Still trying to figure out stuttering issues on mini-PC

pmac

generiq
1 minute ago, pmac said:

And can I just delete the ET folder? or should I run a proper uninstall?

Just delete it, and reinstall.

It looks like you don't have a conf

@generiqI just reinstalled, changed the video settings to gpu-next, auto copyback and the stats for nerds haven't changed. Hardware acceleration is still blank.

Edited by pmac

generiq
2 minutes ago, pmac said:

I just reinstalled, changed the video settings to gpu-next, auto copyback and the stats for nerds haven't changed. Hardware acceleration is still blank.

Ok, I need a log...

In that mpv folder, create a file called mpv.conf

Open that file in a text editor, and add the logging line.

log-file=" "

Between the speech marks you need to enter the address where to save it. Maybe your desktop? The string needs to include the file name e.g log.txt.

Play the file once and attach the log

24 minutes ago, generiq said:

Ok, I need a log...

In that mpv folder, create a file called mpv.conf

Open that file in a text editor, and add the logging line.

log-file=" "

Between the speech marks you need to enter the address where to save it. Maybe your desktop? The string needs to include the file name e.g log.txt.

Play the file once and attach the log

log.txt

generiq
[   0.838][d][ffmpeg/video] hevc: No decoder device for codec found
[   0.838][e][ffmpeg/video] hevc: Failed setup for format dxva2_vld: hwaccel initialisation returned error.
[   0.839][v][vd] Pixel formats supported by decoder: d3d11va_vld d3d11 cuda yuv420p10le yuv420p10le
[   0.839][v][vd] Codec profile: Main 10 (0x2)
[   0.839][v][vd] Requesting pixfmt 'yuv420p10le' from decoder.
[   0.864][d][mkv] stream 0: resize index to 128
[   0.903][v][vd] Falling back to software decoding.

Yeah, 10 bit hevc isn't supported, so it's falling back to software. I am curious to see if 8 bit will play via copyback. Try an 8 bit hevc with auto copyback enabled.

Edited by generiq

5 hours ago, generiq said:
[   0.838][d][ffmpeg/video] hevc: No decoder device for codec found
[   0.838][e][ffmpeg/video] hevc: Failed setup for format dxva2_vld: hwaccel initialisation returned error.
[   0.839][v][vd] Pixel formats supported by decoder: d3d11va_vld d3d11 cuda yuv420p10le yuv420p10le
[   0.839][v][vd] Codec profile: Main 10 (0x2)
[   0.839][v][vd] Requesting pixfmt 'yuv420p10le' from decoder.
[   0.864][d][mkv] stream 0: resize index to 128
[   0.903][v][vd] Falling back to software decoding.

Yeah, 10 bit hevc isn't supported, so it's falling back to software. I am curious to see if 8 bit will play via copyback. Try an 8 bit hevc with auto copyback enabled.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about formats and codecs; where does it say that it's 10 bit? I have a bunch of different media formats, is there an easy way for me to find an 8 bit hevc within my library? Or would it be simpler for me to just convert a file to test with? 

GrimReaper

where does it say that it's 10 bit?

Look at the bottom of item's detail page, Media info section, under Profile.

4 minutes ago, pmac said:

is there an easy way for me to find an 8 bit hevc within my library?

Not easy easy, but shouldn't be too hard either: filter your library for HEVC only, look at few items Media Info details, wherever it says "Profile: Main" is 8-bit. You don't want Main 10 profile.

11 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Not easy easy, but shouldn't be too hard either: filter your library for HEVC only, look at few items Media Info details, wherever it says "Profile: Main" is 8-bit. You don't want Main 10 profile.

OK, great. Thanks, I'll have a look

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

8-Bit HEVC seems to play a lot better, but I didn't have time to really watch through very much to check for playback issues. From a quick test I didn't notice stuttering though.

Do you have a suggestion on a (relatively) simple way to convert my 10-bit files to 8-bit? Using Windows 10.

If there were a way to automatically find and batch convert only 10-bit HEVC files it would obviously be preferable, but I'm not sure if that's something that's possible or not.

I'm assuming ffmpeg is likely the standard approach, but I also have a Proxmox machine I could spin up a version of Linux on to use something like tdarr if that would be more efficient.

Unless you have a better suggestion for getting the files to play better in their current format.

Untitled.jpg.82306c24290ebe935c4d29ddfb9f47ea.jpg

log.txt

generiq

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Let's see if direct hardware acceleration will also work. Switch it to auto and play an 8 bit hevc.

As for making an 8 bit, you can just handbrake. There should be an option to select 8 or 10 bit encoding. 

47 minutes ago, generiq said:

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Let's see if direct hardware acceleration will also work. Switch it to auto and play an 8 bit hevc.

As for making an 8 bit, you can just handbrake. There should be an option to select 8 or 10 bit encoding. 

Do you need a screenshot of the stats for nerds? Or just mpv log? 

53 minutes ago, generiq said:

Stats should be good enough 

Here is a screenshot with it set to auto1267970749_Screenshot_20230128_130227_RemoteDesktop.jpg.d7dac90e62e961f246596820a5f5002e.jpg

generiq

Well, you've got full hardware acceleration, but it's still dropping frames. Did you add the last line to the conf, that I suggested? If yes, remove it and test again. If no, add it and test again. If both have been tried and frames are still being dropped, it would appear that your GPU is struggling to keep up. 

If all else fails, you could lower your display refresh rate to 30hz . The menu might be a little jittery, but by outputting half the amount of frames that need to rendered, the GPU should be able to keep up very easily.

51 minutes ago, generiq said:

Well, you've got full hardware acceleration, but it's still dropping frames. Did you add the last line to the conf, that I suggested? If yes, remove it and test again. If no, add it and test again. If both have been tried and frames are still being dropped, it would appear that your GPU is struggling to keep up. 

If all else fails, you could lower your display refresh rate to 30hz . The menu might be a little jittery, but by outputting half the amount of frames that need to rendered, the GPU should be able to keep up very easily.

Unfortunately I've tried with, and without that line.

Looks like I might just be SOL with this mini-pc. I'm currently playing around with Tdarr on my main HTPC server and setting up filters to automatically transcode all 10-bit HEVC content to 8-Bit HEVC, but I'd imagine it will take a LONG time on my machine. Anyway, I've currently got it set up to create new files in a test folder so I can check out the quality before overwriting my media files.

If that doesn't work, I'll stick to using the Web App for now, and probably eventually look into upgrading to a Shield Pro for the bedroom (or would something cheaper suffice for 1080p? I basically have no use for it's gaming capabilities and I'm not up on the current hardware being used at all).

generiq
33 minutes ago, pmac said:

Unfortunately I've tried with, and without that line.

Looks like I might just be SOL with this mini-pc. I'm currently playing around with Tdarr on my main HTPC server and setting up filters to automatically transcode all 10-bit HEVC content to 8-Bit HEVC, but I'd imagine it will take a LONG time on my machine. Anyway, I've currently got it set up to create new files in a test folder so I can check out the quality before overwriting my media files.

If that doesn't work, I'll stick to using the Web App for now, and probably eventually look into upgrading to a Shield Pro for the bedroom (or would something cheaper suffice for 1080p? I basically have no use for it's gaming capabilities and I'm not up on the current hardware being used at all).

Try lowering your display refresh rate to 30Hz. You might be surprised at the result. Video playback will be smoother in general.

8 minutes ago, generiq said:

Try lowering your display refresh rate to 30Hz. You might be surprised at the result. Video playback will be smoother in general.

Unfortunately that didn't seem to help. What I did notice, however is that when I switched to 30p it completely changed the brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. of the picture. Why would that be? I noticed something similar happens when I enable display refresh rate switching and my TV switches to 24p for certain movies. The image color, sharpness, everything looks a lot different than it does at 60hz (even still images, or my desktop).

generiq
1 minute ago, pmac said:

Unfortunately that didn't seem to help. What I did notice, however is that when I switched to 30p it completely changed the brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. of the picture. Why would that be? I noticed something similar happens when I enable display refresh rate switching and my TV switches to 24p for certain movies. The image color, sharpness, everything looks a lot different than it does at 60hz (even still images, or my desktop).

That almost sounds like HDR mode is kicking in. Is the computer HDR compatible? If yes, look in your display settings and turn it off. That would definitely add to the processing. And in some circumstances can only be enabled at 30Hz or lower.

8 minutes ago, generiq said:

That almost sounds like HDR mode is kicking in. Is the computer HDR compatible? If yes, look in your display settings and turn it off. That would definitely add to the processing. And in some circumstances can only be enabled at 30Hz or lower.

My TV is only SDR and all Windows HDR settings don't seem to be possible for me to enable.

generiq

My TV is only SDR and all Windows HDR settings don't seem to be possible for me to enable.

Weird! Maybe your display is switching settings somehow? Anyway, could you do me a favor, switch to 30Hz, and show me the stats from Theater?

generiq

And here's one last test, just to satisfy my curiosity. Unzip the folder to your desktop. In the folder, you'll find mpv.exe , double click on it. Then drag n drop your video on it. It will play automatically. Press shift+i to bring up the stats. How does this compare to Theater?

mpv test.zip

40 minutes ago, generiq said:

Weird! Maybe your display is switching settings somehow? Anyway, could you do me a favor, switch to 30Hz, and show me the stats from Theater?

1468586066_Screenshot_20230128_182326_RemoteDesktop.jpg.66ef98d63f9bc51e75f85c5b4a4d95ad.jpg

I'll try that mpv test in just a minute

generiq
3 minutes ago, pmac said:

1468586066_Screenshot_20230128_182326_RemoteDesktop.jpg.66ef98d63f9bc51e75f85c5b4a4d95ad.jpg

I'll try that mpv test in just a minute

And there's no hardware acceleration! Oh wait, that's the 10 bit. You need to test with the 8 bit