eLearning Content

adijay

Hi folks, forgive me in avance if the subject I'm bringing has already been discussed, but I found nothing on my research.

So I have been maintaining for 10+ years now a emby server on a local machine with a debian headles distro.

Everything worked fine so far but now I've been trying to add eLearning / Training content. The folder strcture is similar to this:

/media/Partition 1/eLearning/Course 1
	Course 1/Module 1
		Module 1/Movie file 1.mp4
		Module 1/Movie file Z.mp4
		Module 1/PDF File 1.pdf
	Course 1/Module X
		Module X/Movie file 1.mp4
		Module X/Movie file Z.mp4
		Module X/PDF File 1.pdf
[...]
	Course Y/Module 1
		Module 1/Movie file 1.mp4
		Module 1/Movie file Z.mp4
		Module 1/PDF File 1.pdf
	Course Y/Module X
		Module X/Movie file 1.mp4
		Module X/Movie file Z.mp4
		Module X/PDF File 1.pdf

All of the files are owned by emby:emby (user:group) and have full read/write/execute permitions for both user and group.

Some of the courses may have a deeper folder structure (eg. chapter folders inside each module) but I think this pictures well the scenario.

So my first assumption when added this to emby was to create a mixed content type of library. And so I did, pointing to the directory /media/Partition/eLearning directory, but when scanning the directory/library, no files are added.

So I tried what would be for me the second logical thing that was to create a TV Show library with the same characteristics but still no luck

Could you please point me in where did I go Wrong?

However, this "issue" has another twist. On another partition, let's call it partition 2 (the one I keep my movies and TV shows files) I created a folder for troubleshooting purposes and copied there some of the elearning courses, all permissions were set and emby started loading those folders on a test created library for this purpose, under Mixed files.

Going back, I added to this library the folder mentioned above. Still wouldn't load any of the courses. on the same partition added a second directory (let's call it elearning2), started copying  some of the courses/folders one by one and they started to appear on emby library.

What am I missing.

Please feel free to as or correct me if my post sounds confusing at some point.

Thank you!

Hi, you might have better luck with the home videos content type as it won't try to fit the videos into movies or tv. Please let us know if that helps. Thanks.

Hi Luke! 

Thank you for the tip.

Just tested it and in fact with a sample folder it loads the courses but only under the folder section, not the "videos" one. 

However I'm trying with the large main folder just to check it out

Nonetheless, it started working with the "workaround" I've mentioned lastly on my post.

One other question regarding this, is there a forecast for when will emby support pdf files? Or at least "list them" inside the folder and allow for it to be downloaded?

It would be a great help

Thanks

Or at least "list them" inside the folder and allow for it to be downloaded?

This should already be possible with a books library, it's just that currently this is all you can do.

Only on books library but not on mixed content?

I happen to have a library organized with Ubooquity that supports both reading and downloading for a multitude of digital publications (pdf, epub, mobi, azw3, cbr, cbz ecc).

However on this particular case it would be helpful as these pdf files are related to and inside the same folder as the course's videos. 

Regarding the initial question I "accidentally" managed to solve it, by creating a new folder, pointing the library (mixed content) to such folder, setting the right premissions 

chown emby:emby -R /media/partition/folder

chmod -R 755 /media/partition/folder

and adding the course's folders one by one.

To be honest I'm not sure what have I exactly done to make it work but will try out and investigate. 

So far so good, the only thing lacking (though I haven't fully tested it to support my statement) is to keep track of the position you left (in terms of "episode") like in TV Shows kind of medi

13 hours ago, adijay said:

the only thing lacking (though I haven't fully tested it to support my statement) is to keep track of the position you left (in terms of "episode") like in TV Shows kind of medi

We do support this just fyi.

Only on books library but not on mixed content?

For now only in books, but it's possible that with more development of the books feature we may end up enabling it for mixed content.