Unable to play in 5.1 surround sound

Jerin20

Jerin20

Hi, I recently switched from Plex Media Server to Emby. However all my videos play in stereo and not in 5.1 surround sound, even though the same file plays perfectly with surround sound in Plex.

The emby client app runs on my Android Sony Bravia TV (model no. KD-75X8500D). I've attached the log file for your review. The movie I'm trying to play is American Sicario (in case you're searching for the file content).

My TV is connected to the amp via an optical cable. All other apps like Amazon Prime, Netflix etc. work just fine with surround sound. I also tried using the VLC player for android TV as an external player for emby, but it still plays in stereo sound. Can you help me fix this.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

GrimReaper

Hi, what options (if any) you have listed/selected under Settings>Playback tab>Audio output in your AndroidTV app?

Jerin20

It's all in its default settings:

• Max streaming bitrate = Auto
  • Play next episode automatically = checked
  • Show up next preview = checked
  • Show pre-playback medial selections = checked
  • Enable still watching prompt = unchecked
  • Allow screen saver during pause = checked
  • Resume rewind = none
  • Enable cinema intros = checked
  • Allow direct play of TS files = unchecked
  • Skip back length = 10 seconds
  • Skip forward length = 30 seconds
  • Player buffer size = small
  • Deinterlace SD content = unchecked
  • Deinterlace HD content = unchecked
  • Use external player for videos = unchecked

GrimReaper

Ok, could you provide MediaInfo for the item that's not playing properly. Next, can you play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

After submitting logs, post following info:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Once you do that, you might sideload beta version of the app:

as it should expose Audio out options (that you're currently lacking) even on unsupported systems so we might test some.

Edit: To give some context, your TV specs list following:

1348832837_Screenshot2022-03-10185240.png.0c96a77039000bef49c8b37401ded5eb.png

Wild guess would be you're trying to play unsupported audio (like DTS-HD MA or some other, so MediaInfo would be welcome), hence it's been downmixed to stereo. Once beta installed, you should have an option to "Convert unsupported audio to DolbyDigital" which seems supported fairly well with both AC-3 and EAC-3 (in addition to HE-AAC) being listed there, which will hopefully solve your issue.

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Jerin20
  • I've attached the media info file
  • The log file has been sent from my android app at Current time in UTC/GMT-5 time zone is 02:03:28.
  • "Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem" - I was playing the movie file named "American Sicario (2021)", and the emby app only plays it in stereo sound even though the soundtrack is 6 channels.
  • The Emby user name on the local server is Jerin

American Sicario - MediaInfo.txt

GrimReaper

As guessed above:

MediaInfo:

Movie name                               : American Sicario 2021 1080p BluRay DTS-HD MA 5.1 x264

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS XLL
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Commercial name                          : DTS-HD Master Audio
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Wild guess would be you're trying to play unsupported audio (like DTS-HD MA

Try beta with above "Convert..." option selected. Though, tbh, if TV reported DD & DD+ support, app itself should be handling it a bit better, converting instead of downmixing, @ebr?

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Jerin20
  • I'll try to install the beta app. Just to clarify, is this an older version of the emby android TV app? Will the current app ever by upgraded with this "convert" feature?
  • Alternatively, can I just convert the audio track to Dolby Surround using a third party app (like Handbrake) and try playing it again?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Jerin20 said:

I'll try to install the beta app. Just to clarify, is this an older version of the emby android TV app? Will the current app ever by upgraded with this "convert" feature?

Current Release version is 2.0.48, and current Beta is 2.0.70 RC (Release Candidate), so I would assume it will hit stable soon enough, inside next two-three versions. 

4 minutes ago, Jerin20 said:

Alternatively, can I just convert the audio track to Dolby Surround using a third party app (like Handbrake) and try playing it again?

Sure you can. 

Jerin20

I tried a couple of other movies too (see MediaInfo files attached):

• Ammonite - selected the second audio stream (DTS) on the emby android app, and it still plays in stereo
  • King Richard - selected the second audio stream (Dolby Digital) on the emby android app, and it still plays in stereo

I'm yet to try the handbrake conversion on American Sicario but don't expect the app to respond differently than the above files. What's wrong then ?

Ammonite - MediaInfo.txt King Richard - MediaInfo.txt

GrimReaper

Logs will show, so you'll have to wait for Dev's response. My guess would be your TV does not report support for any of them (hence there's no Audio Out option in your current stable app version, which exposes options only according whatever is reported, as opposed to beta that exposes it on all systems), so they're all being downmixed to stereo. Again, that's speculation only, before your logs have been looked over and/or you test it on beta. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Jerin20

Ok, so should I expect a reply from Dev after they've examined my first log file (American Sicario)? And should I try the beta app in the meantime ?

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Jerin20 said:

Ok, so should I expect a reply from Dev after they've examined my first log file (American Sicario)?

Yep. 

3 minutes ago, Jerin20 said:

And should I try the beta app in the meantime ?

That's up to you, I would. 

1 hour ago, Jerin20 said:
  • I've attached the media info file
  • The log file has been sent from my android app at Current time in UTC/GMT-5 time zone is 02:03:28.
  • "Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem" - I was playing the movie file named "American Sicario (2021)", and the emby app only plays it in stereo sound even though the soundtrack is 6 channels.
  • The Emby user name on the local server is Jerin

American Sicario - MediaInfo.txt 5.54 kB · 1 download

@ebr will take a look at this. Thanks.

Jerin20

I just installed the Beta version 2.0.70g. Went to play back settings -> Audio Output, which was defaulted to 'Auto'. Tried playing the first video file (American Sicario) - same result - the sound still outputs as stereo. 

Tried playing the second and third files - still outputs in stereo. 

Tried changing the Audio Output playback settings to 'Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital' - this time my amp displays Dolby Digital for just a second and then goes back to stereo sound. 

I've sent a log file again from the beta app right now. The user name logged in my server is Jerin. The movie file I'm trying to play is 'Ammonite' 

Jerin20

Here's also an image of my TV audio settings.

The default setting is Auto 1 - which is like a pass-through to the amp. All apps like Plex, Prime and Netflix work fine with surround sound. I've tried Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM with the emby android app but the output always ends up as stereo. Please help.

TV Digital Audio Output Settings.jpg

seanbuff

While we wait for @ebr to comment, I will ask the question. Are you able to possibly swap out the optical cable for a HDMI connection?

Jerin20

I think it's definitely gotta be a configuration setting somewhere on the emby server or client application side. If Plex can allow it emby should definitely have it in there somewhere.

GrimReaper

Can you share a screenshot of your User settings Media Playback section (dashboard>Users>Click User>scroll a bit down)? And does your amp/receiver have HDMI In?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Jerin20 said:

Emby Server? This one.. ?

Jerin - Emby Server - User Settings.jpg

Nope, Users tab, 7 tabs below. 

10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

dashboard>Users>Click User>scroll a bit down

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Jerin20 said:

Try this..

Jerin - Emby Server - User Settings - 1.jpg

Almost 😉

26 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Can you share a screenshot of your User settings Media Playback section

Scroll a bit up. 

Edit: These are all speculations until we get info from your logs, checking possible reasons. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append