Emby won't play on Shield What Am I Missing?

KenFlix21

I've tested the newest beta and it does work after you move it to internal storage 

But I've noticed another problem. Just like it's happening to Plex it seems that hardware transcoding isn't working.

Back when Emby was starting to implement hardware transcoding I helped Emby devs to speed things up.

It happens that I still have the files that I used to benchmark the transcoding speed and I'm only getting 17 fps which is most likely the culprit of all that freezing I'm getting now playing the same two old files on the same hardware I used back then.

I've attached some logs and a picture I've taken from stats for nerds. 

Hope that helps

@Luke

Screenshot_20220309-041104.png

IMG_20220309_035838637.jpg

embyserver (2).txt ffmpeg-transcode-d5d8488c-ef21-41cd-8125-e6e7c4d723b6_1.txt hardware_detection-63782386573.txt

5 hours ago, hbbs said:

I've tested the newest beta and it does work after you move it to internal storage 

But I've noticed another problem. Just like it's happening to Plex it seems that hardware transcoding isn't working.

Back when Emby was starting to implement hardware transcoding I helped Emby devs to speed things up.

It happens that I still have the files that I used to benchmark the transcoding speed and I'm only getting 17 fps which is most likely the culprit of all that freezing I'm getting now playing the same two old files on the same hardware I used back then.

I've attached some logs and a picture I've taken from stats for nerds. 

Hope that helps

@Luke

Screenshot_20220309-041104.png

IMG_20220309_035838637.jpg

embyserver (2).txt 982.46 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-d5d8488c-ef21-41cd-8125-e6e7c4d723b6_1.txt 911.94 kB · 1 download hardware_detection-63782386573.txt 137.9 kB · 0 downloads

What about with other files?

1 hour ago, hbbs said:

Hi,

I've not been able to to duplicate your results and would like to try it with the same media.
Would you be able to provide this episode of The Wheel of Time for us to use testing?

Does this only happen with media containing large amounts of subtitles?

Just curious, looking at the logs it appears you running the server on a ShieldTV and storing files on a Raspberry Pi? <--The little NAS that could :)

27 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi,

I've not been able to to duplicate your results and would like to try it with the same media.
Would you be able to provide this episode of The Wheel of Time for us to use testing?

Does this only happen with media containing large amounts of subtitles?

Just curious, looking at the logs it appears you running the server on a ShieldTV and storing files on a Raspberry Pi? <--The little NAS that could :)

Sure. I just PM'd you with a link in order for you to download it. 

No. It is happening with other HEVC files with one subtitle. (I have attached a log with one case of that)

About the RPi. Yes it serving me files all those years  I have a USB HDD Case connect to it.

Screenshot_4.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-14d41ff8-a8e6-4d10-a4b9-12355d0ad716_1.txt

KenFlix21

FYI: An app called DLNA Channels works well as a player on the shield using Emby as the server on that same shield. 

090A5290-A0B1-4208-BBC4-636D42CE1229.jpeg

When using the DLNA Channels app on the Shield, how does it handle the same files you're currently having an issue with in Emby?

KenFlix21
9 hours ago, cayars said:

When using the DLNA Channels app on the Shield, how does it handle the same files you're currently having an issue with in Emby?

It will play everything through Emby server, while Emby shield client will play nothing. It appears I can’t seem to skip backwards, I’ll have to investigate that further. 

Kodi on shield will also direct play everything flawlessly.

Another work around - since Emby client plays on my iPhone I can cast to shield as well.

Not ideal, but all three of those work arounds are solid. 

Ps i haven’t migrated my data back to internal as it’s an impractical solution. These newer shields simply aren’t designed to store data.

1 hour ago, KenFlix21 said:

Ps i haven’t migrated my data back to internal as it’s an impractical solution. These newer shields simply aren’t designed to store data.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  If you installed the server on external storage, I believe you will have to move it to internal for Android 11.

KenFlix21

It appears I only have to if I need to use the emby shield client as a player. Since I don't, I won't. 

No, I think you got that backward. The server needs to be installed on Internal.  It doesn't have the the correct permissions or rights when ran external.

This was mentioned by one of the devs earlier in the thread.

KenFlix21
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

No, I think you got that backward. The server needs to be installed on Internal.  It doesn't have the the correct permissions or rights when ran external.

This was mentioned by one of the devs earlier in the thread.

Honestly, I think that's simply an excuse. As I've stated earlier, with the emby server installed on an external drive attached to the shield the emby client on my Apple devices plays all video without issue. The Emby client on my shield and roku refuse to play video served by the same emby server. Though I can play the video served by the emby server on the DLNA channels app on the same shield it is being served from. I believe my three Android 11 workarounds are more practical for me than those recommended by the devs.

If it's a problem being on external storage as was mentioned earlier then anything  direct playing will be fine.  Anything that requires a remux or transcode will fail as it won't have needed permissions.

However, I've been testing this on Internal storage and think I may be able to reproduce this.
Let me communicate what I found to @Luke as we can see if this is possible the problem or not.

Carlo

Hi.  There are two issues here.  The server does need to be on internal storage on Android 11 - which the Shield recently updated to.  But then, after that, we had a build problem with the beta server on the Android platform that caused the same type of failure.  The latest beta version, I believe, corrects that.

• 2 weeks later...
KenFlix21

FYI: I installed EmbyCon on Kodi 19 and it works like a charm. Emby app on shield still won’t play exact same files. 

15 hours ago, KenFlix21 said:

FYI: I installed EmbyCon on Kodi 19 and it works like a charm. Emby app on shield still won’t play exact same files. 

Can you try the latest update to our standard app and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

KenFlix21
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try the latest update to our standard app and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

It's not available on the shield through google play store. If I go to my google account to install through the web it shows not compatible with my shield (see screenshot). Is there a url I can use to download the apk using the downloader app on my shield?

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 12.27.56 PM.png

KenFlix21

I was able to download and install the apk. It does react differently but with the same result. Before it would attempt to load for some 15-30 seconds then an incompatible stream error message would pop up and mark the video played. Now the video is almost immediately marked played and the error message pops up about 10 seconds later. Video attached.

7 hours ago, KenFlix21 said:

I was able to download and install the apk. It does react differently but with the same result. Before it would attempt to load for some 15-30 seconds then an incompatible stream error message would pop up and mark the video played. Now the video is almost immediately marked played and the error message pops up about 10 seconds later. Video attached.

IMG_4003.MOV

Do you have the server on internal storage?

KenFlix21
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Do you have the server on internal storage?

I’m not interested in trading one problem for another.