Using Emby WITHOUT Internet

DPILabs

Hi. That is only one of the reasons.  There are other forms of abuse not restricted by any timeframe.  The bottom line is we live in a connected world at this point and some degree of connectivity is necessary.

Thanks.

justinrh
8 hours ago, ebr said:

and some degree of connectivity is necessary.

I don't see why.  I've purchased software that I never have to contact the company in any way ever again.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I don't see why.  I've purchased software that I never have to contact the company in any way ever again.

I have to and it never sees any updates also or you have to buy a new product version.  So if Emby were to ever change their model then would expect every major versions to be a new product that needs repurchasing if any changes were to happen.  No matter how you look at it there is no method that would work for everyone and still protect Emby.

moviefan

I think there might be ways that haven't been considered.

DBPowerAmp is a music converter application that doesn't allow major version upgrades without paying for it.  You buy it, install it, and it works.  Want to upgrade, and you need a new key.

Palo Alto firewalls have subscriptions for software firewalls tied to virtual instances.  If you want to migrate your license, you need the old one to be online to decommission the license and migrate it successfully.  If it was destroyed somehow you have to go through a manual process that takes forever with their support to wipe out the old license registration and move it.

I don't really have a player in this race.  At the moment none of it concerns me.  My only concern is some sort of catastrophic event that disrupts the power grid or internet over a wide area and breaks my media capabilities at the same time.  I would love the capability to be able to move something like Emby into a bunker if and when our world falls apart due to climate change or war (civil or international).  At a minimum I'd like for it to continue working in some sort of chaotic circumstance at my house to allow me to wait it out.

But sounds like it will just stop working in this circumstance which would suck.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, moviefan said:

DBPowerAmp is a music converter application that doesn't allow major version upgrades without paying for it.  You buy it, install it, and it works.  Want to upgrade, and you need a new key.

Palo Alto firewalls have subscriptions for software firewalls tied to virtual instances.  If you want to migrate your license, you need the old one to be online to decommission the license and migrate it successfully.  If it was destroyed somehow you have to go through a manual process that takes forever with their support to wipe out the old license registration and move it.

Neither of those are palatable options for us (or our users I imagine). The first is forcing people to constantly re-pay for new versions - which used to be the model for software 20 years ago but really isn't anymore.  The second also was a widely used method in the early days but it is so much of a hassle when one needs to transfer machines or upgrade or a hard drive goes out or whatever that it is rarely used anymore.

7 hours ago, moviefan said:

My only concern is some sort of catastrophic event that disrupts the power grid or internet over a wide area and breaks my media capabilities at the same time.  I would love the capability to be able to move something like Emby into a bunker if and when our world falls apart due to climate change or war (civil or international).  At a minimum I'd like for it to continue working in some sort of chaotic circumstance at my house to allow me to wait it out.

Honestly, I think we'll all have much bigger concerns in that particular instance than whether or not we can watch our movies :).  However, it is only Premiere features that would be disabled.  You could always use the web app to watch your local media in your bunker (if you have power).

• Like 1

How about adding a pay option like a bank check that can not be withdrawn or claimed fraud by the issuer for people that want to own their license outright?

4 hours ago, Jamr said:

How about adding a pay option like a bank check that can not be withdrawn or claimed fraud by the issuer for people that want to own their license outright?

As I said that is not the only form of abuse that can happen.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:26 AM, ebr said:

Hi. That is only one of the reasons.  There are other forms of abuse not restricted by any timeframe.  The bottom line is we live in a connected world at this point and some degree of connectivity is necessary.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest worthington_j

I'm getting ready to build out a 2nd Emby server on a laptop to use when we go camping.  When we go camping we do not have access to the internet.  I do not have an issue connecting the laptop to the internet and validating my premiere license before we leave, but my question is how long will it last? Sometimes we are gone for 1 or 2 weeks.  I don't want to build this out only to have my license expire in a few hours or even a few days.

justinrh
5 minutes ago, worthington_j said:

I don't want to build this out only to have my license expire in a few hours or even a few days.

To be sure, the client apps you'll be using require a license?

justinrh

I know it would be paying twice, but I think the app is dirt cheap.  @ebr If you buy the app then it would always work w/o Internet access, right?

Happy2Play
40 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I know it would be paying twice, but I think the app is dirt cheap.  @ebr If you buy the app then it would always work w/o Internet access, right?

All Premiere apps whether unlock or Premiere key validate and is cached I believe for x days.

2 hours ago, worthington_j said:

Sometimes we are gone for 1 or 2 weeks.  I don't want to build this out only to have my license expire in a few hours or even a few days.

Don't know the exact amount of time it is cached but Server and Client have independent validations.  You always have a browser that is Free for all non-Premiere features.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@justinrhI am probably wrong but ebr would have to elaborate on Unlock as it is done via user account app store info.  But would assume it still requires a validation process whether with store or Emby admin server.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, ebr said:

As I said that is not the only form of abuse that can happen.

Well for me I am sick of being tied down by corps trying to bleed me every month of a fee so I do like the lifetime membership.
I also live off grid sometimes and do not have access to the internet but would would still like to access my media collection in a home theater setting which unfortunately does not include an internet browser experience.

I am currently with Plex right now and their lifetime license and it's restrictions, meaning it has to check in periodically, is not working for me.

I was going to buy a Emby "Lifetime Premiere" license as I heard it does not need the internet to work completely but apparently that is not correct as it apparently has the same restrictions as Plex's license.

If you were to provide a "Lifetime License" for a comparable price that does not need the internet to work I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Can you think of a better way to get some Plex users to jump ship and swim on over?

A good business knows when to take advantage of a weakness in its competition.
Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice to be able to request and side load a new client license for systems that are off grid.  It is easier to take a phone to town and get an update than to take an Android TV device.

Gilgamesh_48
On 9/29/2022 at 8:10 PM, Jamr said:

If you were to provide a "Lifetime License" for a comparable price that does not need the internet to work I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Can you think of a better way to get some Plex users to jump ship and swim on over?

If this were reasonably possible both Emby and Plex would do it. The problem comes in when you think about how to restrict the license to just the device or account that purchased it. The only effective way I can think of is a hardware key of some kind that attaches to the client device. There are ways to do that but I think it is either prohibitively expensive or excessively complex.

I do not really think that Emby has any reasonable way to assure that each device that uses premium features has a valid license. Copying files between devices is just too easy. 

The first company that finds an inexpensive way to assure compliance without verifying through the internet will have a quite literal "gold mine." It has not been solved, yet, by anyone and I believe this may be one of those problems that sound simple but is really close to impossible. Sort of like touching your right elbow with your right index finger. That one "can" be done but it requires breaking something or cutting off your hand.

chacawaca

Personnally if server can validate the key and act as a proxy or cache for apps, that will solve me some problem, i have some tv with no access to internet cause i dont want kid to go on youtube. 

Edited by chacawaca

visproduction

What about using a USB teather to mobile and use mobile data?  Then request a emby license confirmation.  If you can initiate the confirmation from insde Emby, then you just need to remember to connect like this within the time out period.  

I don't have any of this setup in my gear.  I think it might work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
moviefan
On 10/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, chacawaca said:

Personnally if server can validate the key and act as a proxy or cache for apps, that will solve me some problem

That's pretty much exactly how it works today.

chacawaca
On 11/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, moviefan said:

That's pretty much exactly how it works today.

last time I tested, premiere on tv app stop to work after a certain time if device don't have access to internet, even if server have access to internet all the time.

10 hours ago, chacawaca said:

last time I tested, premiere on tv app stop to work after a certain time if device don't have access to internet, even if server have access to internet all the time.

Yes, that is correct.  The apps need to validate the device limit.

chacawaca
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, that is correct.  The apps need to validate the device limit.

is there a way to use Emby server like a proxy as a second source if device can't reach internet ?