains hundreds of MB of data this can take a long time, depending on the quality of the mobile connection.

I have checked this over the last couple of months over and over again within IOS (-> Settings -> Mobile Data -> Current Period):

When using the Emby app alone (without Carplay), it starts to play immediately (and does not nearly download the same amount of data) while when using with Carplay it downloads the exact amount of data in the folder/playlist. This is not only annoying, but also a problem for many people who do not have a flatrate for mobile data.

Together with the impossibility to use Downloads in Carplay this makes emby virtually unusable with Carplay.

Emby Server Version 4.8.0.42 beta

Emby App Version 2.2.10

IOS Version 16.6

Best regards,

Andi

chart100

I gave up on using Emby for CarPlay. Dev appears somewhat uninterested in properly understanding and fixing the actual issue, which is quite frustrating as a paying user.

Edited by chart100

• 2 weeks later...
issmail82

It's a shame, because it's the only thing keeping me using Plex. Please give some love to the CarPlay experience. If you need any assistance I will be happy to help.

• 1 month later...
bravoland2

I have the same issue as others regarding Carplay and the random timeouts   @Luke is there anything I can do to help test what is causing this or how to get more reliable results from carplay?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
issmail82

Hi,

Any ETA for this, as it's a dealbreaker (not working at all and no workaround as much as I know) ?

Thanks !

On 1/2/2024 at 10:05 AM, issmail82 said:

Hi,

Any ETA for this, as it's a dealbreaker (not working at all and no workaround as much as I know) ?

Thanks !

Hi, we are working on improving it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Tormentor667

Just joining the thread - I have the same problem  running at 2.2.17.

Dear Luke, when can we expect a solution for that issue?

issmail82

Thanks Luke, but is there no timeline for when this can be fixed ? It’s kind of an emergency as there’s no workaround…

• 2 months later...
dpslabber

I just moved over from plex where the carplay experience was amazing. I'm finding the Emby experience really bad in comparison. Pretty unseable. Is there any update on this? It appears that the original issue reported still exists. Im on the latest server, ios app.

issmail82

Yeah this is just embarrassing for a music player to not be able to play even one single track, and to let this linger for months...Can I please have my money back because seriously if I have known I wouldn't have made the switch :(